The New Asa "galactic" Flat Top : A Review

Sagarb

post-120844-0-44368400-1444109014_thumb.jpg

New Asa Galactic

In my childhood when my father brought me something I looked forward to, such as a cricket bat or a color box, I didn’t want to keep it away for long. But I was not allowed to do that because my father used to return home late and that was my bedtime as well. So that almost was a sleepless night to me because the excitement to see it again kept me awake. The same thing happened after a long time when ASA Galactic came into my hand.

I was supposed to collect a Galactic from ASA pens. When I had a talk with Mr.Subramanium, he told me that a new model of Galactic has been launched which is a Flat Top version. I was a bit confused because its image wasn’t exposed in the website. But ultimately I went for it.

It was delivered in two days. After unwrapping it four words just escaped from my lips-“Oh…What a pen..”

post-120844-0-22363200-1444110815_thumb.jpg

The next day was a very busy one to me and the same sensation of missing a favorite object went through me. As in my childhood I couldn’t wait to be united with my favorite object – in this instance – the “GALACTIC” from ASA Pen.

Appearance & Design (9-10):-With a very modern approach and a unique style of translucent texture, “Galactic” has always been a work of art; and with its new flat top design it has become another masterpiece.

post-120844-0-94434300-1444111161_thumb.jpg

“Galactic” is a full bodied jumbo size acrylic pen and a handmade one. The combination of frosted and transparent mixture of it makes it always different from other demonstrators.

post-120844-0-61989100-1444111458_thumb.jpg

It is mostly foggy finished; only the section and approx. 3cm from the bottom of the barrel is crystal clear which looks so beautiful when the light passes through it.

post-120844-0-90490700-1444113376_thumb.jpg

It comes with a chrome trim and its teardrop clip ending makes it look more rich and dignified. The clip is very sturdy. May be a very thin chrome band around the cap would make it more gorgeous.

post-120844-0-66037700-1444112906_thumb.jpg

Moving beauty of the ink inside the barrel can’t take my eyes off.ASA Galactic‘ engraved on the barrel and looks magnificent after inking though the size of the engraving has been reduced now.

post-120844-0-87645000-1444111303_thumb.jpg

post-120844-0-49352600-1444116133_thumb.jpg

Construction & Quality(9-10):- This pen is very robust and you can feel its strength when you hold it. Its beautiful finish and solid construction prove that how carefully they have crafted this flawless masterpiece.

post-120844-0-10083200-1444113653_thumb.jpg

Weight & dimensions(8-10):-“Galactic” is a big pen but very well balanced and a good writer as well, especially for those with big hands.

post-120844-0-14353200-1444117116_thumb.jpg

According to its size it’s a light weight pen. I personally prefer to write with a pen posted but this pen is comfortable without posting.

post-120844-0-68302900-1444113777_thumb.jpg

Since it’s a large pen, after posting, the size looks little odd I think.

Length: 153 mm when capped and 137 mm when uncapped; 182 mm when posted. Cap length is 72 mm, section length is 19 mm and the length of the barrel is 96 mm.

post-120844-0-22451200-1444115663_thumb.jpg

Weight: 31 gm. when capped and 34 gm. when inked (I filled it till below the barrel threads).

Dimensions: Barrel diameter is 15 mm which tapers to 14 mm.Section diameter is 14 mm.

post-120844-0-19189000-1444116252_thumb.jpg

Nib & performance (9-10):- “Galactic” comes with a monotone ,iridium point,# 6 steel stock nib which can be upgraded to German made F or M nib of JoWo make.

post-120844-0-25621300-1444116751_thumb.jpg

The feeder is of course an ebonite one.

post-120844-0-40687100-1444116789_thumb.jpg

My pen started writing immediately after inking and it writes buttery smooth between F and M. Three kinds of paper I have used to test its writing skill, everywhere it has performed satisfactorily. I am very happy with the stock nib.

Filling System & Maintenance(9-10): - It is an eyedropper and holds a large amount of ink (just under the threads it is about 4 ml) which is great. I filled it with a syringe and the threads are quite tight so haven’t experienced any kind of leakage or ink drop yet. A knock out block will be needed to pull the nib out for cleaning or changing. It can be easily reassembled after that.

post-120844-0-17132400-1444116946_thumb.jpg

Cost & Value(8-10):- The price of this pen is US$ 32.00 ( Rs.1050.00) with stock nib and I think it’s reasonable. It is a handmade pen after all. Whoever will collect it, will be a worthy addition to their collection.

Conclusion:- Hmmm…what to say! I am very impressed with the “Galactic”, with its new flat top design. This will not be my daily writer I suppose. Everyone, whether he likes demonstrators or not should collect this pen for its exceptional beauty and stylish look. Those who already have a previous model of “Galactic”, I’m sure would love to include this to their collection.

post-120844-0-64932100-1444117236_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mr.Subramaniam, thanks all the FPN members for reading my review with great patience.

Edited by Sagarb

Sagar Bhowmick

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sagarb

• subbucal

• ctt1wbw

• Feanaaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great review of a great pen. I love the flat top design brought over to the Galactic.

Yes,the design is really great...

Sagar Bhowmick

I too have a galactic and use it everyday with a German nib xchange. The Hugh volume of ink really makes a difference, eve though is a wet writer the amount of ink it holds is just perfect. Looks like I gonna have to get the flat top version as well.

Good review and excellent pics !

Love the review and the photos. Yes, the Galactic needs to sun himself as he is looking a little pale. :)

I already have the Galactic with the rounded ends and I love to write with it. I wonder if the new Galactic could be acquired with a cartridge/converter feed. The amount of ink is not a problem for me, I just like the size and the fact that it does not have a step on the barrel.

Thanks.

Edited by Forsooth

I too have a galactic and use it everyday with a German nib xchange. The Hugh volume of ink really makes a difference, eve though is a wet writer the amount of ink it holds is just perfect. Looks like I gonna have to get the flat top version as well.

Good review and excellent pics !

Thanks very much..since this is my first Galactic, I have already placed an order for the round shaped one.

Sagar Bhowmick

Love the review and the photos. Yes, the Galactic needs to sun himself as he is looking a little pale. :)

I already have the Galactic with the rounded ends and I love to write with it. I wonder if the new Galactic could be acquired with a cartridge/converter feed. The amount of ink is not a problem for me, I just like the size and the fact that it does not have a step on the barrel.

Thanks.

This cartridge/converter thing also came to my mind, but at the same time I thought that viewing the sloshing ink through the frosted barrel, which made the Galactic more elegant,would have missed then.

Sagar Bhowmick

Brilliant review as your previous one. Photos - I have no words for them!!! Keep up the good work. Love the marking of dimensions in the photos - an engineer's touch?

Definitely this pen is not for a converter or cartridge. That would spoil the beauty of this pen. You should fill the pen with some brilliant colour ink, lay it near a window in the morning with sunlight shining through and do a photo shoot.

I have the 'conventional' Galactic. A week with that pen started me to look into fatter pens that improved my handwriting a bit. After getting this I got Faber Castell e-Motion that is equally fat. Now my slimmer pens are resting in the pen box.

for me the nib was a mixed affair. I had to work on it a lot to make it smooth. My Gama Raja's nib was far better and needed no work.

You can pull out the nib and feed without a knockout block. Just pull with a slight turn and use a rubber piece to grip it. I use a piece of chamois leather and it works.

Regards

Subramoniam

Brilliant review as your previous one. Photos - I have no words for them!!! Keep up the good work. Love the marking of dimensions in the photos - an engineer's touch?

Definitely this pen is not for a converter or cartridge. That would spoil the beauty of this pen. You should fill the pen with some brilliant colour ink, lay it near a window in the morning with sunlight shining through and do a photo shoot.

I have the 'conventional' Galactic. A week with that pen started me to look into fatter pens that improved my handwriting a bit. After getting this I got Faber Castell e-Motion that is equally fat. Now my slimmer pens are resting in the pen box.

for me the nib was a mixed affair. I had to work on it a lot to make it smooth. My Gama Raja's nib was far better and needed no work.

You can pull out the nib and feed without a knockout block. Just pull with a slight turn and use a rubber piece to grip it. I use a piece of chamois leather and it works.

Thanks very much Subbu..

I am lucky that my stock nib is really good..I have tried sometimes with the Gama Forever to pull out the nib without knockout block,but I failed.Then Mr.Subramaniam told me to use knock out block.I would definitely follow your suggestion about this pen if needed.

Sagar Bhowmick

I have tried sometimes with the Gama Forever to pull out the nib without knockout block,but I failed.Then Mr.Subramaniam told me to use knock out block.I would definitely follow your suggestion about this pen if needed.

May be for ebonite pens with ebonite feed you may need to use it - friction may be more than acrylic body. I had to use a small "hex head driver" (part of my mini screwdriver set) to push out the feed of my ASA I Can

Regards

Subramoniam

May be for ebonite pens with ebonite feed you may need to use it - friction may be more than acrylic body. I had to use a small "hex head driver" (part of my mini screwdriver set) to push out the feed of my ASA I Can

ok...

Sagar Bhowmick

The frosted demonstrator look really works for me. I don't know what it is, but it looks fantastic. Great review of a beautiful pen.

"Oh deer."

Great review of a fabulous looking pen. Good photography as well!

pbhat

Thanks very much...

Sagar Bhowmick

The frosted demonstrator look really works for me. I don't know what it is, but it looks fantastic. Great review of a beautiful pen.

Yes, it does..Thanks.

Sagar Bhowmick

Love your pictorial review + the engineering specs which has been already pointed out. Just curious about your line of work :)

Congrats on the pen !!

Thanks very much.. I am an artist, a professional painter.

Sagar Bhowmick