Nottingham And The East Midlands

alexhondsmerk

Calling all Nottinghamians!

The East Midlands seems to be sadly lacking a thread to call our own, so here we go! There seems to have been a little influx of locals recently (calling Sherwood Forester, mr dodo, evyxmsj, chrisheathcote, and all others!) and I thought it would be nice to perhaps get a local group or meet going.

A little about me I suppose, I'm a 4th year medical student at the University of Nottingham, born and bred in the Netherlands but loving life in the Midlands (indeed, my grandparents were from Derby originally, and the other half of the family from Burton!). I've been using fountain pens for basically as long as I can remember, and have accumulated a collection of mainly Japanese and German pens (Pelikan, Lamy, Pilot, and Platinum make up the bulk of my case) with a smattering of TWSBIs, Parkers and Noodlers too.

I'd love to meet some get to know some of the other enthusiasts in the area; I've had some success in converting friends and colleagues to the inky side, but an actual meet and great would be lovely!

Hopefully this can gain some traction; and see you around!

Alex

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• evyxmsj

• alexhondsmerk

• mr dodo

• enriquitorl

Hey thanks for starting the thread! It will be a while before I'm let out of the house again get some decent free time (a toddler and also a baby on the way). But I will definitely keep a look out. If something happens west of Nottingham way, I may get a chance to stop by.

Hope the studies go well Alex---I graduated from Notts Uni in 2007. I definitely enjoyed my time there!

Evy

(aka Matthew)

Edited for grammar

Edited by evyxmsj

Howdy all,

Currently studying for a masters (mathematical physics) at the university. I live in Beeston with my partner (been here for 3 years) and a meetup sounds like an exciting idea. I'm only a recent convert to the fountain pen (less than a year) but I can't see myself going back. I use mostly Indian eyedropper type pens, but I have a bunch of others - I'd say I'm way more into inks than I am into pens, though.

Thank you for starting this thread - hopefully we can make something happen :)

Well it sounds like a few of us are round Beeston and Uni. We could easily meet up at a pub or something.

I only 'discovered' Indian EDs about two days ago (thanks to Alex's review) and I'd be fascinated to see one. I'm the same: a long affinity for stationary has found its way to fountain pens in the last couple years, and more recently to inks.

Evy

Well it sounds like a few of us are round Beeston and Uni. We could easily meet up at a pub or something.

I only 'discovered' Indian EDs about two days ago (thanks to Alex's review) and I'd be fascinated to see one. I'm the same: a long affinity for stationary has found its way to fountain pens in the last couple years, and more recently to inks.

Evy

I'm afraid I've sold mine recently, or I'd have brought it along! Meetup would be good, see if we can get a few more on board!

I've been living in Nottinghamshire for about a couple of years now, though I am from sunny Spain.

Count me in!

Wonderful, nice to have you on board! Not quite so sunny here at the moment haha

• 1 month later...

So, anybody fancy having an inaugural / belated fountain pen day meetup sometime?

Sure, sometime this year?

Slight preference for a weekday evening (Wed-Fri), but can be swayed.

The Victoria Hotel is a nice pub, though could be a bit over-busy depending on when we meet. Any other suggestions? There's always the Last Post in Beeston (Weatherspoons). Usually plenty of room and cheap!

Evy

There's always the Last Post in Beeston (Weatherspoons). Usually plenty of room and cheap!

Evy

Last Post works for me; I'll multi quote the others to prod interest when I'm back on a PC this evening!

This sounds very exciting - was just thinking about this thread yesterday.

Lovely! If we can get enriquitorl in, then that's 4, which in my mind qualifies as a crowd for a first meet :lol:

I've been living in Nottinghamshire for about a couple of years now, though I am from sunny Spain.

Count me in!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone free next Friday / Saturday? Would be nice to have a get together before Christmas!

• 1 month later...

Well, we didn't quite make it for December, but then it is a busy period. Any interest in meeting for a drink & chat this month? We could do a doodle thing to agree a date, but seems overkill for only 4 of us! So as an initial offering, how about 20.00 at Last Post Beeston on 21, 22 or 23rd? (I'm free other days though).

I'll bring some inks if anyone wants to draw off a few small samples.

Of those I can only realistically do the 23rd, but that does sound very good.

Well, I'm in the area so how about I pop in to Last Post for a drink at 20.30 on 23rd? If you or anyone else are around you are welcome to stop by and say hello.

I'll bring some pens and inks...and a magazine in case no one turns up :)

I'll have a smallish cardboard box on the table so you should spot me!