Comparison: Montblanc Legrand Vs Inoxcrom Caravel

rizo

Montblanc Legrand VS Inoxcrom Caravel

This is a traslation that I did (sorry for my english) from the original post of a friend called Manuleon in a different forum.

I have his authorization to put this translation here.

I'm going to put in shirts of eleven staff, and staff make this comparison between two of my pens of similar performance, and remarkable similarities.
It is well known that I am a fan of Inoxcrom, and until recently quite insidious with MB. And I still have fondness for the Spanish brand. But as I promised, I will try to be honest and fair everything that can be being individual. But as the individual it is to be just different from the rest, this is my comparison, with all that that implies ... As I am a lousy photographer, I will help Internet Where detail is required, not wire mess with my snapshots perfidious as could be ...
Straight to the point...

My Le Grand can be dated very well over time, thanks to long clip and nib bicolor mainly can say that was manufactured in 1991 But 146 history is much longer, more interesting still consult, among others, the following thread: is especially pleasant and summarized.
As for the Inoxcrom, like almost all parts of the Spanish brand, it is shrouded in mystery. The house have a collection of its parts, or gain information for their production historiar never worried, which we find the questions that should not be such as: What exactly does the registration of your jib 1920? When did your manufacturing? How long it was in production? Is it true the dispute between MB and Inoxcrom by the obvious resemblance, or part of the legend? From what I gather from what is on the Web, the Caravel I was very little time in production, and it was during the early years of the early 90s of last century. His erratic policy regarding marketing, the existence in the overseas market of countless brands and models, ... made the perfect cocktail for progressive collapse and eventually disappeared Inoxcrom.

If we trust the cold facts, we see that the length of the Mont Blanc is 142 mm closed, with a weight of 25.3 grams. Today the term has lost 146, simply calling Le Grand.
As for the Caravel I, its appearance is very similar to the German model, with a somewhat lighter somewhat greater length (145 mm) (can not specify figures, but it is known that it is lighter) and I guess if MB had litigated by the copy he had done with Platinum, Sailor and other brands.
http://s15.postimg.org/q2gadml8r/image.jpg

Upstairs, the Caravel, a few millimeters longer than the Le Grand, which loses its name to shorten its length, allowing to measure precisely 146 mm that gave name. As you can see, the shape of the Inoxcrom is clearly inspired by the MB, differing only in the absence of the snowy summit, and it only has two rings on the cap.
http://s15.postimg.org/xc6ga2p6z/image.jpg

Topless, new differences are evident; as the nib, more beautiful without doubt the German (one of the most beautiful and worked nibs that can be found in the world of the pen) which is also golden, and simpler and steel in Spanish, with characteristic caravel;the window to check the ink level in the MB; and two golden rings topping the section Inoxcrom that the MB is entirely black ...

http://s29.postimg.org/wgnzq7mw7/image.jpg
Here they are best appreciated nibs. The Inoxcrom, far from MB appears undeniable beauty, like his rather vulgar side ... Another thing will be time to get to work ... but that touches later ... The section, however, is ergonomic my hand on Inoxcrom.
http://s4.postimg.org/tznhw2np9/image.jpg

Caps ... Left prestige: the purpose and the reason for buying and wasted many hands at all are friends of the fountain. The famous snow-capped peak. It is not the best, or the best quality / price. But if you want to be recognized, there is the symbol. That cap costs more than 500 Euros. On the right, Spanish copy ¿? The quality of the material, as we shall see, is higher, but nobody will pay Euro "per se" ...
The clip, which in the Mont Blanc massif is of metal, made by casting; in Inoxcrom is simpler and lower quality of stamped sheet metal. Both gold plating, like the rings of the mouth ... In the Mont Blanc, also bears the inscription W. Germany, and laser numbered.

http://s29.postimg.org/emshox3tz/image.jpg

Nudes all show the main difference in performance: the classic piston MB and practicality converter Inxocrom ... My Caravel carried by circumstances not relevant here, a Delta converter that will go down pat. Ink capacity is much greater in German, and thus their range increases in proportion. By contrast, cleaning Computer breakdown and become as against him. Back To its credit, the romantic aura of the plunger against the snobbery of the converter ... Anyway, I can not choose in this regard to either side ...
It is observed in the Caravel, which is manufactured to the battlefield: the metallic thread, along with more long section to the converter makes it very robust. In addition, metal-fiber thread is stronger than the metal-metal or fiber-fiber. For the sake barrel threads are staggered so that two weaknesses do not coincide at the same point. This makes it particularly tough ... Caravel

http://s13.postimg.org/vjtsedmnb/image.jpg

And here, finally, the two tests work, with which I present a poem of the past of my own, which serves me to pay tribute to a friend who spent years fighting the disease (I know that's going to make, and you will see this thread ... http://www.relojes-especiales.com/foros/images/smilies/winky.gif )
From the title to the fourth verse is the Caravel I work with Waterman Florida Blue. And then, with the same ink work Le Grand (a very common prostitute not chosen expressly for the test).
Both are a cream writers. Typewriters at its best. However, the MB does not go as smooth as I. And Caravel personal impression is not the result of my prejudices. It is that the jib Inoxcrom (and has happened with the Sirocco and the Corinthian who share the steel, I mean) is an achievement. It goes smooth tannn, and writes so fine, that gives glory to be hours on the paper ...
However, I expected more of the nib of MB. It is, I think, more, or more beautiful than I know. And when I write with this pen, I catch myself sometimes stopping with the jib up, staring. It is so beautiful ... And of course, when typing, and more in this comparison, after leaving Inoxcrom and quickly take the MB, the difference is noticeable. As a friend, dive buddy, referring to regulators ... Add to Le Grand is like cutting butter with a knife he says. But I write with Caravel is like cutting butter with a knife previously heated ...
And now I'm going to the quality of materials ... And they are 550 Euros, versus 75 (Note of the translator, today a Inoxcrom Caravel NOS is not less that 120 euros) or so ... And it turns out winning the Spanish. Because we remove the gold nib, clip and solid ... And the precious resin MB, it becomes the Caravel in good plastic. But look where the precious resin is sensitive to scratches, one day you forget the cover, and polish. Instead, Inxocrom is, in that sense, much more resistant. Touch is very similar. More "gummy" in German, and more comfortable in Spanish ... But the difference is so slight, that I could not distinguish in blind tasting with a 100% safety.
I give more longevity, of course, the Inoxcrom. On the material and charging system ... But the MB takes many years showing that it is ... The Inoxcrom have to prove it. However, I know several cases of MBs of 90 who have gone through the workshop. Caravel I have not found any. However, my case makes no statistics, and perhaps the price of a Caravel do think replacement rather than repair.
And in conclusion, I must say that is valued in excess Mont Blanc. It is indisputable. There are pens of your price range that surpass in quality and in writing. At the other extreme, it is little valued the Caravel I. Offering much. So much so that with gold nib Spanish house (I have one in my Sirocco mounted Nobile and is magnificent) compete as equals with Germany for less than half price. And even as it comes is not wrong in the test (is better in writing) But we Spaniards, we owe our fame ... Every time I read things here on Caravel, I would hate to think that with us Japanese mentality: Sailor, Platinum, Pilot ... are references and models if Inoxcrom copy, copy. We would dawn ...
Best regards, and I apologize if I failed to be sufficiently rigorous and impartial. But I do not have the time too long, and the thread is open to fulfill the promise to a friend. The gaps can be filled by colleagues, which is appreciated ...

Edited by rizo

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rizo

• Jorge

• TassoBarbasso

• Mr.Rene

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the interesting review.

While both pens perform well, the 146 nib seems to have more character than the other; a little more line variation and shading.

The Caravel seems very consistent.

I agree there are pens that perform well, without the attached premium that comes with Montblanc, but they have a heritage and pedigree that few others can claim.

Thank you,

Inked

Wow, this looks dangerously close to plagiarism. Probably the most MontBlanc-ish of all the MontBlanc inspired pens :)

Wow, this looks dangerously close to plagiarism. Probably the most MontBlanc-ish of all the MontBlanc inspired pens :)

This is a Sailor 1911

http://www.engeika.com/data/engeika/product/20130917_8b6dbf.jpg

This Sailor (and others) are as guilty as the Caravel. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/13217-sailor-and-montblanc-the-same-one/

There is a legion of fountain pen very similar to the Montblanc, The Caravel is just one of this and probably one of the best at his time.

attachicon.gifIMAG0448.jpg

My Caravel has even got the three rings, which make it even more MB-ish! ;)

The very first of the Caravel had three rings, today this type is the most difficult to find, the most ussual is two rings.

There is a smaller version called Caravel II also, but it is a different fountain pen.

The very first of the Caravel had three rings, today this type is the most difficult to find, the most ussual is two rings.

There is a smaller version called Caravel II also, but it is a different fountain pen.

Right, Rizo.

Probably, Inoxcrom decided to take out one of the three cap rings in order to calm down MB a little bit on their law-suits for plagiarism.

The Caravel II is smaller, similar in size to the MB 144, and I have not seen any with the three cap rings.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, Rizo.

Probably, Inoxcrom decided to take out one of the three cap rings in order to calm down MB a little bit on their law-suits for plagiarism.

The Caravel II is smaller, similar in size to the MB 144, and I have not seen any with the three cap rings.

There is not Caravel II with three rings, for sure.

Of course Inoxcrom is at least as good as Montblanc. My $700 AYA 12 bore is as good as a Westley Richards shotgun costing three times what I paid for my car.

Spain makes copies of things that look similar to the original. But one need only swing my clunker shotgun or change the ink in this Inoxcrom to know that only rubes believe them equivalent to the originals.

• 1 month later...

Of course Inoxcrom is at least as good as Montblanc. My $700 AYA 12 bore is as good as a Westley Richards shotgun costing three times what I paid for my car.

Spain makes copies of things that look similar to the original. But one need only swing my clunker shotgun or change the ink in this Inoxcrom to know that only rubes believe them equivalent to the originals.

Do you have a Inoxcrom Caravelle? If not, respect the opinion of a owner that have both, the Caravelle and the Legrand.

• 8 months later...

Right now there are in Ebay a Caravel (Fountain pen+ ball pen) for 278,44 $ not so bad

It sounds like the rarer old Inoxcroms are actually appreciating!

ron

It sounds like the rarer old Inoxcroms are actually appreciating!

ron

Yes they are. Inoxcrom was famous for made good pens with good prizes. The most ussuals fountain pen were cheap or medium class, the few high class are getting apreaciation betwen the spanish fountainpen addict and betwen the foreign people that know this pen. I was following the prizes in ebay and every year the prizes are higher.

I recommend you that look for Caravel I (There are the II also, cheaper) Sirocco (I love this pen)https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/294992-inoxcrom-sirocco-guilloche-nobile-litle-review/ Corinthians https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/298787-the-inoxcrom-corinthian/

Edited by rizo

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...

I enjoy my Inoxcroms a great deal. They all shade ink wonderfully. I have a slim 77, a Wall Street, a Poeme, an ID, and a pair of Sakyos. I have a soft spot for the 77, the slim profile, nib shape, and shading hit the spot for me. I would snap up other models in a heartbeat if I saw them.