Pelikan M805 Blue/black (Medium)

sirach

There are few brands that I drool over more than Pelikan. So it was very exciting when I received this pen in the mail from Rolfe at Missing-Pen.de. First, I have to say, if you are looking for a Pelikan, I can not recommend Missing Pen enough. Rolfe is a joy to work with and his service is prompt and thorough. I was also treated with some of his store exclusive Diamine Ink "Racing Green" More on that later.

I have had this pen long enough now to get my thoughts together about it. I would have posted sooner, but we have had a lot going on. I guess the first thing to answer is "Why the M805 in Blue?" I can not afford a M1000 at this point, and I was nearly about to go for the M800 in red several years ago when I first started looking at getting one of these, but the blue just.... strikes my fancy.

http://i.imgur.com/z8fQS2S.jpg

My understanding is that the Pelican with its Baby has often been used as a symbol of Christianity because the Pelican will pierce it's own chest and feed its young blood if food is in short supply, which can be referenced to Christ, having His side pierced for all of us. For more reading on that: The Symbolism of the Pelican.

Pelican.JPG

Engraving on the front of a Catholic Alter

LogoAll.jpg

I don't know if that was the intention of Pelikan, but I like the idea that it was. There are plenty of luxury fountain pen companies, so the idea that one might be a bit more noble, impresses me. I may just be coming up with excuses to like Pelikan more, but I think it's nice to be able to put my finger on some of the intangibles.... and I already like the brand.

http://i.imgur.com/RnEI1G4.jpg

And, seriously, there are plenty of reasons to like the brand. I enjoy all the details. The motif of the pelican moves on to the clip where the eye and bill are represented. That slight swoop at the end makes it a very functional clip too.

http://i.imgur.com/Tstrcpv.jpg

The pattern is also very interesting. I like the Stresemann pattern. It is different and interesting. There are very small imperfections in some of the blue strips, but I like it, it makes mine unique. The Pelikan website has a better explanation of the history of the man behind the pattern:

The foreign minister of the Weimar Republic, Gustav Stresemann (1879- 1929), was honored with the Nobel Prize for Peace in 1926: Together with his French colleague Aristide Briand, he was acknowleged for his reconciliatory work between the nations after World War I. Besides his impressive political career, Stresemann also became famous for the creation of a new kind of suit that was still sufficiently formal for official presentations and yet comfortable enough for his work at the office. Stresemann liked to wear suits with thin stripes, and, as life sometimes goes, a legend developed … and suddenly, people called the striped fountain pens from Pelikan -- that were just then starting their global tour of success around the world -- by the name of "Stresemann“.

Both the suits and the pens still carry that name to this day.

http://i.imgur.com/vswZ2Lz.jpg

Being part of the Souverän series of pens, the 805 has a piston filling system. The differential screw piston filler is really one of the things that made Pelikan famous.

From: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/pelikan-fountain-pen-guide/

Pelikan’s fountain pen was revolutionary in the sense that it had a piston mechanism that consisted of differential threads. This mechanism was invented by the Hungarian engineer Theodor Kovács and filed in 1921 and patented in 1923. Using two threads with different telescope thread leads, the piston moves much faster than with a single thread. This not only allowed for a quicker charging by simply turning a knob, but it also increased the capacity considerably. On top of that, the use of cork prevented the fountain pen from leaking. Pelikan bought the patent for this invention in 1927 from Kovács since he failed to create a working fountain pen with his Croatian business partners. Pelikan later substituted the cork with plastic as seen below, because cork dries out over time and decreases in volume, causing the fountain pen to leak.

http://i.imgur.com/hCGHV8u.jpg

That is a beautiful nib. I realize I am gushing about this pen, so it may be surprising that I had a small, short lived disappointment. I am not sure if mine just needed some break in time, or it had slight baby's bottom, or what, but I did have some skipping and hard starts until I had ran about 2 fills through it. I have heard that Pelikans sometimes need breaking in, so I was not too stressed... but I still think it should have written perfect out of the gate.

Other than that small hiccup, it has been a wonderful nib. It is a European Medium. I have found it true to my idea of medium. It is, of course, wider than a Pilot, or Sailor, etc. It does not really seem any wider than my Montblanc M, or my Lamy M.

It is an 18k gold nib, plated with rhodium. It is not a particularly soft nib, but it certainly is not a nail. It's nice.

http://i.imgur.com/rHKL98E.jpg

I have other German pens, but these three are my German Knights. If I put the Lamy 2000 right next to the Montblanc 149 they would seem in more stark comparison; the Pelikan M805 is a nice balance between the two.

http://i.imgur.com/xp98OP6.jpg

I do realize it would be more appropriate to compare the Pelikan M805 to the Montblanc 146, but I don't have a MB 146, I DO have a MB 149. I really want a Pelikan M1000 now, but it will have to wait, besides the M805 is really the perfect size for daily use. The two companies have a history together, too. There was even a time that Pelikan made the ink for Montblanc and Montblanc made the nibs for Pelikan.

http://i.imgur.com/LZ4GwCw.jpg

As I was taking the pictures for this post, my 7 year old reminded me that we had gotten TWO new pens. It is true, I also purchased a new pen for my wife. Neon Coral Lamy Safari, the limited edition color for 2014.

In conclusion, I am smitten. I love the pen. I love the nib, the size, the color, the whole brand. If you have ever been on the fence about Pelikan... come on in, the water is fine. I can also recommend Rolfe Thiel with Missing-Pen (http://stores.ebay.com/missing-pen) He is a joy to work with, has excellent service, and phenomenal prices.

My expectations have been exceeded, and that is a rarity. I am not often blown away.

Edited by sirach

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirach

• steelblue

• rudyhou

• them700project

Thank you for this coincidentally same day same pen review of your stunning rhodiated white nib m805. I do love mine. I liked the story of the logo very much, thanks for sharing.

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

Thanks for the review and some interesting information

There was even a time that Pelikan made the pistons fillers for Montblanc ...

do you have a source for this?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks for the review and some interesting information

do you have a source for this?

Thanks!

Hari

Went back and checked. I was WRONG!!! Pelikan produced INK for MB while MB produced Nibs. I fixed the post. Thank-you! This was my source: http://www.gentlemansgazette.com/pelikan-fountain-pen-guide/

Edited by sirach

Great review, just received my own blue M805 EF and I too was blown away. It's immediately apparent this pen is built to last yet it sacrifices nothing in elegance. I'm interested in the 1000 as well but prefer nail nibs so the springy 1000 nib might not be for me.

I just picked this up in bold. It is my second in the 800 series. Just finished my first ink fill in it and am tempted to not jump to another pen and just refill it again. Im tempted to pick up the stresemann and continue down the 8xx road. they are sized perfectly for me.

Congrats on your purchase and sharing your review. Won't be long before you start looking to add to the flock, I'm sure.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Much as I'm enjoying the M805 I keep hearing a voice telling me the 600 size might be even more comfortable for long note sessions. Only a matter of time I guess.

I recently got a m205, and I thought I wouldn't like it because I really like the size of the m805.... but it is really nice for quick notes. I know I would like the m1000, but I am also drawn to the m600 size. You are right, it is only a matter of time till I have them both...

Nice review! My blue stripe M800 is my favorite pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Nice review, sirach.

The medium point on your pen looks quite narrow to me, in other words, not as blobby as Souverans have become in the last few years.

Or is it just me?

I think the Pelikans run a bit broader than the average. I like it....

I realize they are in different inks, etc, and not the greatest paper.... stil

sorry about the poor handwriting, it has been a long day and I was taking care of kids at the same time.

http://i.imgur.com/WlUKaxH.jpg

Edited by sirach

Thanks for this post I love Pelikan. Have the 605 all blue and it is one of my favorite pens.

Pelikan is coming out with a black orange 800 that has to be amazing, but if it was a 1000 size it would be the top of the top.

Your photography is excellent and that new pen sure is a perfect jewel.

Gorgeous BLUE Stripped!

Sigh!.... I need MORE Money!

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke