Resin V. Solitaire

Drcollector

So adorable! Thanks for the responses. I am not too fond of the doue pens, but the geometric dimensions stands out above the rest. Perhaps it is the texture. In the end, I settled with a 149 in black and gold and sold most of my platinum-plated pens. I feel that there is a charm in the gold furniture that platinum lacks. But there comes the point where one must explore; perhaps a 146 bordeaux will do. :)

On another note, I've taken an interest in the Boheme because of the retractable nib, but in person they are tiny! I also hear that they can clog up pretty easily.

Bohemes are fantastic and dependable pens. I think 20 years from now they'll be as iconic and desirous as the 149. :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Drcollector

• Pen Nut

• max dog

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bohemes are fantastic and dependable pens. I think 20 years from now they'll be as iconic and desirous as the 149. :)

While I think Bohemes are nice pens, and I have one of the XL versions, there is too much variety in their line to be iconic. You need an almost singular form factor to really be an icon like the 149.

Plus, the pens are just not as impressive in size as the 149.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

While I think Bohemes are nice pens, and I have one of the XL versions, there is too much variety in their line to be iconic. You need an almost singular form factor to really be an icon like the 149.

Plus, the pens are just not as impressive in size as the 149.

I disagree with all of your premises, but appreciate your perspective. :)

I feel the 149 was more close to iconic when it was only available as a 149.

(ie. a straightforward 149 rather than the recent variants; platinum/rose +)

Re the OP: Some of the plainer solitaires are very attractive to me. But, when the cap is off, the resin section can jar with the design (imho). Gives the game away. They're still beautiful pens, but the classic black resin 146 is as good as it gets for me. My perfect pen. I won't sully this thread with a crude iphone snap - but if anyone has a nice resin pic to lend to the argument: most welcome.

Thanks

Initially I disliked the look of the Boheme, but now here I am waiting for it to be delivered. :lol: I think I could toy with the retractable nib for hours on end...

I completely agree with the statement about the resin section contrasting the metal. It is one of the features that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a solitaire. I am fairly certain that my next purchase will be a resin 146!

Urushiphile

but the classic black resin 146 is as good as it gets for me. My perfect pen. I won't sully this thread with a crude iphone snap - but if anyone has a nice resin pic to lend to the argument: most welcome.

Thanks

I wont fault you for that. I think the black resin cigar shape silhouette that is the 149/146 is timeless. People say that familiar black cigar shaped gold trimmed form factor is boring, and it may be in any other pen, but not when it is Montblanc for some reason, I never tire of the look.

Resin or Solitaire? I say you just can't go wrong with either.

The Precious Resins' in all their glory.

fpn_1412658001__imag0283.jpg

fpn_1411887066__red_montblanc_2.jpg

Edited by max dog

I feel the 149 was more close to iconic when it was only available as a 149.

(ie. a straightforward 149 rather than the recent variants; platinum/rose +)

Re the OP: Some of the plainer solitaires are very attractive to me. But, when the cap is off, the resin section can jar with the design (imho). Gives the game away. They're still beautiful pens, but the classic black resin 146 is as good as it gets for me. My perfect pen. I won't sully this thread with a crude iphone snap - but if anyone has a nice resin pic to lend to the argument: most welcome.

Thanks

I quite like the contrast of the sterling silver caps with the resin body on the Doués, or the burgundy resin body with vermeil cap.

I completely agree with the statement about the resin section contrasting the metal. It is one of the features that keeps me from pulling the trigger on a solitaire. I am fairly certain that my next purchase will be a resin 146!

This is one thing I noticed odd with the MB metal Solitaire pens initially, that resin section interrupts the continuity with the rest of the metal pen somewhat, but perhaps MB designers know metal sections are not very popular with many fountain pen users. Metal sections can become more slippery than resin in long writing sessions. That is of course a personal preference, but if a metal section also means losing the ink window as with many all metal pens, no thanks. Retaining the resin section does not seem so bad actually.

The only other all metal pen I know with built in piston filler is the Pelikan Majesty. You have to take off the barrel though to see the ink level of the ink chamber inside. (but it's actually a built in converter and not a real piston filler).

Edited by max dog

• 4 years later...

I keep going back and forth on this very question however in my limited experience the "precious" resin pens have been better performers than the solitaire counterparts. Not sure if it has something to do with the 14K nib vs the 18K nib. Don't get me wrong, I love the elegant, eye-catching solitaires I own but I've found them to be consistently worse performers than the resin models. Just my off the couch experience and I'm sure there are others who will disagree...I hope to be persuaded otherwise.

Edited by Solitaire100