Hardest To Find Limited-Edition Or Discontinued Safari/ Al-Star Pens?

gammada

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gammada

• Cole_Phelps

• jdllizard

• Keyless Works

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's an impressive collection indeed, I'm still looking for a terrared or savannah green model. I assume it's like with most collectible things, you can get them quite easily but for a high price. Finding low priced terra / Vannah models seems almost impossible, unfortunately!

I've seen a trend on this regard. If you look for limited edition or discontinued pens on eBay, they fetch incredibly high prices. But on fountain pen sites, it easy to get your hands on real bargains. A guy here got his terracota and savannah pens for $175 each in mint condition.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking for a bright yellow safari with a black clip. This is incredibly hard to find. It's the focus of my search to eventually collect them all.

Is it possible to find a bright yellow with chrome clip? In that case you could buy a spare black clip and change it.

I seem to remember a topic a few weeks or so ago where they discussed this.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It is very tempting to collect these pens but I know I shouldn't :)

After the first one, resistance is futile!!

It's true, I fell down this rabbit hole of collecting a "few" Al Star Limited Editions. Now I have about a dozen but am still hunting for a Silver-Blue and a Raspberry. I'm really not trying to collect them all (I hope), I just want the ones that appeal to me. The Coffee Brown one for instance does nothing for me, I have no desire for that one.

post-117098-0-55761400-1449659149.jpg

Several duplicates not pictured.

John L

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible to find a bright yellow with chrome clip? In that case you could buy a spare black clip and change it.

I seem to remember a topic a few weeks or so ago where they discussed this.

D.ick

I've thought about that. There is one person on eBay but they want over $200. I also need the Flame to complete my poor man collection but can't afford that one either. Unless I get lucky and find the Savannah and Terracotta at a yard sale, I have realized I will never be able to afford them.

I've thought about that. There is one person on eBay but they want over $200. I also need the Flame to complete my poor man collection but can't afford that one either. Unless I get lucky and find the Savannah and Terracotta at a yard sale, I have realized I will never be able to afford them.

I've seen one or two LEs at a pen show for reasonable prices. Any near you? What about antique or consignment shops?

I would love to have the Savannah and TC. :)

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

How hard to find is the Al Star Ruby in Europe or USA?

Where I live (Brazil) I could find quite easily the silvergreen (with black nib and clip), the silverblue and others older anual editions like raspberry and coffe, but I was never able to find a Ruby.

How hard to find is the Al Star Ruby in Europe or USA?

Where I live (Brazil) I could find quite easily the silvergreen (with black nib and clip), the silverblue and others older anual editions like raspberry and coffe, but I was never able to find a Ruby.

You can still find Silver-Blue Lamy Al Stars? I've been hunting one for months but the only ones I can find are to expensive, same with the Coffee one. Do you think you might be able to help me out? In return I'll try and hunt you down a Ruby, though they run about $100 USD here.

Edited by jdllizard

John L

You can still find Silver-Blue Lamy Al Stars? I've been hunting one for months but the only ones I can find are to expensive, same with the Coffee one. Do you think you might be able to help me out? In return I'll try and hunt you down a Ruby, though they run about $100 USD here.

$100 USD?! Funny thing about the brazilian fountain pen's market is that the prices are usually very high but there are not many buyers so the pens take a long time to be sold out and the sellers doesn't have knowledge about what itens are rare, resulting in a regular al-star as the dark purple being sold at the same price as one limited edition from 2010.

About the silverblue of course I can help you! There are some places selling but they are charging more or less R$270 ($70 USD), what is very expensive.

$100 USD?! Funny thing about the brazilian fountain pen's market is that the prices are usually very high but there are not many buyers so the pens take a long time to be sold out and the sellers doesn't have knowledge about what itens are rare, resulting in a regular al-star as the dark purple being sold at the same price as one limited edition from 2010.

About the silverblue of course I can help you! There are some places selling but they are charging more or less R$270 ($70 USD), what is very expensive.

How much is shipping from Brazil to the USA? I'll gladly pay $70 for a silver blue al star as long as shipping costs aren't outrageous.

John L

• 1 month later...

It's true, I fell down this rabbit hole of collecting a "few" Al Star Limited Editions. Now I have about a dozen but am still hunting for a Silver-Blue and a Raspberry. I'm really not trying to collect them all (I hope), I just want the ones that appeal to me. The Coffee Brown one for instance does nothing for me, I have no desire for that one.

attachicon.gifFB_IMG_1449544849880.jpg

Several duplicates not pictured.

Oh dear! The Coffee Brown Al-Star is the one I keep searching for. So it is true. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. I have even written to Lamy recently endeavouring to persuade them to reissue the Coffee Brown Al-Star.

Ian

• 4 weeks later...

I kinda wish the 2008 Lime, the aquamarine, and the orange were not worth that much $$$ - I just want a few writers... not something too valuable to use

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you find these?? Are these some kind of "Year of the Monkey" edition? I'm in California too.

They are Year of the Monkey pens. They were made for Tripidi.com. (Germany) I bought them in January. I haven't seen any more, I think they might be sold out since they aren't listed on the website anymore.

• 3 weeks later...

I kinda wish the 2008 Lime, the aquamarine, and the orange were not worth that much $$$ - I just want a few writers... not something too valuable to use

The Copper-Orange Al Star is readily available through Amazon for regular prices.

Edited by jdllizard

John L