Survey: Favorite This, Favorite That (Part Ii)

danielpi

Survey: Favorite This, Favorite That  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite nib material?

2. 2. Favorite big fat flagship pen?

3. 3. Favorite nibmeister?

• Mike Masuyama
    • Pendleton Brown
    • John Mottishaw
    • Nagahara Yukio
    • Katsuhiko Kubo
    • Moriyama Nobuhiko
    • Richard Binder (retired)
    • Mike and Linda Kennedy
    • Other/Don't Know/None
    • Ross Adams
    • John Sorowka
  4. 4. Favorite paper?

5. 5. How much did you pay for your most expensive pen?

6. 6. How many pens do you own?

7. 7. Do you drink bottled ink?

• Yes, having some now
    • Never
    • Trying to quit
    • I have, but I quit
    • I'm on my third bottle before noon
    • Other

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielpi

• jar

• inkstainedruth

• Hallel

Why?

Why explain other? Maybe it's worth adding as an additional choice.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

Other - nibmeister.

Ross Adams form Niche Pens kindly made my medium Vanishing Point into a gorgeous H Doug esque (we are not worthy) 0.5 cursive italic. It's never missed a beat in all these years.

Than you Ross.

(I've had a couple of pens "tweaked" by the wonderful John Sorowka - he used his thumbs in a way I'd daren't on my Visconti Homo Sapiens and an old Wahl but I don't think he likes the term nibmeister . . .)

Why explain other? Maybe it's worth adding as an additional choice.

No, why the surveys? It seems much like counting "likes" (another thing I don't understand).

My Website

@jar: Really? This isn't fascinating for you? The percentage of fountain pen addicts who post or don't post their caps... it's something we talk about all the time (whether a particular model pen can post), but we haven't before had numbers to put to it.

Don't care about "likes," but I do care what the market demand is, and it's interesting how the market responds. I mean, I'm surprised anyone at all prefers the cartridge/converter over all other systems. I'm also surprised how many vac filler fans there are.

Also, the results of this poll might possibly nudge a pen-manufacturer toward making a pen that would be better loved by more people.

But mainly, it's just satisfying a curiosity. Are you really not curious about these things?

@jar: Really? This isn't fascinating for you? The percentage of fountain pen addicts who post or don't post their caps... it's something we talk about all the time (whether a particular model pen can post), but we haven't before had numbers to put to it.

Don't care about "likes," but I do care what the market demand is, and it's interesting how the market responds. I mean, I'm surprised anyone at all prefers the cartridge/converter over all other systems. I'm also surprised how many vac filler fans there are.

Also, the results of this poll might possibly nudge a pen-manufacturer toward making a pen that would be better loved by more people.

But mainly, it's just satisfying a curiosity. Are you really not curious about these things?

Yup, not in the least bit curious about the answers to the surveys but fascinated that there are people who might be.

I also understand that posting or not posting is a great example of a false dichotomy. That is also true about just about every category. In some situations one method might be preferred but change the conditions and the other might be the preferred option. In addition, actual execution plays an important part, well done is almost always better than poorly done but even that is not an absolute.

My Website

I voted "other" for "fat" pens because I don't like fat pens -- I have smallish hands.

I'll admit that I would love to know the reasons for people to vote "other" for the question about drinking ink (e.g., if anyone out there wanted to be Cruella de Ville when they grew up...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

For other Big Fat Flagship, my answer would be Pilot Custom 823, but after posting it I considered, is the Pilot 823 the flagship or is the 845 meant to be?

The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

Hello,

I think another interesting question to ask is wether people wipe ink off their nib after filling, or get annoyed by nib creep.

Speaking of drinking ink :puddle: , I've tasted, during times of boredom, Noodler's, De Atramentis (Not the booze ones!), and R+K inks. Most of them taste like soap - Ottoman Azure is the most bitter on in the lot. :)

I don't think it's surprising, given my affinity with ink, that people call me 'Squid!

Other - Nibmeister

Dan Smith did a great job on an architect point for my Pelikan M600 and fixed my overly dry Pilot Custom 74

Those who hurt me were not only someone else,

but also those who pretended not to notice. It was my friend.

For other Big Fat Flagship, my answer would be Pilot Custom 823, but after posting it I considered, is the Pilot 823 the flagship or is the 845 meant to be?

Where's the Jinhao 159? It can't get fatter and heavier than that...

Hello,

I think another interesting question to ask is wether people wipe ink off their nib after filling, or get annoyed by nib creep.

Speaking of drinking ink :puddle: , I've tasted, during times of boredom, Noodler's, De Atramentis (Not the booze ones!), and R+K inks. Most of them taste like soap - Ottoman Azure is the most bitter on in the lot. :)

I don't think it's surprising, given my affinity with ink, that people call me 'Squid!

Other - Nibmeister

Dan Smith did a great job on an architect point for my Pelikan M600 and fixed my overly dry Pilot Custom 74

Alas, the 24-hour editing period has ended, and I cannot emend the poll. But am finding the results quite interesting. I find the bell curves for the "how expensive" and "how many pens" questions very interesting. Got to love normal distributions. So, apparently, the average pen fanatic owns most likely something like 30 pens, and his/her most expensive pen is $300ish.

Fountain pen manufacturers particularly ought to take note. There's a lot of information about consumer demand here.

Nib material - mostly have steel, but have a few 14k on P45's

Fat flagship - n/a beyond budget

Paper - have several I like, Basildon Bond might be my favorite though.

Cost $50-$100

# 15-20

Ink not me but my pens do.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Alas, the 24-hour editing period has ended, and I cannot emend the poll. But am finding the results quite interesting. I find the bell curves for the "how expensive" and "how many pens" questions very interesting. Got to love normal distributions. So, apparently, the average pen fanatic owns most likely something like 30 pens, and his/her most expensive pen is $300ish.

Fountain pen manufacturers particularly ought to take note. There's a lot of information about consumer demand here.

Ironically, I have way more than thirty pens. But my most expensive one is not anything like $300....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is fascinating indeed - it's always good to have a guideline to measure how pen-crazy I am in terms of number of pens (unfortunately in the triple digits) and how much paid. The question on flagships was a hard one because I want a M1000 in the very near future but the 149 will always be the ultimate flagship pen in my imagination.

Ironically, I have way more than thirty pens. But my most expensive one is not anything like $300....

I'm the opposite end of the spectrum. I have 6-10 pens (I tend to sell or gift pens pretty regularly -- I don't like having more pens than I can use regularly), but my most expensive is $5,000 retail (I got it for about half price), and my average pen's price is probably about $700.

This is fascinating indeed - it's always good to have a guideline to measure how pen-crazy I am in terms of number of pens (unfortunately in the triple digits) and how much paid. The question on flagships was a hard one because I want a M1000 in the very near future but the 149 will always be the ultimate flagship pen in my imagination.

Then you should answer 149.

I answered, Other to nib master. I've never had any nib work performed. If I were to have nib work done I would use Ron Zorn.

I don't know how he stacks up against this crowd but I'm impressed with his knowledge