Are All Targa's Sections Black?

swisspens

To all Sheaffer Targa experts around here, I have a tricky question for you.

Are all Targa's sections made of black resin?

I know they are all interchangeable.

But what about limited editions? The section of the 1083 laqué ivoire for Harrods in 1989 (100pces) is black.

Is the 1067 also black for instance?

Just asking, because it appears I have in my possession a section that is not black.

I'm not talking about the slimlines, as red sections are known to exist.

Thanks for your answers! :-) Cheers from Switzerland.

William

"...над кем смеетесь? над собой смеетесь!..." Гоголь, Ревизор

www.123stylo.com

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• swisspens

• Ron Z

• PenHero

• Brian-McQueen

Yes, All black. The Imperials can be found in other colors, but never the Targa.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Thanks Ron Z.

What about that?:

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/123chrono/IMG_4605_zpskel1tdmf.jpg

I personally don't believe in discoloration:
1) as the part between the threads and the ring is black
2) as the dark green color is regular all around the section

www.123stylo.com

I helped unload and sort the parts that went to Hampton-Haddon Marketing in Philadelphia, which was the Sheaffer service center for a few months of 2008, before it all was sent back to Ft. Madison. Before that Richard Binder and I were in the service center where all of the spare parts were kept. A rare opportunity to see inside the Sheaffer thinking and see stuff that does not, and has not made it into circulation. I sorted the nibs in Philly and put them on the shelves, including the Targa nibs. The only color was black.

The area between the trim ring and the threads is not plastic, but lacquered metal. The plastic can, and does discolor.

The Imperial nibs that were colors other than black were bright blue, red, cadmium yellow, medium blue, gray, green, burgundy and brown (desk pens). No dark green.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Hi Ron Z., thanks for your input. That was a rare opportunity I guess to see Sheaffer's production. Quite amazing!

Back to my section: if I read between the lines, you say the one on the right is discolored? If so, how come I'm the only one so far to have this? Would it be possible that the plastic on the section has a slightly different composition than others, more prone to change over time? And when black plastic discolors, what color does it turn?

What color do people here see?

So many questions, so many black Targas sections. my head is spinning.

www.123stylo.com

I see a black section. I suppose that there may be slight variations in color from lot to lot, but not significant, nor anywhere near enough to call the color anything other than black.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

Hi Ron Z., thanks for your input. That was a rare opportunity I guess to see Sheaffer's production. Quite amazing!

Back to my section: if I read between the lines, you say the one on the right is discolored? If so, how come I'm the only one so far to have this? Would it be possible that the plastic on the section has a slightly different composition than others, more prone to change over time? And when black plastic discolors, what color does it turn?

What color do people here see?

So many questions, so many black Targas sections. my head is spinning.

I see a black color also but photos are unreliable sometimes. With a little imagination I can see a forest green but looks black without imagination. I believe Ron Z .

Thanks gents,

Electrical light for this picture doesn't really show the nuance, I will try with natural light. Too bad its really cloudy here today.

Please understand I'm playing the devil's advocate here, given what I can see.

I think it's forest greenish, but I don't think this was the intended color for this section. Maybe discoloration, but all pens have always been capped. Maybe a different plastic compound that turned to this color over time. So strange to me.

www.123stylo.com

You may also want to review the Targas shown www.sheaffertarga.com.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com

I've also never seen anything other than a black section and don't recall any on that site, which is pretty comprehensive, including prototypes.

Hi Jim, thanks for chiming in. Indeed I haven't seen any on the sheaffertarga.com.

That said, this excellent website has also few missing elements, and may need to be updated a little bit.

www.123stylo.com

What?!?

Fellas, there are prototypes with different colored sections. I have a garnet slim with a matching section. They are rare and there is an old thread out there on this with pics of more.

We discussed it 3 years ago here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/219456-targas-matching-sections-and-nib-materials/?hl=%2Btarga+%2Bsections&do=findComment&comment=2317202

The bright red is killer!

Roger W.

Edited by Roger W.

Hi, Roger,

Way back at the OP, the question was about full size Targas. I think they are all black. Do you know of a full size color section? Would not be surprised to see a demo clear one, but not sure there are any colors.

Slimlines did have color sections, but I don't know of any full size Targas with anything other than black.

What?!?

Fellas, there are prototypes with different colored sections. I have a garnet slim with a matching section. They are rare and there is an old thread out there on this with pics of more.

Roger, thank you for digging this thread. Very informative. I wish we could find more pictures of these prototypes with matching section.

I'm even more confused right now. Do you think the one I posted could be a prototype?

Why discoloration on the one I have, and not on the thousands others people have...

www.123stylo.com

Roger, thank you for digging this thread. Very informative. I wish we could find more pictures of these prototypes with matching section.

I'm even more confused right now. Do you think the one I posted could be a prototype?

Why discoloration on the one I have, and not on the thousands others people have...

Your's is not a slim. So far I have not heard of any prototype standard Targas with anything but black sections.

My Website

My Targa collection currently stands at 130 Classic size fountain pens and 29 slim fountain pens, plus a small handful of spare nib assemblies in both sizes. Approximately 170 total Targa nib sections. Every single one of them is black.

That red section of Gary's would sure look nice on this pen:

http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/YET0EMjMz0jjUQ/3623137.0/800/p/Sheaffer_Slim_Targa%2C_Cloisonne_Fleur_de_Lis%2C_Red%2C_closed.jpg

But even this special edition just has the standard black nib assembly.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006