First Fountain Pen Sheaffer 100: Factory Defect?

CyanFriskypaws

Hello,

About 4 weeks ago in late August I purchased a medium nib Sheaffer 100 fountain pen as my first fountain pen. I have accumulated knowledge and I do believe that mine has a factory defect. My pen seems to suffer from "nib creeping" where ink in the slit flows onto the top of the nib. Being new to this, I assumed this was normal until I found out through the internet that fountain pens aren't supposed to do this.
The nib creeping looks as follows: there is ink on either side of the slit, about 1/2 mm in width all the way from the point to the hole in the middle (it comes to a point toward the hole starting about 1 mm away from it). Sometimes it will be larger, even filling in the whole middle of the nib to the edges of the engraving.
I read that this is caused either by a stray cut in the slit during manufacturing, creating a channel for the ink to follow; or, it is caused by the type of ink. I happened to have a bottle but it is not expressly meant for fountain pens, I don't think. It is titled "the Writing Collection" with a sticker that says "Au Musée" and "Scribe's black ink." If you know anything about this, I would be very keen to know. It has worked fine for me so far, but I can't find anything about it on the internet. It is quality ink with plenty of the properties of credited inks that I have read about, and I believe that it is not the problem in this case. I have disposable cartridges and I tried one of those and it did the same thing.
If you could get back to me on what you think may be causing this issue and how we can solve it, I would appreciate it. I believe that it is a factory defect, personally; I cannot see any other reason, unless my knowledge of fountain pens is wrong (which it could be). To be clear, ink is not dripping off of it or anything, but I think it does impede writing a bit because an excess of ink is flowing onto the paper.
That was quite long-winded!
-Cyan

post-125385-0-12696300-1443639913_thumb.jpg

post-125385-0-62036200-1443639928_thumb.jpg

post-125385-0-03351400-1443639967_thumb.jpg

Edited by CyanFriskypaws

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CyanFriskypaws

• jar

• menganito

• northstar

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does it happen with a specific ink or with any ink? If there is not dripping off I would say it is normal. But I am not an expert. Being said that I have a sheaffer 100 but I don't remember see nib creep. But also I don't use it so much so Let's see what other can say.

When I clean my pens I will include it in my rotation.

Edit: this was also my first fountain pen

Edit 2: I have read you are not using specifically fountain pen ink, be very careful because although you can't see any damage it could clog the pen. I would recommend you flush the pen and use specific ink. My sheaffer 100 brought 2 cartridges, use one if you still have it.

Edited by menganito

I really don't know what kind of ink it is. It's definitely water-based, but i think it may be intended for used in fountain pens. I just honestly have no idea.

Hello,

I use two sheaffer 100, not seen such problem, try another ink and see what happens, and if possible post a pic of your ink bottle.

Best regards.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/297784-unknown-ink-identification-and-classification/

coming from the same poster... though nib creep is normal depending on the ink I have Sailor Shousaikan Seiran on my Lamy 2K and the nib is becoming blue indigo like... if it writes without any problems for days on end I dont see any problems heck I'm getting dye crystals on my alt-Bordeaux and ancient copper

Is there such thing as normal nib creep?

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/297784-unknown-ink-identification-and-classification/
coming from the same poster... though nib creep is normal depending on the ink I have Sailor Shousaikan Seiran on my Lamy 2K and the nib is becoming blue indigo like... if it writes without any problems for days on end I dont see any problems heck I'm getting dye crystals on my alt-Bordeaux and ancient copper

Yes... I've been wondering: is there such thing as normal nib creep? I have thought that fountain pens are supposed to have immaculate nib surfaces at pretty much all times. If nib creep can be normal, then how often should this occur?

Is there such thing as normal nib creep?

Yes... I've been wondering: is there such thing as normal nib creep? I have thought that fountain pens are supposed to have immaculate nib surfaces at pretty much all times. If nib creep can be normal, then how often should this occur?

there is no right answer there since it depends on the particular ink, particular nib and unique circumstances in each case.

The question of whether or not what was shown in nib creep or the result of trying to use drawing/drafting ink instead of fountain pen ink is a bigger issue.

normal with that particular ink in that particular pen that particular day.

http://www.fototime.com/DD241C313ACCEE8/large.jpg

same ink, different pen, different day.

http://www.fototime.com/279A5E855750B96/large.jpg

My Website

I think the main consensus is changing the ink and use a explicitly fountain pen safe ink. Then see if nib creep ceases. Some of us like stained nibs sometimes.

Yep, change ink.

What ink were you using?

I very, very seldom have creep...not enough to keep an eye on an ink.

Jar had the right of it...

wipe and go, get another ink.

There are inks that are famous for creep like Diamine anchient Copper.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

You might also pay attention to how you pull the cap off and how much jostling the pen gets during the day. It is a rare day that the pens I write with don't have a bit of ink on the nib.

Ink happens ...

BTW: the 100 is a great pen.

Edited by Wandering Man

Never argue with drunks or crazy people.