Do-It-Yourself Lacquer Work - Best Options For Faux Urushi?

spaceink

All the credits goes to Fountainpagan

That is highly kind of you Velvet. Please allow me to disagree:

You had the idea, you made de trials, erased the errors, etc, etc.

Take credit for your work, you deserve it.

It is a beautiful pen you made there. I am certain your next one will be even more stunning.

Kudos to you.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spaceink

• L.Velvet

• dompred

• ABinBoston

http://urushiya.ocnk.net/product-list/42

I found this Online store while digging into Iro-Urushi (the process of making one it involves pigments like cinnabar and clear urushi) take note the JP stuff is very very expensive the chinese not so much, its affordable I guess if you can get them to ship outside Japan it could be worth looking into

I havent found a source of vietnamese Urushi which is reportedly to be "safer" because its not from the same tree as the Urushi Tree that the stuff is known for

if you can try use the chinese stuff first but as far as I started to dig into the urushi business its said the Japanese top coat polishes better than the chinese counterpart

Edited by Algester

That is highly kind of you Velvet. Please allow me to disagree:

You had the idea, you made de trials, erased the errors, etc, etc.

Take credit for your work, you deserve it.

It is a beautiful pen you made there. I am certain your next one will be even more stunning.

Kudos to you.

Seriously, without your advices, my fountain pen would look plasticky. By the way, I am working on Prototype II, at this time I used a bordeaux colored underlayer with purple tones. It will be more a darker red at this time. :) Only downside I dammaged the nib :doh: ( not a big loss though ) hopefully the feeder is ok

http://urushiya.ocnk.net/product-list/42

I found this Online store while digging into Iro-Urushi (the process of making one it involves pigments like cinnabar and clear urushi) take note the JP stuff is very very expensive the chinese not so much, its affordable I guess if you can get them to ship outside Japan it could be worth looking into

I havent found a source of vietnamese Urushi which is reportedly to be "safer" because its not from the same tree as the Urushi Tree that the stuff is known for

if you can try use the chinese stuff first but as far as I started to dig into the urushi business its said the Japanese top coat polishes better than the chinese counterpart

Mmmh. Interesting but for the lacquer work I am only using local products ( of Paris :happyberet: ) I am more interested in outsourcing some japanese nibs.

By the way, I am working on Prototype II, at this time I used a bordeaux colored underlayer with purple tones. It will be more a darker red at this time. :) Only downside I dammaged the nib :doh: ( not a big loss though ) hopefully the feeder is ok

Mmmh. Interesting but for the lacquer work I am only using local products ( of Paris :happyberet: ) I am more interested in outsourcing some japanese nibs.

I am eager to see that bordeaux. :)

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Beautiful work, thank you for detailing the process. I'm going to read the link you suggested right now.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Update on the nail polish painting technique.

A member on the fountain pens subreddit on Reddit used three layers of nail polish to paint a stainless steel Jinhao X750. The result is a very stunning finish and it's reported to be quite hard after it has dried properly.

Here is the post https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/3odwcm/my_painted_jinhao_done_with_nail_polish/

That nail polish pen looks pretty good. I don't see any sanding mentioned. Looks like he was good at applying a pretty even cost.

• 4 years later...

Hi guys, :)

Everything about the "ingredients" you will find on this topic https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294105-lacquer-for-ebonite/ ( see fountainpagan reply )

I wish I had more time to explain in details, but promise I will make a detailled topic one day , now I just came back from work.

1. Sand the ebonite fountain pen roughly, until you have a mate finish and a very tactile feel.

2. Spray an acrylic underlayer color ( I used a pink, to obtain a dark red ) paint until it's uniforme, very thin layers. Let it rest 24h.

3. Crush the alizarine pigments with a water stone ( or with a spoon )

4. Mix alizarine pigments with the water based lacquer.

5. filter the pigmented lacquer.

6. Apply a very, very thin layer of the pigmented lacquer with a brush . Let it rest 24h.

8. Sand the fountain pen with micromesh.

7.Repeat everything from step 3, at least three time.

8. Final step apply a very thin layer of the clear lacquer ( so without pigments ). Let it rest 48h.

9. Sand it with micromesh very smoothly.

10. Post a photo here :D .

All the credits goes to Fountainpagan

BEWARE :If you want to paint the threads use only the spray with the accrylic painting very carefully, don't apply the lacquer ( I did this mistake and I can't close my fp anymore ) or if you do, with a tooth brush very smoothly. Before doing this for real make a test with a very cheap fountain pen.

If you do this right, you'll get a very smooth and shiny fountain pen with a deep color & rich color. The color will vary a lot according to the lighting

http://i.imgur.com/qckGFWf.jpg

Sorry for dragging up a very old post, but stunning work! and if you are still looking at this - do you think this will work for Acrylic also.Basically I wanted to order a second Kaco master since I like the first so much, but they have only the only color - black....SO I was thinking maybe I could try this on the second pen

Edited by TheVintagelife

Hello TheVintagelife,

I have experimented, with this, faux urushi.

All I can say that it doesn't worth it, the time spent, the mess, the cost, ( yeah I lost money ) the coating

around the threads doesn't hold. And there's the problem with generic indian eyedroppers : ink blurp, no good quality

nib available other than the german ones. ( Although ambitious nibs are great if you like broad & medium line )

If you like the red like me, ( the solution wasn't available back then ) but indian pen makers ( Ranga, Fosfor pen)

have red ebonite, you can order this kind of pen with red ebonite, and you'll have 95 percent of this finish

with much more durability.

This project was to make an alternative version of namiki yukari royale.
I ordered mine from fosforpen with a piston filler, and will have a platinum 3776 nib on it.

Good luck with your project.

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000585323538.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.fb96536dT1MmEI&algo_pvid=76a53050-37de-42be-8a33-e4c3dc1e2087&algo_expid=76a53050-37de-42be-8a33-e4c3dc1e2087-1&btsid=0b0a01f815842922538328596e0849&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_PS : You can buy from this link Kaco master in red