FPN Board software upgrade, part deux

Admin

Here's the link https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=288717. And they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

http://margana.com/fpn_images/image_error01.jpg

If I click the attached image link, fountainpennetwork.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&it=8413 comes up. If I log in the page is displayed correctly. I've tried this in both IE 6.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.3 on different systems. It only happens when there is an attachment icon next to the topic title in the Forum Topics page.

Does that help?

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Viseguy

• Margana

• Larry T

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Howdy,

Hey, I am very much enjoying this forum. Before the software changeover, one of my favorite things to do was to look up a profile, and scan through the posts, (and for sure read the intro post if one existed).

It doesn't look like that is a possiblity anymore. Am I missing something?

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

Yep :D

Pop your pointer on the person's name - there's a little drop down arrown there that will give you these options:

• View Member Profile
  • Add as Friend
  • Send Message
  • Find Member's Topics
  • Find Member's Posts

Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Hi Margana,

Here's the link https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=288717. And they say a picture is worth a thousand words...

If I click the attached image link, fountainpennetwork.com/index.php?act=attach&type=post&it=8413 comes up. If I log in the page is displayed correctly. I've tried this in both IE 6.0 and Firefox 2.0.0.3 on different systems. It only happens when there is an attachment icon next to the topic title in the Forum Topics page.

Does that help?

Yes! This is perfect! Thanks!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Yep :D

Pop your pointer on the person's name - there's a little drop down arrown there that will give you these options:

• View Member Profile
  • Add as Friend
  • Send Message
  • Find Member's Topics
  • Find Member's Posts
Cheers,

Ruaidhrí

Thank you for answering this, Ruaidhrí!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Ruaidhrí,

Thank you, Sir!

Dave M

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

Benjamin Franklin

US author, diplomat, inventor, physicist, politician, & printer (1706 - 1790)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about the options available on My Assistant.

On the old version of FPN I could choose to see posts that were new and I could choose the time frame I wanted (i.e. last 24 hours, 2 days, 7 days, etc). That no longer seems to be an option.

I was away for a week and while I managed to 'check in' quickly a couple of times I was hoping to be able to go through all that happened while I was away.

I've tried using the Search function as I can choose '7 days or newer' there - but it won't Search without my putting words to search for. Since I didn't have a specific topic I was searching on and wanted to see everything this didn't really work for me.

Is there any way to reinstate this feature on My Assistant?

This is the only glitch (and it may only be a glitch for me) I've found in the upgrade - it's fantastic!

Casmi

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Hi casmi,

I have a question about the options available on My Assistant.

On the old version of FPN I could choose to see posts that were new and I could choose the time frame I wanted (i.e. last 24 hours, 2 days, 7 days, etc). That no longer seems to be an option.

I was away for a week and while I managed to 'check in' quickly a couple of times I was hoping to be able to go through all that happened while I was away.

I've tried using the Search function as I can choose '7 days or newer' there - but it won't Search without my putting words to search for. Since I didn't have a specific topic I was searching on and wanted to see everything this didn't really work for me.

Is there any way to reinstate this feature on My Assistant?

This is the only glitch (and it may only be a glitch for me) I've found in the upgrade - it's fantastic!

Casmi

There is no longer a need to do this. The board now remembers all messages you haven't read yet, as in, they will be flagged unread till you have read them or use the option to mark them all as read. The previous version marked them read even when refreshing at times, and certainly when logging out, or closing the FPN browser window. That is no longer the case.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

There is no longer a need to do this. The board now remembers all messages you haven't read yet, as in, they will be flagged unread till you have read them or use the option to mark them all as read. The previous version marked them read even when refreshing at times, and certainly when logging out, or closing the FPN browser window. That is no longer the case.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Ah! Thank you!

"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Cunning plans are here again'"

Twitter: @CasmiUK

Excellent upgrade! I love the new features, and look of the forums. :thumbup:

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

The software has begun (May 28) to show me a tree of the first few words of replies instead of (as formerly) loading the full text of replies. Looking at those initial snippets is unhelpful to me. It makes the board far less attractive to me than it was when I began. This is no fun at all.

Is there some way, within the software, to choose the former way of displaying replies?

Hi Jerome,

The software has begun (May 28) to show me a tree of the first few words of replies instead of (as formerly) loading the full text of replies. Looking at those initial snippets is unhelpful to me. It makes the board far less attractive to me than it was when I began. This is no fun at all.

Is there some way, within the software, to choose the former way of displaying replies?

Yes, there is.

At the right top of each topic title, there is a little box with the word "Options". Click on it, and towards the bottom of the drop-down menu, second option from bottom, it says "Standard". Click on that and it should be as before again.

I think you may have selected "Outline" by accident.

Anyway, HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks. As if by magic, the software has stopped showing me the outline view and gone back to showing the standard view. But do not fear that your answer was useless. I've never knowingly pulled down the Options menu and I thank you for teaching me about still more software possibilities. If the software regresses to showing the outline view, I'll know what to do next time. The administrators' efforts not only to keep the board going but to give online technical assistance are much appreciated.

Hi Margana,

Does that help?

Yes! This is perfect! Thanks!

Warm regards, Wim

Probably not a priority but this is still happening. In order to view many of the graphics members upload, users must be registered and logged in. Hope you find a way to resolve this issue. It must be frustrating for unregistered guests to be unable to view the images around which many posts are built.

A certified Inkophile

Is there a way to mark PMs as having been replied to? I'm finding it hard to keep up with which ones still need a response and which ones have been handled.

Thanks.

A certified Inkophile

• 1 month later...
Is there a way to mark PMs as having been replied to? I'm finding it hard to keep up with which ones still need a response and which ones have been handled.

Thanks.

Margana, if you save a copy of the PMs you send to your "sent items" folder you can look there to see if you've responded. You won't see an option to do this until you have clicked "reply," then you must scroll to the bottom of the screen to choose the option. HTH

I wish there was a way to permanently choose to save a copy of sent PMs, but I haven't seen a way to do this.

Best, Ann

Thanks, Ann, I've been doing that but when there are a lot of PMs in a day or conversation going back and forth rapidly, tracking replies is a frustrating experience. Forgetting that I received a PM (that has since rotated out of sight to page two) without sending a reply is inevitable. Apparently it is a feature absent in the software and I gather it is only an issue for me. So I'm going to shift to using Gmail. No emoticons :crybaby: but at least I can track replies.

A certified Inkophile