Question About Servicing

ikondave

I have a mid 80's 149 Meisterstuck that I purchased new for my father on his 60th birthday. He passed away several years ago and my step mother recently found the pen and very kindly sent it to me. My father was not at all familiar with fountain pens, and I think it's possible that he put too much pressure on the nib, although I cannot see any obvious damage. It is in overall excellent condition. I slowly and carefully cleaned it but the nib is still a problem, experiencing a great deal of skipping after a few minutes of writing quite well.

I am at a point where I believe that it needs professional attention. Checking the Montblanc site only confused me. Might someone be able to suggest an option or two for restoring this beautiful pen's nib to good health?

Thank you.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ikondave

• Padawan

• goatgolfer

• meiers

Top Posters In This Topic

It fills properly. When I have cleaned the pen it was clear that the filling system was fully operational. If I clean the nib every five minutes or so, it writes pretty well. It feels like the nib picks up every little spec of dust or fiber from the paper and becomes clogged.

It wouldn't help much if you don't know what you're looking for, but have you been able to check it out with a loupe?

I am at a point where I believe that it needs professional attention. Checking the Montblanc site only confused me. Might someone be able to suggest an option or two for restoring this beautiful pen's nib to good health?

If you're not adverse to paying $$$ why not drop in into local MB boutique and ask if they've any recommendation for local expertise? Either that or they send back to HQ for service.

Otherwise if you're in no hurry, there's more than likely to be dried ink inside & just needs a good soaking. If there's nothing on the pen that can be damaged by water then simply sitting it nib down in a half full glass would help. Or just fill it with water, give it a flush & refill every week and it might fix itself after a few fills... either water or I often use schoolblue Quink :)

The closest MB boutique is nearly five hours away. I haven't tried soaking it for the length of time that you are proposing, but it sounds worth a try. Thanks. Still, I would like to find a qualified person who can solve this issue and possibly give it a professional cleaning.

You can send it to a MB boutique for service. Reports of service quality/pricing/courtesy vary widely.

You can select a "nibmeister" independently: there are several highly recommended here on FPN.

Whichever you choose, asking about wait time and pricing first is advisable.

You are fortunate to have your father's pen. I hope you get to enjoy it soon.

gary

I received my MB 149 from total overhaul from official MB boutique abt a month ago. Costs USD70, 4 weeks waiting.

My complaints were very hard piston movement and dry writing/ink flow.

afterwards very good writing.

"My" boutique is 3 subway stations away from home.

http://www.montblanc.com/en/find-montblanc.html

shows more than a dozen boutiques in Hong Kong.

There is a pair of recent similar topics with a recommendation to use MB Royal Blue Ink with cleaning additives.

I received my MB 149 from total overhaul from official MB boutique abt a month ago. Costs USD70, 4 weeks waiting.

My complaints were very hard piston movement and dry writing/ink flow.

afterwards very good writing.

"My" boutique is 3 subway stations away from home.

http://www.montblanc.com/en/find-montblanc.html

shows more than a dozen boutiques in Hong Kong.

There is a pair of recent similar topics with a recommendation to use MB Royal Blue Ink with cleaning additives.

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that I should call the MB folks in Atlanta and arrange to ship it to them.

BTW Padawn, do you live in Hong Kong? My wife and I spent a year there and fell in love with the place. Hope to return for 10 weeks in 2017.

I sent my '90s era MB 149 to Dallas as the local Detroit MB store closed. I got the address from a Google search. Instructions were clear and they sent an email with a list of repair recommendations. Like a car repair the elements come in modules and can't be done a la carte. Piston, feed, cleaning and new body were $104 USD and turnaround from ship to return was 4 weeks as previously mentioned. No nib replacement was on the invoice but what was returned doesn't match what was sent but is the same markings, quality.

Most importantly, the pen writes beautifully with a M nib and MB blue-black. There are well trained and professional pen people in Detroit. MB has the components to smooth the process and it improved my confidence that the pen is factory fresh.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....

Thanks for the info goatgolfer. Does your name have anything to do with spending lots of time in the tall grass? :-)

Mori Luggage in Charleston is an authorized Montblanc dealer.

Love's still going strong?

My Website

Thanks for the info goatgolfer. Does your name have anything to do with spending lots of time in the tall grass? :-)

Goat writes: Well sussed, oh-ikon ish one. However, if I can't find the ball I am uniquely equipped to mow the problem to size.

I'm going to go write something with my MB149 to make myself feel better.

Sometimes I think I can taste the colors of the ink through my eyes. That Emerald.....