European (Preferred) Snap-Capping Pen ~100€ - Recommendations

Armand.D

Hello everyone :)

To be clear I am searching for a new pen around ~100€ to replace my Lamy 2000, which finally doesn't suits me.

• I found it too heavy for daily use in high-school + as I am lefty, I didn't find it comfortable enough.
  • My reference pen was during one year the Lamy Safari (wet F), not the best ink capacity but the best comfort I found among others (parker sonnet, 45, 2000, fpr) and the best facility of use ; it's just reliable - solid - working.

I) So what's essential for my pen is :

1 - Snap Cap : This is a must for me in fast note-taking, I just don't really like the screwing-type.

2 - Comfort : Anything close to the triangular section of the Safari is welcome, and I say it now : I don't like textured ones.
Otherwise I prefer pens coming with a mat finish, less sweat is better.

3 - Nib Feeling : I wrote one year with a wet Fine nib, and judging my experience from the semi-hooded of the 2k, any Western medium is ok.. I just prefer normal nib shapes → hoodeds are not very practical for my writing-style (between side/over-writer).

At 100€ I don't really mind for the gold nib, I think that a reliable firm-smooth nib should do the trick.

II) Notes :

I prefer to avoid Japanese pens for their nib-size system (I have three pilot's and I find the mediums too thin)..

But if you have japaneses snap-caps with good M/B nib, yes !

(I would like to hear about the capless/decimo comfort).

III) To sum up :

That's what comes to my mind first about choosing my new pen.

Keep in mind,

"Reliability

- Comfort

- Solidity" = my main principles.

I didn't have the time yet too highlights some pens, but I will update the thread, so don't hesitate with recommendations.

PS : The Aurora Ipsilon might be interesting.

→ Thank you ! ;)

Armand.D

Edited by Armand.D

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Armand.D

• rdh

• I.M.

• T4TEXAS

Top Posters In This Topic

Waterman Expert? It is solid, but I believe it will be heavier than your Lamy. List price is higher than your range, but you can find new ones for around $100 on Amazon.

Dave

Yes, Aurora Ipsilon is the first thing I thought when starting to read your post. I have the deluxe, which I like, but perhaps someone with the regular steel nib can comment.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

Maybe something from Faber Castell? I am a big fan of their M nib - it is the right width and wetness to make for a great everyday writer. I have the Carbon basic and the Ambition but have never encountered a FC that didn't write well for me.

Parker Sonnet - good range of prices depending on finish, not too heavy, has a good positive snap-on cap and the fine nib on mine is superby smooth.

Edited by brownargus

Favourite pens in my collection (in alpha order): Caran d'Ache Ecridor Chevron F and Leman Black/Silver F; Parker 51 Aerometric M and F; Parker 61 Insignia M, Parker Duofold Senior F; Platinum #3776 Century M; Sailor 1911 Black/Gold 21 Kt M; Sheaffer Crest Palladium M/F; Sheaffer Prelude Silver/Palladium Snakeskin Pattern F; Waterman Carene Deluxe Silver F

Yes, Aurora Ipsilon is the first thing I thought when starting to read your post. I have the deluxe, which I like, but perhaps someone with the regular steel nib can comment.

Maybe something from Faber Castell? I am a big fan of their M nib - it is the right width and wetness to make for a great everyday writer. I have the Carbon basic and the Ambition but have never encountered a FC that didn't write well for me.

Well, after some researchs I think that I will simply end with an Aurora Ipsilon.

I was hesitating with the FC Ondoro but the section appeared to me a little short as I think I have a "special" way to hold my pens..

The Aurora seems to have an overall great design + for 70€ (normal version) I even make a benefice returning my 2k.

I am just hesitating between the M and B, so T4TEXAS if you can comment about the nib feeling it would be welcomed,

Thank you !

Armand.D

Parker Sonnet - good range of prices depending on finish, not too heavy, has a good positive snap-on cap and the fine nib on mine is superby smooth.

I already have a matt black F Parker Sonnet, and even though it's not super-heavy, I found it a little too much for me.

Also the F nib a little too fine, even with my reference wet Noodler's ink..

So I am passing on it, but Thank you (and also I saw that the deluxe converters fits the aurora so that's great).

Armand.D

Waterman Expert? It is solid, but I believe it will be heavier than your Lamy. List price is higher than your range, but you can find new ones for around $100 on Amazon.

Dave

Thank you for the suggestion, I will have to look at it.

Armand.D

Maybe you can get a Visconti Rembrandt on offer somewhere?

In fact I was already looking some times ago to Visconti's but seeing their price new compared to the Aurora Ipsilon which is an other italian, unless an offer the Aurora is more attractive to me,

Thank you !

Armand.D

Dave

+1

Reading your requirements the first pen that came to my mind was the Expert. A very good pen, sadly underrated...

A lifelong FP user...

I would say, Parker 51 but you like a matte finish. Oh, how about Al star in a black matte finish

I already have a matt black Al-star :P .. but I am capricious because I don't like the feel of the glossy section & the little bump between the barrel and the section, which is less marked on my charcoal safari.

I have already thought about the P51 some times ago (~100€) but honestly now I am very attracted by the price (85€ shipped) of the Aurora Ipsilon : It struck my eyes because I have never tried any Italian pens.. and people says the nib feeling is very unique :)

Thank you for the suggestions though.

Armand.D

Edited by Armand.D

+1

Reading your requirements the first pen that came to my mind was the Expert. A very good pen, sadly underrated...

In fact I can have one new for 60€ but really the Ipsilon is more appealing me ; even if I still have to read reviews.

Thank you.

Armand.D

Sometimes you can also find a deal on a Waterman Carene (see this topic). There are lots of fans of this pen on the forum for its striking looks and unique gold nib.

Dave

I will have to look for that, thank you !

Armand.D

Edited by Armand.D