What Your Pens Have Taught You

Uncial

- A pocket pen costing 55 € with a nib abused tuned by luck expertise can be a better writer than a 300 € pen with a factory ground nib.

- Some pens are not worth bringing home, even if free.

- Lack of PayPal account saves metric load of money. Like this one Pelikan 140 / 400 (can't remember which) with a BB-nib I was going to buy for ~100 €.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bklyn

• Cryptos

• Mastiff

• Rach31

Top Posters In This Topic

1/ Carry your FP in a pen case, or something. Unrestrained they have the ability to unscrew themselves wherever and when ever they like.

2/ FPs are great - but like any tool, it is not suitable for every job. I write letters and post cards, and sometimes a Parker jotter is better on certain types of card or document.

3/ Yes, it is possible to have too many blue inks.

4/ Gold isn't naturally better than steel. There are wonderful steel nibs out there - it depends upon the manufacturer.

5/ A crappy pen is a crappy pen. If it's no good - move on - unless tinkering is your bag.

To add to #1 - put your business card in a case, just in case something happens.

And as a follow up to #4, sometimes you want a steel nib, learn what you like and don't like.

Others I have learned:

Invest in basic tuning tools and the time to learn the basics - in person or on YouTube.

Invest in inexpensive pens to learn on.

A tuned nib is much better than giving up on a factory nib.

The money you pay to a quality nibmeister is worth every penny for the enjoyment you will get.

The first brand you use will always have a place in your heart. The first "real" pen will be one you treasure and compare all others to.For me, in order, those are Rotring and Aurora, respectively. Rotring taught me how to draw with a nail, and the Aurora Talentum taught me the joy of a gold nib, with a little feedback, and a little bounce - just enough to get line variation or character.

Lastly, don't judge a pen by its price. The nib can be altered, the ink changed out, the paper easily changed. Learn what you like: long, short, heavy, light, barrel and grip diameters, posted or not, etc.

It has only been a few decades, but I have finally narrowed my search to pens that meet my preferred characteristics, or are so unique or special that I want to add them to my collection.

That the right combination of pen and ink can be amazing, and not to give up on a pen (or ink) on the first try.

That I can resurrect skills and talents that were buried. That I can learn new ones.

That there's tranquility in simple tasks such as flushing ink out of a pen.

That it's okay to be quirky and a bit different from the "norm". That expanding your horizons is good.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Lovely sentiments. So true for me as well.

I've learned - to my great surprise - that there's life after black ink.

And that when you buy on eBay you're buying a pig in a poke, but you can sometimes find a helluva pig.

That old pens have personalities - and sometimes personality disorders.

That it isn't always you...that's what nibmeisters are for.

That your heart will be broken.

And lifted.

• 1 month later...

Writing with fountain pens has taught/challenged me to slow down and, with luck, eventually change my grip to what I hope will be a more comfortable standard tripod grip! They've also challenged me to either make my everyday handwriting more consistent and challenged me to get artsy with handwriting (those who are familiar with softer nibs, flex nibs, and Goulet Pens' Monday Matchups will know what I mean).

I don't have a lot of specific comments about different companies since I haven't tried brands like Pelikan, Sailor, Visconti, Montblanc, etc., but here are mine thus far:

Platinum: Just because a pen looks and feels like the equivalent of a BIC Cristal ballpoint doesn't mean it can't deliver as well as a pen that costs ten, twenty or fifty times its price. Also that for color junkies like me, that colored nibs are a thing!

Pilot: That you don't need to spend a whole lot to get your hands on an italic nib ;) Also that for those of us who grew up exclusively with pencils and ballpoints and are reeling at how broad and wet the average fountain pen tends to write in comparison, that truly fine EF nibs exist in the FP world!

Edited by missphoenix

Amy C.

My FP/Calligraphy blog: inkynibby

As of January 2016, still searching for the elusive light, slim EDC!

Writing with fountain pens has taught/challenged me to slow down and, with luck, eventually change my grip to what I hope will be a more comfortable standard tripod grip! They've also challenged me to either make my everyday handwriting more consistent and challenged me to get artsy with handwriting (those who are familiar with softer nibs, flex nibs, and Goulet Pens' Monday Matchups will know what I mean).

I don't have a lot of specific comments about different companies since I haven't tried brands like Pelikan, Sailor, Visconti, Montblanc, etc., but here are mine thus far:

Platinum: Just because a pen looks and feels like the equivalent of a BIC Cristal ballpoint doesn't mean it can't deliver as well as a pen that costs ten, twenty or fifty times its price. Also that for color junkies like me, that colored nibs are a thing!

Pilot: That you don't need to spend a whole lot to get your hands on an italic nib ;) Also that for those of us who grew up exclusively with pencils and ballpoints and are reeling at how broad and wet the average fountain pen tends to write in comparison, that truly fine EF nibs exist in the FP world!

I LOVE the Preppy's colored nibs. Just be careful; some ink can strip the color coating off in nothing flat.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Mainly three things:

1) One pen is enough if it's the right one.

2) If you find the right one, pay the price (in the end, it will cost less that keep looking, and is likely to last a life time)

3) Buying pens can be addicitive, in the sens a drug is.

Edit to add a fourth point:

If you have the one pen, pay what you need to get a decent protection for it.

Edited by Namo

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I have learned a great number of things from fountain pens...

1. That the act of writing with a good pen can be a very calming and reflective experience

2. Nothing sours the first faster than bad paper, bad nibs, or bad ink

3. That the infinite colours of the rainbow can be had in all the inks available, but that it is important to be realistic about what you will actually use

4. Hype from others does not always translate into satisfaction and people have very different tastes from yours

*These next couple are extremely important*

5. Forgetting or ignoring other financial responsibilities you have in favor of more pens is a dangerous slippery slope. Do not let pens become the 1 priority in your life or bad things happen.

6. I have been trying for an extremely long time to find a pen that writes even close to as good as my Lamy 2000 medium or is as reliable. 1000 dollar pens can still be overhyped junk and in my experience I find pens costing more than about 250 to be a disappointment every time. I think this realization has been one of the most important things I have discovered about this hobby. I encourage others to consider it as well sometimes.

7. That I find great joy in a glassy smooth Japanese fine. I am continually blown away that I like to pick up my Sailors and Pilots like the metropolitan before others in my collection that were suposed to be a dream and cost hundreds or even in the thousand(s) range (even after nibmeister work).

8. Decide early on if you are a collector or a user. I find I am happier with less pens because I am a user and I enjoy trying to use each one rather than forcing myself to use bad pens in a 100+ collection. I have cut myself down to about 20 and couldnt be happier. Again like inks, be realistic about what you actually use

9. Don't let others tell you what you should buy. Do your research, try to find out from various sources of videos and written reviews what you can expect, and go from there. Even better, go to a store if you can and try them! But bring your own paper that glass paper they have in the store will fool you every time.

10. Enjoy what you have. There are always more pens to tempt you but be happier with what you own already. There is excitement in the chase but real enjoyment comes from sitting down, picking up one of your favorites, and writing. There are a lot of people in this world who find enjoyment in a lot less

Great thread guys, let's keep it coming

Edited by Owner of a Lonely Heart

Fountain pens have taught me that some things are likely not unlike the likeliness that they are unlikely to be likened to.

Fountain pens have taught me that some things are likely not unlike the likeliness that they are unlikely to be likened to.

Like it.....or NOT!!

A "likely" story, indeed!!;)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I have learned that instead of buying a bunch of Chinese pens I should have put all that money into one Pelikan. (But now I have MORE than one Pelikan)

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

This thread is great.

I have learned that great advice can be had from people you don't know on the Internet.

Pelikans can be bought for a great price. (I have a nice OM M200 that I bought for $50, user grade but I am a user of pens, not a collector.)

Pelikans come in flocks, beware.

Always carry a loaner BP or pen w/a sturdy nib on hand for people who reach to use your pen. (I say this after someone made my Pilot Custom 743 FA nib scream and bleed ink when they pushed it at a weird angle.)

Learning never ends when knowledge flows freely.

Personally, I treat my fountain pens the way I treat my toothbrush....

I NEVER let anyone else use it!!

If I'm using one of my pens, and someone comments on it (ie., "Hey, can I try it????") I just refer them to where I got it, explaining that each pen is

unique - crafted to "fit' the (first) user's writing style.....and letting someone else use it MAY mess it up....!

OK, a bit over the top, perhaps.....but it saves having someone damage a pen that may result in costly repair....

Totally agree with Rach31 re: "Pelikans come in flocks......"! THREE are "winging" their way to me right now - should be here by week's end!:)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

I've learned that people fascinated by fountain pens have the most intriguing backgrounds, occupations, and histories. They're always eccentric, often iconoclastic, and universally passionate about subtle, arcane, Byzantine -- but significant -- details that most people miss. They're driven by the simple joy and freedom of applying an ink of their choice, with a pen of their choice, to a paper of their choice. I've learned that talking about pens invariably leads to talking about history, engineering, art, and business. It teaches us obscure facts about chemistry and communication, and builds relationships across cultures. Imagine the conversations we'll have, when we're able to extend these discussions beyond the members of the pen community who write in English!

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Great thread!

What have fountain pens taught me?

. . . that I am a perfectionist . . . artist . . . romantic . . . expressive

. . . that I love my Lamy Safari

. . . that Americans can produce a beautiful pen that is an exquisite writer, that equals and even exceeds the European pens I have tried

. . . that my very favorite fountain pen ever is my Franklin Christoph Panther 40 prototype (someday I will review)

. . . that once I have found "the" pen, I really don't want any other (I wonder if that will happen when I find the "ink"?)

. . . that I have very different tastes when it comes to good ink (I do not care for Noodler's inks while 90% of the rest of FPNers love them)

. . . that color in my writing is essential to my mental well-being each day

. . . that having a lovely instrument to write with filled with a stunning color and my favorite journal at hand make my daily quiet times with the Lord just that much more pleasant

Yes, they have taught me much!

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

I've learned that I can spend too much money on stupid things like pens, especially since I normally cherish simplicity.

I've also learned that writing with a pen made out of sterling silver and a gold springy nib is simply exquisite and no writing experience can compared to that...

What my pens thought me

Faber-Castell has good pens, that has some design oversights but good performance none the less

Lamy... the nibs can be a hit or miss but regardless the nibs even then can be easily be changed, and as a brand it's good for the general budget fan-base

Sailor A lot of good looking pens stuck in Japan... inks more so, the nibs are a YMMV

Pilot you can get descent looking pens without the bank busting prices

Parker it's not hard to get into the brand but their nib selection has much less to be desired

Pelikan... not sure if it's a brand for a lefty people still say how wet their nibs are so yes...

MB... bash it as I may I never really gravitate towards liking their pens... the general shoe shape ink bottle is sexy... inks are much less to be desired for a fast writing lefty

Platinum if only they didnt have soo much cigar shaped pens without getting to Nakaya prices (never liked round tips)

TWSBI if only they could pursue the Micarta perfection (admittedly dealing with composite materials are a pain) the TWSBI bottle is sexy, in need of a better working material, brittle plastic isnt the best pen material to use

general what pens thought me

your penmanship will still be atrocious without practice (a fountain pen will never be a magical device that can instantly make your penmanship look good)

grammar can be irrepairable at a certain point in life (especially if your dealing with multiple languages with different syntaxes)

the search for a lefty friendly setup will cost a lot of money (from those atrocious spiral notebooks to slow drying inks, and wet palm ink smudges)

Edited by Algester

My pens have taught me I have an addictive personality, and atrocious penmanship.

Not a great combo when it comes to fountain pens.

John L

On the whole: patience.

Like Life in general! :-).

What have I learned from mine? To keep them where I can see and easily reach them. That way, I don't forget that I even own them and go months without using them.

That writing can actually be a pleasure instead of a chore :-).

Specific pens? I'm not sure what to say. I like flexy nibs, and 2 of those (both vintage to truly antique) are. The rest of them are my "go to" pens for everyday writing and even drawing, but flexy nibs make writing fun!

"In the end, only kindness matters."