FPN Board software upgrade, part deux

Admin

The upgrade adds a lot of value, for sure. On the downside, the board does not display properly in Firefox v2. The graphics in the FPN masthead are stacked one on top of the other, instead of displaying in a single line. Worse than that, the "Assistant" feature is unusable. The graphic portions take up the entire window, while the text and links are scrolled all the way to the right, out of reach. It's a problem. These problems do not occur with Internet Explorer, but I would hate to have to resort to IE for reading and posting to FPN!

I'm running FireFox v. 2.0.0.3 on WinXP Pro SP2 with all the latest Windows updates doodads, and everything seems to be rendering fine for me. Graphics are displaying fine, and nothing seems piled up to me on the main board or in the assistant window. Just another datum.

Don

Strange. That's exactly what I'm running: FireFox v. 2.0.0.3, WinXP Pro SP2 with all updates. We may have different screen resolutions -- mine is 1024x768 -- but I find it hard to believe that this could be a factor. Video card? Mine is an ATI Radeon X300 SE X300SE [320-3934] 128MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out). Mainstream stuff. Again, hard to believe it could be a factor. :unsure:

Viseguy

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• Viseguy

• Margana

• Maja

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, the upgrade is nice. I recognise the features from another forum I'm a member on.

I notice the current skin does not scale correctly in the banner section. The Search and Help buttons are of the screen at the right.

Also I uploaded the image below depicting the problem and I noticed the image is a 80kb jpg image on my harddrive while after uploading the board tells me I have used 1.96mb !?

Hans.

Yup, we have a bunch of kinks to work out.

There will be some kinks, which we will try to fix as the schedule allows. It proves to be a lot of work, unfortunately. OTOH, at least the board wasn't down very long during the upgrade.

In the mean time, if anybody encounters a specific problem, we would appreciate it if you would post this in the Community Feedback forum, in the topic created there for this purpose.

Please try to describe the problem as succinctly as possible, and add a screendump, or even a few, if it clarifies the situation any further. It makes it easier to find any problems and try to fix them.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Warm regards, Wim

P.S.: Here is the link to that thread:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...=29938&st=0

edit: added link to topic

Edited by wimg

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

...I've already used the mutiple posts quote feature. It's nice.

How do you do that? I don't see a button for it. I've been opening a copy of the thread in a separate tab and pasting quotes back into my reply. Is there a faster way? :unsure:

Hi Viseguy,

Just mark the posts to be quoted with the +Quote button, which then becomes a red -Quote, continue doing that for all the posts you want to quote, and on the last one click Reply. or mark them all this way and click Add reply when done.

That's it - easy.

Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years. Not exactly "intuitive", is it? "Minus Quote" to add quotes? :wacko: But... it works! Many thanks for the info.! :)

Well, it depends on where you're coming from I guess.

Think of it as a possible selection, not as a status.

When you see any post - that tab is always indicating + QUOTE. Doesn't mean that you've selected to quote it - it means click here to QUOTE. Naturally, when you've selected to QUOTE a post, there's no point in selecting it again, and the indicator flips to - QUOTE to show where you click to unselect the QUOTE function.

That seem more intuitive?

Regards,

Gerry

...On the downside, the board does not display properly in Firefox v2.

...It renders just fine with Firefox 2.0.0.2 on Linux.

...Think of it as a possible selection, not as a status.

When you see any post - that tab is always indicating + QUOTE. Doesn't mean that you've selected to quote it - it means click here to QUOTE. Naturally, when you've selected to QUOTE a post, there's no point in selecting it again, and the indicator flips to - QUOTE to show where you click to unselect the QUOTE function.

That seem more intuitive?

Well... not really. But thanks for trying! :) To me, it would make more sense to omit the plus and minus signs, and simply have the button toggle colors when clicked. But no matter. The important thing is that I now know how it works! Thanks to lisa, Wim and you, Gerry, for the pointers and explanations. :D

Viseguy

On the downside, the board does not display properly in Firefox v2. The graphics in the FPN masthead are stacked one on top of the other, instead of displaying in a single line. Worse than that, the "Assistant" feature is unusable. The graphic portions take up the entire window, while the text and links are scrolled all the way to the right, out of reach. It's a problem.

Actually, it was only an apparent problem. The display gets out of whack only when I enlarge the text size (Ctrl+<+>) past a certain point. If I decrease the text size (Ctrl+<->), everything looks fine, including the Assistant window. I should have experimented a little before complaining. Hope I didn't send anyone on a wild goose chase!

Viseguy

Does anyone know what the "Friends" feature is for?

A fellow FPNer added me as a "Friend" (thanks!) but neither of us are really sure what that function is all about....

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

You've probably noticed this already, but in threads that are broken up into multiple pages, the navigation buttons for the pages appear under the first message on each page, rather than at the top of the page.

Never mind. I just realized I was using the "Linear +" view. When I switched back to Standard view, things went back to normal. :)

Edited by Viseguy

Viseguy

On the downside, the board does not display properly in Firefox v2. The graphics in the FPN masthead are stacked one on top of the other, instead of displaying in a single line. Worse than that, the "Assistant" feature is unusable. The graphic portions take up the entire window, while the text and links are scrolled all the way to the right, out of reach. It's a problem.

Actually, it was only an apparent problem. The display gets out of whack only when I enlarge the text size (Ctrl+<+>) past a certain point. If I decrease the text size (Ctrl+<->), everything looks fine, including the Assistant window. I should have experimented a little before complaining. Hope I didn't send anyone on a wild goose chase!

Well, maybe not on a wild goose chase, but on a chase nonetheless :).

I must say I am glad, though, that the problem is solved. And I have moved on to another chase, and it looks like this one is a wild goose chase after all - that dreaded birth date problem in the personal profile.... :)

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

this thing has re-set itself to the main page 3 times

JD, what do you mean by this?

TIA, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

A fellow FPNer added me as a "Friend" (thanks!) but neither of us are really sure what that function is all about....

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Hi Maja,

I think it is the old buddy system or something like that. The new thing is that it notifies whoever is added. It may well be used for hooking into the separately available chat room. Just a wild guess, though :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Hi Maja,

I think it is the old buddy system or something like that. The new thing is that it notifies whoever is added. It may well be used for hooking into the separately available chat room. Just a wild guess, though :).

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks, Wim! Didn't know about the chat room :mellow: ....

Best wishes,

~Maja :)

I still have to log in about every third trip to the board. No problems with any of the other forums I frequent. I made sure to check the "remember me" box. Anyone else have this problem?

Larry

I still have to log in about every third trip to the board. No problems with any of the other forums I frequent. I made sure to check the "remember me" box. Anyone else have this problem?

Larry

The current setting is that the cookie for logging in here expires after 7 days, from the pc or mac you are using at that moment. I guess we could make that longer, but we'll have to discuss that first. Essentially, the new board software has heightened security measures, to prevent spammers and hackers as much as possible from doing their dastardly deeds, but unfortunately it also has an effect on legitimate users here.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Thanks in advance,

~Maja

Hi Maja,

I think it is the old buddy system or something like that. The new thing is that it notifies whoever is added. It may well be used for hooking into the separately available chat room. Just a wild guess, though :) .

Warm regards, Wim

Thanks, Wim! Didn't know about the chat room :mellow: ....

Best wishes,

~Maja :)

Hi Maja,

Hey, don't thank me, we don't have that software (yet) :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

Wim, I check FPN several times a day, I'm sure that the seven day feature is not the problem. I have had to log in twice today alone, and I haven't cleared my cookie cache.

Larry

Wim, I check FPN several times a day, I'm sure that the seven day feature is not the problem. I have had to log in twice today alone, and I haven't cleared my cookie cache.

Larry

I'm sure this is a stupid question - you don't have your system set to automatically clear cookies, right? some people do that. I don't. I guess though that this would only be cleared at shut-down.

Edited by KCat

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

Larry

Could it be that our sessions are now being tied to our IP addresses? I am on dialup with a dynamically assigned IP address, and I seem to be prompted to log in again whenever I have made a new connection to my ISP.

--

NdP