Diamine Shimmering Set (Half Of The Line Part 2) Overview

attika89

Chrissy, I like to think of attika89 as a friend on this forum and was "chatting" to him as such. No harm or disrespect meant. :(

I understand, and thank you for clearing that up so nicely. :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• attika89

• amberleadavis

• Chrissy

• Cyber6

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People appreciated atttika89's review and they said so, even when they disliked these particular inks. People did, yes. Other people. However, you didn't say anything other than the more you see them the more you dislike them

I'm sure the OP doesn't conflate views about the inks, with views about his work. He understands that. I'm sure he does understand that.

Isn't the point of a review to help inform peoples' opinion, pro or con, a particular ink? That is one of the points of a review, but you have already stated in a previous post on this forum that you never take any notice of other peoples ink reviews. So the fact that you rarely show any appreciation and only ever post 'cons' rather than 'pros' on particular ink brands might be less helpful than you think.

A high quality review is one which people read and that elicits opinions either way. On that basis attika89 knows that his is a successful review. Yes it is, and I hope he does.

In most ink review threads there are people who say they dislike the ink, even sometimes the reviewer themselves, if they're being honest. There are definitely people who say they dislike the ink. Most people don't doubt other people's honesty openly

Not everyone can like every ink that's reviewed and these inks were bound to polarise opinion. That they were.

I'm definitely in the dislike camp - I'd much rather have a sheening ink that's down to the skill of the ink mixer, rather than the addition of mica particles, or whatever it is they've bunged into their big cooking pots. And yes, they do look like glitter gel pens :-)

I think everyone knows that by now. Maybe some people believe that if they had had Sailor/Kobe/Bung Box or Kingdom Note on them, cost 3 times as much, and only a dozen bottles were available for 2 months of the year, you might have said something different.

They don't behave like glitter gel pens in my own personal experience. I think the way they behave depends on the pen and the nib used.

Ah - I thought it was about my post. Don't know why it matters so much whether I dislike them or not? All opinions are valid and I'm entitled to state mine, as you are yours.

I'm not sure why you thought it necessary to make a dig about Sailor inks though - seems rather gratuitous. But whatever, we'll not agree and it's getting boring, so let's move on.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Attila,

I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna raid your ink collection. Just kidding of course, but Diamine Night Sky just looks so amazing :)

Attila,

I'm gonna find you and I'm gonna raid your ink collection. Just kidding of course, but Diamine Night Sky just looks so amazing :)

Attila, don't tell him your address or mine. :lol: Well, unless you come to Las Vegas, then I'll invite you and send you some with some ink. :yikes:

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I find that the J. Herbin inks normally are subtle in the shimmer effect unless I go out of my way to find oblique lighting angles that make a whole lot of the particles "light up" in concert. Under normal lighting, a sprinkling of particles may be visible, producing an interesting effect but not something that takes center stage (IMHO). Would you say these Diamine inks are more dramatic to the point where one perceives the effect intensely in normal usage without going looking for it? Or are they very much like the J. Herbin inks in that it comes across as a subtle enhancement unless you go looking for particular lighting angles?

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

I find that the J. Herbin inks normally are subtle in the shimmer effect unless I go out of my way to find oblique lighting angles that make a whole lot of the particles "light up" in concert. Under normal lighting, a sprinkling of particles may be visible, producing an interesting effect but not something that takes center stage (IMHO). Would you say these Diamine inks are more dramatic to the point where one perceives the effect intensely in normal usage without going looking for it? Or are they very much like the J. Herbin inks in that it comes across as a subtle enhancement unless you go looking for particular lighting angles?

I have been using these inks for most of this year, and my results with them show a sprinkling of particles, but not something that takes 'center stage'. So I don't think that these inks are more dramatic to the point where one perceives the effect intensely in normal usage without going looking for it. I had to manipulate most of my written pages into different positions, in good daylight, so that I could take photos that showed the shimmer effect. I don't have the type of nib that was used to get this strong effect.

Attila, how was the cleanup?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Attila,

:lol:

The Night Sky was the most surprising of this batch!

Chrissy answered it I think. If you have the J.Herbin inks, you pretty much know what can be expected. From what I can see, the Diamine inks feel a tiny bit dryer, but the particles behave the same.

Cleanup form the Simmering inks?

It's easy when I only have one filled in a pen :D

Do the gold/silver particles "settle" in the bottle/pen so that you have to keep shaking them to keep them suspended? That's my only complaint about the J Herbin inks, otherwise they are beautiful. Thanks to everyone who has been testing these Diamine inks - your time and energy is appreciated by those of us who like to play with the glitter inks!

Breathe. Take one step at a time. Don't sweat the small stuff. You're not getting older, you are only moving through time. Be calm and positive.

I have been using these inks for most of this year, and my results with them show a sprinkling of particles, but not something that takes 'center stage'. So I don't think that these inks are more dramatic to the point where one perceives the effect intensely in normal usage without going looking for it. I had to manipulate most of my written pages into different positions, in good daylight, so that I could take photos that showed the shimmer effect. I don't have the type of nib that was used to get this strong effect.

Thanks. I just wonder if the negativity might, at least to some extent, be the flip side of unreasonably high expectations for shimmer and sheen. I've certainly heard from folks who were disappointed that the effect was too subtle in J. Herbin 1670 inks. Conversely, there could well be some folks who do not like the shimmer effect in the photos who nevertheless would find that the normal effect is subtle enough to be a good thing. I might like 0.25 ounces of mustard on a 4 ounce hamburger but not so much 4 ounces of mustard on a 0.25 ounce hamburger. :)

I know my id is "mhosea", but you can call me Mike. It's an old Unix thing.

What I don't like about the Herbin range is that you really need to keep shaking the pen to get the particles to mix.

I also found with the Herbins that the shimmer is very dependent on the type of paper used: a cheap paper shows little sheen where a better paper will show good sheen.

I should imagine the same goes for the Diamine shimmer inks - to get the best effect, you need to have a decent paper to show the sheen/shimmer.

I will definitely try one of the Diamines when they become freely available.

I personally don't mind having to shake the bottle to resuspend the particles, reminds of model paint (although shaking doesn't really work on all model paint, on that note, be happy we don't have to stir inks). Gravity is as gravity does, its only natural that heavy particles settle, call this ink a physics experiment

Don't mind me, I like to ramble... A LOT

As I'm not a drug dealer, I am usually not a fan of ostentatious bling ...

BUT ...

Attila's wonderful penmanship and these lustrous shimmering inks both bring a sparkle into my life.

SO ...

A massive THANK YOU to Attila and Diamine (oh, and not to forget J Herbin).

Cheers,

David.

OK folks, the important update: we have the ink and it is good to go on Friday B)

Diamine was kind enough to provide us some samples which we then passed on to people like Attila :)

I have inked all ten, for testing purposes of course :D

Here is the picture of another under dog - Night Sky.

Enjoy,

Mishka

post-72249-0-07697000-1444228452_thumb.jpg

bureaudirect the home of quality stationery
www.bureaudirect.co.uk
@bureaudirect

Thank you for the heads up! :)

I want to do another overview on these using also a finer nib and more papers.
I hope I'll happen soon, but the thing is that I also have a diploma project to do :P

Cleanup form the Simmering inks?

It's easy when I only have one filled in a pen :D

It's not so easy when you have 10 different pens filled with these inks. :o

My pens are all still filled with all of the inks from when I reviewed them on here just before I went to the US at the end of August.

I got them out the other day, and with the exception of an old Jinhao, whose nib I have had a go at regrinding, they all wrote first time without any problem. The particles settle in the bottom of the bottles, and along the converter or piston tube. So it's better to shake the bottle before you fill the pen, or shake the pen before you write with it, so as to mix the particles into the ink thoroughly.

I have cleaned up pens that have been filled with these inks. Because I was testing all 10 for many months, I selected pens that I didn't use all of the time and kept them for that particular ink. Clean-up of pens like Pilots, where the nib and feed can be removed and separated, was obviously the easiest, but otherwise I just used an ear bulb and flushed them out with water several times. Just like I would with any ink. Under a loupe, you may see an odd particle left on the feed, during the cleaning process, but after another flush, my pens cleaned up just like they would with any other ink.

I have no stained converters. :)

This is wonderful! It might be a nice Halloween ink, too :)

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/02/90afde2a3085ed4cafdf13d20100192b.jpg

Best regards,
Steve Surfaro
Fountain Pen Fun
Cities of the world (please visit my Facebook page for more albums)
Paris | Venezia

I did some writing with a not too wet fine nib:
This is Clairefontaine

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/6d7be27a335533c95ec8eed024007ba0.jpg
The reset is on Tomoe River

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/48e6a55541ae26f11135950c8714b9fb.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/c289145edf64a82eddc3a7abf9d64c04.jpg

With the light coming from the right angle:

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/7114f816b0e7b561d0c52c25d5813828.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/c130f75e507fb287c5dd4b058726e1eb.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/2ad65ac0259f0c27bdc168da6d577ef3.jpg

A little comparison with Stormy Grey
http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/2a91c4f43090fe0b89bc1109892aaf37.jpg

http://kephost.com/images/2015/10/08/bd1c47f4033366af5b7617a5012f3284.jpg

@Chrissy - Thank you so much for sharing your experiences! :happy:

Edited by attika89

I'm excited! I ordered the full line.