Sailor – Hachimitsu (Honey)

jasonchickerson

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0618.jpg

First, I'd like to curse thank fireant for sending me a sample of this wonderful ink. Alas, it is discontinued or I'd buy a bottle today. It likely wouldn't spend much time in my pen, but I'd put it to good use sketching and it is wonderful straight out of the bottle for pointed pen calligraphy.

Here's an overworked persimmon.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0612.jpg

Sailor Hachimitsu and Cigar on Strathmore watercolor paper.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0609.jpg

Hachimitsu with Zebra "G" nib on Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton paper.

Reasonable care was taken to ensure color accuracy, but with an ink this complex and fluorescent, perfection is impossible.

If anyone has an unwanted bottle of this ink, I will gladly buy it from you.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• lgsoltek

• fireant

• migo984

Hopefully when Sailor resolves its bottle issue they will bring back the Onago-iro inks.

I love this one. Some say it's a close replacement for the long lost Sailor Apricot. And your persimmon is so gorgeous! Even more tempting than the real ones on my table. :D

Thanks. I really hope they do come back. I'm out of the loop here, having not been very active on this forum lately. Link me to the thread about the bottle issue?

Here's an overworked persimmon.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0612.jpg

Sailor Hachimitsu and Cigar on Strathmore watercolor paper.

http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac209/jasonchickerson/_FUJ0609.jpg

Hachimitsu with Zebra "G" nib on Original Crown Mill Pure Cotton paper.

Reasonable care was taken to ensure color accuracy, but with an ink this complex and fluorescent, perfection is impossible.

If anyone has an unwanted bottle of this ink, I will gladly buy it from you.

Oh man gorgeous review!! I love the persimmon drawing.

Just curious, did you notice the silver sheen on any of your papers?

Thanks. I really hope they do come back. I'm out of the loop here, having not been very active on this forum lately. Link me to the thread about the bottle issue?

It's that huge Sailor thread. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/272272-sailors-full-ink-lines-including-shop-exclusives-compiled-in-a-post/page-44

I think the bottle issue is discussed starting from #870.

Gorgeous review of another stunning Sailor ink. I don't have Hachimitsu but I do have Apricot. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the two.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Gorgeous review of another stunning Sailor ink. I don't have Hachimitsu but I do have Apricot. I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison of the two.

I can do a chromatography, wash and short writing sample of the two if you send me a tiny sample. PM me if you're interested. I have a tiny amount of Hachimitsu left.

Thanks. I'm really kind of desperate to get my hands on a full bottle now. I knew I would be when I first saw Lg's awesome review months ago.

I did not notice any sheen at all. Usually the OCM Pure Cotton sheens like crazy and it was totally sheenless. I did not try it on onionskin or Tomoe River. I do recall someone getting a nice silver sheen. I usually see it in the wash where the pigment/dye accumulates heaviest. I didn't see anything like that.

This ink reminds me of all the ladies I wanted but couldn't have. :crybaby:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

• 2 weeks later...

Just checked my ink journal entry from April and there's a prominent sheen. The paper is Maruman. The pen was a wet vintage Waterman.

Looking again at the dipped sample I do see some silver sheen. It is not very prominent and I'd call it more of a "sparkle" than a sheen. Before drying, the ink has a kind of all-over shimmer. Also, I'm in love.

I tried it on Tomoe River and some weird, old paper I have called Fox River, both of which usually bring out the sheen, but neither did.

Exquisite review. Thank you.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice review! I wish I could write flexily that beautifully!

Thanks, that happened to be a good day for Copperplate. They don't all go so well, as you can see elsewhere in my posts. :unsure: