What's Your "Cleaner" Ink?

Flaxmoore

Thank you, Sandy, you are always a Fountain of Inky information.

Yes, okay, hello, don't get me wrong I'm really terribly sorry to resurrect an old thread, except:

Inkformation.

That is all.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• Manalto

• Arkanabar

Welcome aboard and yes, this is helpful Inkformation.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I also love Sailor Do-You and regret not getting another bottle to combine shipping. It's great that it's very affordable and a regular line-up (fingers crossed). The ink functions well and is very work-appropriate and easy to use without the cleaning property too.

Edited by snail

OK, what color is Sailor Doyou? Some ads suggest gray, some green. I ordered one from Japan for $12.49 postpaid. Seemed like the lowest of several exorbitant prices on ebay.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

It's a sort of black.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

OK, what color is Sailor Doyou? Some ads suggest gray, some green. I ordered one from Japan for $12.49 postpaid. Seemed like the lowest of several exorbitant prices on ebay.

The normal price from any of a number of US retailers $18.00. I think you might be confusing Do-you with Rikyu-cha, which is also the same price, but is a P&M Cigar look-alike, so sometimes brown, sometimes green.

Gee, I now feel a bit burned. In Japan, Sailor Four Seasons inks are the same price as their regular Sailor Blue, Sailor Blue-black, etc. which is 1080 ¥ (about $9.80 right now), compared with the $18 I noted above as the US retail price.

Edited by white_lotus

• 1 year later...

Well, I can add a new one to the list.

A light blue had developed in the ink window of my Noodler’s Nib Creaper. It’s a workhorse pen and gets different inks in it all the time when I need something quick and simple with a small hint of flex. No idea what stained the pen, but it’s been blue since at least summer last year (no, not BSB). I figured that light blue would be there forever, since I couldn’t get it out, but it also didn’t seem to be doing any harm.

Tonight, I had to flush out my latest fill: Noodler’s Ellis Island Blue Black. Window was completely clear. Can’t explain it, but whatever had stained the window for months is completely gone. No trace of blue in that sucker.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know where these inks get their magic abilities from? I have tried a sample of Sailor Doyou a while back and found it to be extremely smoothing on the nib - could it be that it has a high amount of detergent in it? The whole Jentle line in general generates lots of bubbles when you agitate the bottle. Perhaps it would be akin to filling a pen with soap and leave it in there for extended periods of time? Only that the soap is "built" into the ink itself? (A strained comparison, I know.)

Dominique

Edited by by_a_Lady

Snail Mail

(fluent in SK, CZ, DE, EN

currently learning EO, JP, NL)

Does anyone know where these inks get their magic abilities from? I have tried a sample of Sailor Doyou a while back and found it to be extremely smoothing on the nib - could it be that it has a high amount of detergent in it? The whole Jentle line in general generates lots of bubbles when you agitate the bottle. Perhaps it would be akin to filling a pen with soap and leave it in there for extended periods of time? Only that the soap is "built" into the ink itself? (A strained comparison, I know.)

Dominique

Sailor inks are exceptionally lubricated. I just inked my Sailor pen with some Sailor ink and was taken aback how nicely lubricated their inks are. Makes me get their appeal all over again, such a shame the inks are now so overpriced (except their regular colours luckily, I love their blue!).

What it exactly is I don't know....

I was curious about the magic sauce in Doyou too. Multiple people have said that ink is magic in cleaning or restoring pens. I've not got a bottle of it yet (don't care much for the color), but I admit I'm kinda ready to get a bottle to see if it is everything reports say it is.

Dominique

I have heard that the old Skrip inks were really heavy on detergent.

Oh, such an interesting thread! I have Doyou.. Now I know which ink to put in my Luxor pens next..

I've noticed the one with Noodler's eel turquoise improved more than the others. So I suspect inks with high lubrication will do the trick? 🙂

I am a big fan of Doyou, have got 5 bottles of it.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

• 4 weeks later...

Manalto and Errant Smudge,

I did the tests with Rattler Red, but based this on a perhaps misremembered comment by NT of Noodler's that the old Skrip inks were heavy in detergent. I have had amazing luck with Vintage Sheaffer Skip Blue Black and Red. I haven't tested the other eel inks, but suspect that they too would work.

What is Rattler Red is amazing for? ... getting out stains. With just one use, the pen went from this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_195944.jpg

To this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140713_211154.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_165723.jpg

What is this sorcery!!!??? (Adds to Wishlist)

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Throw in another vote for Doyou, with the bonus of it being my favourite ink colour. That will last only as long as my bottle lasts, because I just can't stomach the incredible price increase though!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

It there anything that’s good at de-staining Parker 51 aerometric pli-glass sacs?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Vintage Sheaffer ink will work well, as will any of the other inks listed above. What do you have on hand?

Vintage Sheaffer ink will work well, as will any of the other inks listed above. What do you have on hand?

I don't have either Doyu or Vintage Sheaffer :( I just have some pen cleaning solution by J. Herbin. It's done a pretty good job, but not perfect. Could be I just need to do more repeated soaking. Will try a fill of Lamy Petrol too with pen sitting nib-up too.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

The pen cleaning solutions in my limited experience with them, appear to have lots of ammonia. You want an ink that is high in detergents. I have also done really well with glycerin water.