Should Have Bought More Eel

sidthecat

What do you mean I can't get any more?!!

Does Sailor just do one small run of their Bungbox colors, or do they make more every so often? I hope they make more Eel - it's such a fantastic color and it's easier to get your hands on German pharmaceutical heroin right at this moment.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• haruka337

• Martini1R

• sidthecat

• white_lotus

I believe bungbox ink is sold out. They are having troubles keeping up with the demand. I understand their ink line will be available next year.

The new batch is coming in. I emailed them before they told me they are stocking again this month. However, to my surprise, the new stock is going to be in the Sailor bottle (short, with the reservoir). I really like the old perfume style bottle. -_- :(

Not sure if Eel would be returning real soon. Does anybody find an alternative? How is it compared to MB toffee brown?

This isn't the Noodler's Eel inks, the inks that lubricate piston fillers, you're talking about right?

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

What do you mean I can't get any more?!!

Does Sailor just do one small run of their Bungbox colors, or do they make more every so often? I hope they make more Eel - it's such a fantastic color and it's easier to get your hands on German pharmaceutical heroin right at this moment.

Many factors come into play for the Bungbox shortage, but know that, for the foreseeable future, Bungbox will only release 8 colors at a time. The 8 colors will be dictated by "popular demand", which, I imagine, will be based off of Japanese demand.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

This isn't the Noodler's Eel inks, the inks that lubricate piston fillers, you're talking about right?

I think it's" Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel" ink, apparently a brown, a touch lighter than Montblanc Toffee Brown in one comparison scan that I saw.

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

Yes, the original poster is talking about Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

When I get home today, I will try to do a quick comparison for of Eel & Toffee for this thread.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Bungbox currently is out of the eight colors except for Dandyism and 4B. The prices are now 3240 yen (about $27 at today's exchange rate). Vanness has a few colors at $43 apiece.

It seems I didn't get to a review of the BB Eel when I had a pen filled, but it's definitely lighter, more of a golden brown rather than dark or reddish brown. At least that is what my notes indicate.

Bungbox will only release 8 colors at a time. The 8 colors will be dictated by "popular demand", which, I imagine, will be based off of Japanese demand.

I'm curious, what were the 8, do you know?

Bungbox currently is out of the eight colors except for Dandyism and 4B. The prices are now 3240 yen (about $27 at today's exchange rate). Vanness has a few colors at $43 apiece.

I noticed the other day that Vanness has removed their drop-down links on their website to both Bung Box and Kobe inks, so as far as I know you can't order them that way anymore. Dunno about calling/ emailing, though. I assume that has something to with the crazy demand/ constant selling out that's going on with Bung Box.

I am quite late to the Sailor ink game, so I keep waiting for the day (year?) when I'll actually be able to try this mythical ink! ;)

I'm curious, what were the 8, do you know?

I noticed the other day that Vanness has removed their drop-down links on their website to both Bung Box and Kobe inks, so as far as I know you can't order them that way anymore. Dunno about calling/ emailing, though. I assume that has something to with the crazy demand/ constant selling out that's going on with Bung Box.

I am quite late to the Sailor ink game, so I keep waiting for the day (year?) when I'll actually be able to try this mythical ink! ;)

Yes. The 8 inks in the following page: http://bung-box.com/products/list84.html

When Vanness goes to a pen show, they take their remaining stock of unique inks, such as Kobe and Bungbox, with them--they were just at a show this weekend.

Their remaining stock will likely go back up sometime this week, but you can call or email now. Shipping for Bungbox inks will be free.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Yes, the original poster is talking about Bung Box Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

When I get home today, I will try to do a quick comparison for of Eel & Toffee for this thread.

That would be awesome.

Here's a cursory ink comparison of Mont Blanc Toffee Brown and Bungbox Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel.

While looking at the following images, I'd like the viewer to keep a few things in mind:

1. I used a Matsubokkuri White Mole Glass Dip Pen to write the name of the inks; this glass pen distributes ink so evenly that high shading inks will not shade when using it. The written parts should not be taken too seriously
  2. The swab samples are one dimensional and light (as swabs often appear to be) and should not be considered representative of the ink color as a whole
  3. Ink splats are over saturated and should not be considered representative of the ink color as a whole
  4. Individually, each section of the ink comparison (ink cards) don't mean much, but, as a whole, I do believe that all three parts accurately displays the color range that is possible to achieve (depending on pen and nib used)

Compared to Kabayaki of the Hamanako Eel (Eel), Toffee Brown is rather blush:

fpn_1444750966__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

While Toffee Brown is a beautiful brown, it is rather dry and it shows in some of the letters. Eel, on the other hand, is nicely lubricated and the color! It falls within the sienna category for me:

fpn_1444750979__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

No sheen to be found, but the colors warm me. :happycloud9:

fpn_1444750994__montblanc_toffee_bungbox

I have to say, that looking at these two colors side by side, both inks are decidedly different, though very beautiful.

Toffee Brown is a poor substitute for Eel.

Ink, a drug.

Instagram:
a.transient.life

Thanks so much for the comparison. It is very useful and I have toffee brown and I can picture exactly what eel would like. At first I would imagine eel to be much darker and thick like sauce for the unagi :P But now I think the color is really more towards the actual color of the grilled eel BEFORE you put the sauce on LOL

And I also agree eel is a special color... I could not really think of another brown ink that is almost the same in color, especially the undertone.