Your Thoughts

nweissma

Inks appear to be a volatile topic amongst FPN'ers.

I have a Parker 51. What do you think of http://www.jetpens.com/Sailor-STORiA-Pigment-Ink-30-ml-Bottle-Magic-Purple/pd/14150 and dye inks heuristically; do they have a reputation for harming fp's?

I have been advised to stay with Diamine because of safety concerns; nevertheless, Diamine appears to be too unsaturated and watery.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• Barkingpig

• Sandy1

• nweissma

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever told you to only use Diamine is uninformed and has kept you away from hundreds of wonderful and beautiful inks. Sailor inks are generally very safe. Look at the review section and see if a particular ink is easy to clean and fun to use.

For a purple, I love Noodler's Purple People Eater (which does not eat pens) Oh, it's just called, Purple. I'm also a fan of Kobe Panse (a Sailor ink) and I do like Diamine Imperial Purple. My favorite is a super hard to find KWZI Purple #4. Of those inks, Noodler's Purple is the easiest to clean.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I used a pen today that was inked with Diamine's Pansy (from their flower set) but now sold individually. It is a not used with great frequency &I am always pleased with the ink (both color & performance) when I use it. I haven't had a desire to use the Sailor STORIA inks because they are pigmented & from what I understand are more prone to clogging issues unless used frequently & in a pen that offers easy cleaning. I use all other Sailor inks but have just not wanted to use a pigmented ink. I am sure however that Sailor would NOT sell an ink that was unsafe for fountain pen use.

Many ink users will offer the opinion they only recommend inks made BY a manufacturer that produces BOTH ink & pens........it seems every user has their reasons for choosing what they do but you have to decide what safety level is comfortable to you. I know I had to get my nerve up after purchasing Parker Penman before I filled a pen with it. I understand the ink was withdrawn from manufacture because of clogging issues & yet I have been happy with it & suffered no ill effects. Many people must also be comfortable as well or they wouldn't be willing to pay over a $100. for a vintage bottle of the ink when available.

BarkingPig, I too like Pansy - LGSoltek discovered that it stains.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

BarkingPig, I too like Pansy - LGSoltek discovered that it stains.

I can live with it's staining since it is dedicated to a purple Montegrappa pen with a cartridge that I am syringe filling. I really like Poussiere de Lune & have it dedicated to a Yellow Omas 360. I think I have filled it 3 times & keep coming back........they are both purple but enough different that I keep refilling them both. And yet sometimes I want a little "Ink of the Witch!" I am afraid I just plain like colored inks .........from the "murkers" to the "screamers!"

Edited by Barkingpig

Hi,

Following the link lead me to a page for Sailor STORia Magic Puple [nano] pigment ink.

Nano pigment inks are a fairly recent inky innovation, so long term effects of using those inks has yet to be determined. I am impressed by achievements to date, have few qualms about using them, and am very interested in their development. The Ink Putti seem unperturbed when those inks are used.

I have found that nano pigment ink requires a different clean-up regimen from simple modest dye-load aniline dye inks, in part because of their different composition: ammonia is of little or no value as the the dye is a nano particle rather than a molecule; and water with [benign] surfactant is useful to flush the nano particles from a pen's nook and crannies.

(I am not a Chemist by any stretch of the imagination, so look forward to learning from those who know more about the chemistry of nano particle inks.)

I make special effort to ensure the pen is thoroughly cleansed prior to loading a nano ink; and relative to aniline dye inks, do a lot more flushing than soaking after using a nano ink.

Especially for 51 sacs, I consider staining is wear rather than damage, yet I take special care to avoid staining my pens with pale sections. I would be aghast if my M400 White Tortoise were to be stained, yet I am not bothered by a bit of haze on the ink window of my heavily-used Montblanc 149.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.