What's Your "Cleaner" Ink?

Flaxmoore

Since I'm not a chemist, I'll 'splain it like Lucy would 'splain it.

The new young detergent start playing around with the old dye particles and the old dyes are more attracted to the young soaps than the same old boring pen and bam, the old dyes, stop staining the pens and leave with the other ink.

And do you need any more proof that I don't teach high school chemistry?

Good enough for me! :P Thanks!!!

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ErrantSmudge

• Manalto

• Arkanabar

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I've read through it and in addition to the informative suggestions given here, I have a couple of questions to ask on the same topic. (I asked this question in shorter form on my "Targa" thread, but thought it wiser to have the headline reflect the topic of discussion.)

When one acquires an old pen that had been left for many years with ink in it, aside from plain-water soaking, mild ammonia and weak detergent solutions (taking care of the pen's materials, of course), what's a good strategy for cleaning out the old dried-up ink? I recently got a Targa that needed cleaning, and after it seemed that the flush was complete (clear) I filled it with some Private Reserve 'Tanzanite' having read here about that ink's "laxative" properties. Well, it seems to be working, because instead of the vivid purple-blue characteristic of this ink, 24 hours later it's writing nearly black ("midnight" purple).

Considering the old rule of chemistry that "like dissolves like" - are all modern inks similar enough so they'll work on old ink residue as solvents?

And finally, have you any "cleaner inks" to add to the suggestions made here?

Sixty years ago, there must have been a significant segment of the pen-buying population who just refilled their pens (with the same stuff they had been using) when the pen ran out of ink, so I assume that some allowance must have been designed into vintage pens so they'd function properly when less than scrupulously clean. However, residue that's completely dry and decades old may be another story - or maybe not.

Edited by Manalto

James

Goulet Pens also offers their Goulet Pen Flush. It did a good job of cleaning out some dark purple ink that was stuck in my Pelikan M200 piston-filler and wouldn't flush with plain water.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

There is a fountain pen cleaner liquid from Rohrer and Klingner. It doesn't seem to be present in the English section but you might want to try it out if you can get a hold of it.

Mike

I think I bought mine from Seitz Kreuznach when I ordered the R&K Documentis Braun. I haven't used it yet as I eye droppered a Kaweco Sport with the ink & suspect it may have become a "dedicated pen," since it has such a FILL of ink.

I stumbled across this cleaner by Diamine; I have no idea what's in it or if it works.

https://www.cultpens.com/i/q/DM45417/diamine-nib-cleaning-solution-30ml

Jetpens.com sells the Rohrer & Klingner cleaner liquid (that is even hard to say in my head, let alone out loud) and a J. Herbin one. They also sell two versions of a Platinum cleaning product that is cartridge based. I haven't used any of these, so I can't say if they work.

If water isn't enough, I've had good luck with Goulet's Pen Flush. I had a catastrophe with R&K Solferino - the converter leaked inside the barrel of my Pilot 74 - and Goulet's product was able to clean out the purpley-pinky stain from it.

Edited by julia239

Pilot/Namiki Black is an effective pen cleaner, and the mixture with the previous dye will just darken the ink (unlike blue inks, which may come out as a less palatable color depending on the previous dye). Pilot/Namiki Black just needs at least moderately good paper if you're going to write while cleaning / clean while writing.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. Cleaning and a "cleansing" ink are two different concepts but, yes, there are beneficial and theraputic qualities to some inks but I've only used Waterman's for such endeavors. To tune up or even rehabilitate the feed/flow, etc., usually a reservoir full of Waterman's is all that's required, rarely two. And it really, really works! I have two additional sources to testify from personal experience (one says: "It's good for what ails ya'") and a professional source is Mr. Binder, He Who Must Be Obeyed.

Cleaning and a "cleansing" ink are two different concepts...

At the risk of enduring yet another pointless semantic kerfuffle (q.v. translucent vs. transparent), according to whom are they different concepts?

Edited by Manalto

James

At the risk of enduring yet another pointless semantic kerfuffle (q.v. translucent vs. transparent), according to whom are they different concepts?

Have you ever said when about to enjoy a beer that it was time for a cleaning ale?

I rest my case. ;)

X

With all due respect, counselor, your case doesn't rest until you've made your point. Do you mean "clean" refers to the outside of the pen and "cleanse" to the internal mechanism?

(FWIW, I'm reasonably certain, depite the vast quantities I've imbibed, that I've never in my life uttered the phrase "cleansing ale.")

Edited by Manalto

James

Must be an Australian or English expression then. I was making a play on the fact that, in the ordinary meaning of that expression, one seeks to feel refreshed after hot or tiring work. Few would call for a glass of detergent. However, I am not seeking to prescribe meanings based on vernacular.

Transparent and translucent though, are to me demonstrably different though overlapping, both technically and in common use. Perhaps I should find that thread.

On the other hand, tell me there is a difference between use and usage and my eyes may glaze over. :rolleyes:

X

Earlier in this thread it was said Noodler's Red Rattler Eel is a good cleaner ink.

Does it have to be Red Rattler, or will any color from the Noodler's Eel family work just as well?

Must be an Australian or English expression then. I was making a play on the fact that, in the ordinary meaning of that expression, one seeks to feel refreshed after hot or tiring work. Few would call for a glass of detergent. However, I am not seeking to prescribe meanings based on vernacular.

Transparent and translucent though, are to me demonstrably different though overlapping, both technically and in common use. Perhaps I should find that thread.

On the other hand, tell me there is a difference between use and usage and my eyes may glaze over. :rolleyes:

I figured it was an expression that never found its way to us here in the hinterlands. I saw somewhere a distinction of cleanse for humans and conceptual use ("cleanse the soul"), where your new-to-me expression fits nicely, and clean for literal and practical applications. I never thought to put such fine point on it but now I will.

I do hope you'll chime in on transparent/translucent (it's here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/316855-pelikan-m200-or-platinum-3776/); fighting the battle all alone can become disheartening. Who knows? We might even agree.

I agree on the glaze-inducing effect of use/usage, but stand my ground regarding "preventive" (adjective) and "preventative" (noun). Pretentious speakers are seduced by that additional syllable.

So Errant Smudge (best screen name award)'s post doesn't get buried in all this silliness, here 'tis again:

Earlier in this thread it was said Noodler's Red Rattler Eel is a good cleaner ink.

Does it have to be Red Rattler, or will any color from the Noodler's Eel family work just as well?

Edited by Manalto

James

I have only one eel ink. It's the green cactus one with some strange spelling I forget at the moment. It seems to do pretty well in de-staining my converters as memory serves.

I tend to use Waterman "Black" as the ink I put in a pen when I need to see if it's a pen or an ink that is the problem.

<a href="Http://inkynibbles.com">Inky NIBbles, the ravings of a pen and ink addict.</a>

I agree on the glaze-inducing effect of use/usage, but stand my ground regarding "preventive" (adjective) and "preventative" (noun). Pretentious speakers are seduced by that additional syllable.

and many years ago some commenters were wholly subjugated by the rise of The Commentator. The other thread has moved on a couple of pages. I agree with your usage in the common form and use them that way myself, an indication of clarity rather than intensity (if I understood you correctly). Technically, transparency is (or can be) in relation to a specified band of wavelengths where translucency relates specifically to the band which is visible light.

X

Manalto and Errant Smudge,

I did the tests with Rattler Red, but based this on a perhaps misremembered comment by NT of Noodler's that the old Skrip inks were heavy in detergent. I have had amazing luck with Vintage Sheaffer Skip Blue Black and Red. I haven't tested the other eel inks, but suspect that they too would work.

What is Rattler Red is amazing for? ... getting out stains. With just one use, the pen went from this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140706_195944.jpg

To this:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140713_211154.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inked_Today/slides/20140712_165723.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

And here were the results of Parker Quink with Solv-X followed by 4 fills of Vintage Skrip Blue Black.

So, from this:

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016-Ink/Pens/Vac700/20160125_155223.jpg

To this:

http://www.sheismylawyer.com/2016_2_Ink/08-August/slides/IMG_20160826_205052.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY