Equivalent To Mb Jfk?

ahtzib

Just by coincidence, I happened to notice the other day that Graf von Faber-Castell Midnight Blue looks very similar to JFK.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ahtzib

• ink-syringe

• Chrissy

• Erik Dalton

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just by coincidence, I happened to notice the other day that Graf von Faber-Castell Midnight Blue looks very similar to JFK.

Thanks -- that looks promising. Would you be able to post a side-by-side comparison of the two inks?

Thanks. Oddly an ink on my radar already but one i have not tried yet.

Here is another awesome fact about JFK: Holy cow does it clean out easy. I cleaned out a pen that had it in there for a bunch o' fills and it was the fastest I have cleaned out a pen in a long time. Really a huge fan of MB JFK Navy Blue all around. Just a great great ink.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

• 4 months later...

I'm finding htat parker's Blue black seems to match MB's JFK - which surprised me somewhat. I filled my MB146 and seem to be getting a similar colour to Parker's Blue black. I think I should try a wider nib, and see if there is a difference.

Ahtzib, De Atramentis Giuseppe Verdi and Ferdinand von Zeppelin are visually similar to JFK - it might be worth obtaining samples to see how they behave on paper.

Getting back to dubbings, you might want to try the original De A color name instead = Dark Blue (1036). The renamed inks like Verdi (1104) sometimes just come and go. Zeppelin doesn't seem to be in at the moment.

Steering away from De A (no avoidance implied), check out Diamine's Oxford Blue. Or do you all find it that different?

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Steering away from De A (no avoidance implied), check out Diamine's Oxford Blue. Or do you all find it that different?

Have Oxford blue and used it all summer and fall so far. Have it in quite a few pens and JFK in a few pens as always. These are vastly different inks. Not even in the same ball park. Oxford is a super dark ultra saturated blue with green with a heavy punch. A nice ink for extra fine nibs if you want something that is dark and jumps off the page and is not just black. JFK is a somewhat dusty almost vintagey blue blackesque navy blue.

Oops, okay, you win. But I said I wasn't at all sure. Main thing is that I have neither the one nor the other, and was apparently cheated after taking a peek at the smears on my screen.... So now it's time to repair that calamity and get both.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

I've never seen JFK irl, but I just today opened a sample of KWZ IG Blue #3, and it may not look like JFK, but it sure looks like the pictures perfaddict posted above. It might be just a bit darker.

Oops, okay, you win. But I said I wasn't at all sure. Main thing is that I have neither the one nor the other, and was apparently cheated after taking a peek at the smears on my screen.... So now it's time to repair that calamity and get both.

Mike

Hope you can find a sample of JFK and see for yourself how handsome it is. Oxford Blue is thankfully readily available. It isn't a personal favorite but I do enjoy it in a few of my finer nib pens. I like it and feel it is worth having. I usually flip a new ink if I don't like it a lot, especially blue (has to compete with Asa-Gao and Visconti Blue, Blue Velvet, etc) but Oxford made the cut and I have already used a pretty big bite of that 80ml bottle. Could be a good every day work ink when something dark and formal is required. Generally hate blues that tend green but this is so super dark and saturated that it is okay. Will it replace my hot burning love for Visconti Blue? no but it is a nice change of pace. JFK goes in my big stubs. It is gorgeous. I dread the day it is all gone.

• 3 months later...

A really close contender for a JFK replacement is Pilot iroshizuku shin-kai ("deep sea"). It's just slightly less saturated than JFK and a hint greyer, but is fairly close overall. (Certainly closer than anything else I've come across so far.) And Pilot's formula is smoother and flows better than MB (as expected).

Edited by ahtzib

Another candidate: De Atramentis Sherlock Holmes (also called "Night Blue" on the label, although I've never been able to find any regular DA of that color).

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 months later...

I have also thought of Diamine Midnight which is a very dark blue with not too much black in it. So is Diamine Regency Blue.

I have also thought that Diamine Midnight would be a great match. I'd love to see the two together for comparison.

Diamine Midnight is pretty close to JFK Navy. It's all blue no greens grays or reds to it.

I also thought Midnight might be an equivalent to JFK, so I tried a bottle last year. I found it to be somewhat bluer and a lot more saturated than JFK. Ultimately, the two inks were much too different to my eye to be equivalents. I prefer the JFK in wetter nibs that capture its nuance; the Midnight I ended up favoring in my F Pilot steel nibs (78G, Prera) because of its saturation, uniformity, and lubrication. (Those F Pilot "Super Quality" steel nibs are really narrow!)

Edited by ahtzib

I also though Midnight might be an equivalent to JFK, so I tried a bottle last year. I found it to be somewhat bluer and a lot more saturated than JFK. Ultimately, the two inks were much too different to my eye to be equivalents. I prefer the JFK in wetter nibs that capture its nuance; the Midnight I ended up favoring in my F Pilot steel nibs (78G, Prera) because of its saturation, uniformity, and lubrication. (Those F Pilot "Super Quality" steel nibs are really narrow!)

You are right about midnight being darker and more saturated. I use it in my fine and extra fine nibs, in those more of the blue comes out and it does not appear as dark. In a wet nib i think it is just too dark..

I love the JFK navy blue. It is so well behaved and the color is just right for me. Recently I've discovered the new Aurora Blue Black. Now I'm realllly happy. Between the two i have everything i could want in everyday blue inks.

I have 9 bottles of JFK. Once I filled my broad nib MB 146, I instantly knew it was a favorite and stocked up. I don't know if I'll ever get threw all the bottles, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Pulling my pen out at the office any chance I get and enjoying signing everything in site 😃✒️

Edited by 888007888

I have 9 bottles of JFK. Once I filled my broad nib MB 146, I instantly knew it was a favorite and stocked up. I don't know if I'll ever get threw all the bottles, but I'm going to give it my best shot. Pulling my pen out at the office any chance I get and enjoying singing everything in site ✒️

And I thought I was bad with 5 bottles ...lol...whatever other ink looks close to it, really doesn't matter.

There is more to it than color, it flows great, dries fast, and cleans up easily, It's just a really nice ink. I hope they keep it production.

I added some Diamine Denim to my Safari Petrol order from GPC a couple days ago because I thought that Denim might just be the JFK replacement I was looking for. I was pleased to receive the order in record time since this thread was coincidentally revived in the meantime, but no luck with the ink in terms of matching JFK. I actually like Denim but it's definitely not a match for JFK. Denim is slightly more saturated, and contains more black in the formula--it really is a blue-black (maybe even a "black-blue" in finer nibs). Compared side by side, JFK has an almost purple hue (tough to capture in a picture, unfortunately) and it shades more.

For what it's worth, I did write a quick note to MB via their Web site requesting that they keep JFK in production. (That would certainly be the easiest solution to the problem!) I'm pretty sure I know what the response will be, but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway. (If they didn't revive British Racing Green, I can't imagine that they'd keep JFK in the lineup. But maybe no one asked about BRG!)

I added some Diamine Denim to my Safari Petrol order from GPC a couple days ago because I thought that Denim might just be the JFK replacement I was looking for. I was pleased to receive the order in record time since this thread was coincidentally revived in the meantime, but no luck with the ink in terms of matching JFK. I actually like Denim but it's definitely not a match for JFK. Denim is slightly more saturated, and contains more black in the formula--it really is a blue-black (maybe even a "black-blue" in finer nibs). Compared side by side, JFK has an almost purple hue (tough to capture in a picture, unfortunately) and it shades more.

For what it's worth, I did write a quick note to MB via their Web site requesting that they keep JFK in production. (That would certainly be the easiest solution to the problem!) I'm pretty sure I know what the response will be, but thought I'd go ahead and ask anyway. (If they didn't revive British Racing Green, I can't imagine that they'd keep JFK in the lineup. But maybe no one asked about BRG!)

JFK is readily available right now so just buy several bottles & don't waste other ink trying to mix it.