mehandiratta

img_20150920_100640-01.jpeg?w=768

The review is about a pen which was launched on Whatsapp Group of 20 members at that time and I believe was first of its kind launch for a pen. Approximately 50 odd pens were made and beleive me on this all got sold out within half an hour. So beautiful were they to look at first site. They were RAINBOW.

The Rainbow is reviewed at my blog in detail : LINK

img_20150920_104525-01.jpeg?w=768

This happens to be an ED model and the updated model with C/C mechanism is soon to be launched at ASA Pens on 23rd September.

My other review of ASA pens are as follows:

1. ASA Spear
  2. ASA Galactic
  3. ASA I-Can
  4. ASA Porus
  5. ASA Patriot
  6. ASA Viraat

Rainbow is first multicolored acrylic pen from the house of ASA Pens.

DESIGN & BUILT: 4 / 5

It’s a simple classic cigar shaped pen with rounded bottom and top. Actually nothing is much happening on the design front. it though is a small pocket sized pen. It is actually the material which is doing all the talk.

img_20150920_100941-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Swirled Acrylic Material

The pen will to begin with eventually will come in following colors when launched.

• Cherry Red (in pic above)

• Midnight Blue (Blue and Dark Blue swirls)

• Black Pearl (White and Black swirls)

• Fiery Orange (Orange and Black swirls)

The color yellow with green swirls might be added later which is being reviewed.

img_20150920_103610-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cherry Red and Yellow Swirl

To begin with what i really like about this pen is its size and girth. It is small pen but not that slim. Lovely part is the grip section which is the thinnest portion in whole pen. It’s so wonderful to grip and write with this pen.

img_20150920_102951-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Capped

img_20150920_102929-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Uncapped

img_20150920_103255-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Rounded Top and Bottom

The pen has silver trims. Actually the pen has only clip as a trim and a nib. No other metal parts were used. its a minimalistic design pen. The clip is sturdy and stiff and not springy at all. fits shirt pockets easily.

The pen cap has no breather hole unlike many other Made in India pens. The cap finial is threaded and can be taken out easily also.

img_20150920_101253-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cap View

img_20150920_103343-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cap inner View

img_20150920_102238-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Clip

Built is amazing and is well finished and polished pen. However I have to add one thing this pen is acrylic and requires maintenance and care to ensure no scratches just by throwing pen on desk or anywhere else.

Below are the few images of the pen showing comparison with other pens.

img_20150920_104818-01.jpeg?w=768

Gama Kuyil vs Pilot 78G vs ASA Rainbow

BALANCE: 5/5

I love the fact that the small pens don’t have to be necessarily slim and this really goes down well with me. And I love ASA Rainbow also because of its girth too.

Its very well balanced pen and feels amazing in your hand whether you write with cap posted or not at the back.

img_20150920_105534-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Writing Unposted

img_20150920_105516-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Writing Posted

The cap posts very securely and also posting does not add to that much heft. This one is aptly balanced pen.

NIB AND INK FILLING MECHANISM: 3.5/5

Our first feedback for this beautiful pen was to make it C/C mechanism pen because ink filled in barrel changes the color of the barrel and darkens it and thus it will be soon launched with C/C mechanism on 23rd September.

The nib on the pen in question is Fine-Medium Ambitious 35 mm nib (#6) and is chrome finish. I love the ambitious nibs of size 35 mm and 40 mm. This nib writes with welcome feedback and writes wet. I love the way it writes. The nib has got certain springiness to it.

img_20150920_102405-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit top view

img_20150920_102525-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit side view

img_20150920_102640-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit angled view

Though the upcoming pen with C/C filling mechanism will come in following nib options:

• Schmidt monotone F Nib
  • Schmidt monotone M nib
  • Schmidt monotone B nib

This pen has an eye dropper fill mechanism and hold good 3 ml of ink. The feed is made of ebonite and fitted very tight and securely. The removal of nib will require knockout block as the nib is friction fit.

img_20150920_103050-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Eye dropper fill

I recommend people to buyers is to chose pen with option of fountain pen testing at checkout which takes time but you get the pen which writes good out of the box and this facility is being given by ASA pens free of charge.

Below are the few images showing hand written review and also certain specification,

img_20150920_105607-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 1

img_20150920_105641-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 2

img_20150920_105707-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 3

Conclusion :

This is a beauty and I am sure it will outsell any other model ASA pens has launched because this pen has it all going for it when its launched in C/C mechanism. However i would not recommend using this pen as ED as the barrel gets discolored because of the ink not that the ink burps.

Go ahead save some money to buy this one. I recommend it.

Please check my BLOG for other listings.

img_20150920_100804-01.jpeg?w=768

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• truthpil

• mhguda

• Ian the Jock

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for detailed and great review of nicely looking pen. Tempting.

Edit: I couldn't find it on ASA website. I'm curious about the price :)

Thank you... yes the colors are so tempting... i feel like buying all colors...

vaibhav mehandiratta

I hesitate purchasing the Rainbow because the ASA site shows my total as $420,048.00. That seems like a lot for a pen.

ha ha ha ha ... m sure thats an error....

vaibhav mehandiratta

I think they are very expensive. For now, I'm gonna give this one a pass. Pity, it's beautiful, but compared to the Oliver F27 it's more than double the price I paid!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I think they are very expensive. For now, I'm gonna give this one a pass. Pity, it's beautiful, but compared to the Oliver F27 it's more than double the price I paid!

Oliver was old model which actually is a KIT pen.... and the thickness of acrylic rod here is also a difference.... the section of rod is thick and quality is superior for sure....

Rainbow here is completely handmade...and you should be comparing it with the Edison and other manufacturer ....

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 1 month later...

img_20150920_100640-01.jpeg?w=768

The review is about a pen which was launched on Whatsapp Group of 20 members at that time and I believe was first of its kind launch for a pen. Approximately 50 odd pens were made and beleive me on this all got sold out within half an hour. So beautiful were they to look at first site. They were RAINBOW.

The Rainbow is reviewed at my blog in detail : LINK

img_20150920_104525-01.jpeg?w=768

This happens to be an ED model and the updated model with C/C mechanism is soon to be launched at ASA Pens on 23rd September.

My other review of ASA pens are as follows:

1. ASA Spear
  2. ASA Galactic
  3. ASA I-Can
  4. ASA Porus
  5. ASA Patriot
  6. ASA Viraat

Rainbow is first multicolored acrylic pen from the house of ASA Pens.

DESIGN & BUILT: 4 / 5

It’s a simple classic cigar shaped pen with rounded bottom and top. Actually nothing is much happening on the design front. it though is a small pocket sized pen. It is actually the material which is doing all the talk.

img_20150920_100941-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Swirled Acrylic Material

The pen will to begin with eventually will come in following colors when launched.

• Cherry Red (in pic above)

• Midnight Blue (Blue and Dark Blue swirls)

• Black Pearl (White and Black swirls)

• Fiery Orange (Orange and Black swirls)

The color yellow with green swirls might be added later which is being reviewed.

img_20150920_103610-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cherry Red and Yellow Swirl

To begin with what i really like about this pen is its size and girth. It is small pen but not that slim. Lovely part is the grip section which is the thinnest portion in whole pen. It’s so wonderful to grip and write with this pen.

img_20150920_102951-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Capped

img_20150920_102929-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Uncapped

img_20150920_103255-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Rounded Top and Bottom

The pen has silver trims. Actually the pen has only clip as a trim and a nib. No other metal parts were used. its a minimalistic design pen. The clip is sturdy and stiff and not springy at all. fits shirt pockets easily.

The pen cap has no breather hole unlike many other Made in India pens. The cap finial is threaded and can be taken out easily also.

img_20150920_101253-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cap View

img_20150920_103343-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Cap inner View

img_20150920_102238-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Clip

Built is amazing and is well finished and polished pen. However I have to add one thing this pen is acrylic and requires maintenance and care to ensure no scratches just by throwing pen on desk or anywhere else.

Below are the few images of the pen showing comparison with other pens.

img_20150920_104818-01.jpeg?w=768

Gama Kuyil vs Pilot 78G vs ASA Rainbow

BALANCE: 5/5

I love the fact that the small pens don’t have to be necessarily slim and this really goes down well with me. And I love ASA Rainbow also because of its girth too.

Its very well balanced pen and feels amazing in your hand whether you write with cap posted or not at the back.

img_20150920_105534-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Writing Unposted

img_20150920_105516-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Writing Posted

The cap posts very securely and also posting does not add to that much heft. This one is aptly balanced pen.

NIB AND INK FILLING MECHANISM: 3.5/5

Our first feedback for this beautiful pen was to make it C/C mechanism pen because ink filled in barrel changes the color of the barrel and darkens it and thus it will be soon launched with C/C mechanism on 23rd September.

The nib on the pen in question is Fine-Medium Ambitious 35 mm nib (#6) and is chrome finish. I love the ambitious nibs of size 35 mm and 40 mm. This nib writes with welcome feedback and writes wet. I love the way it writes. The nib has got certain springiness to it.

img_20150920_102405-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit top view

img_20150920_102525-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit side view

img_20150920_102640-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Nib Unit angled view

Though the upcoming pen with C/C filling mechanism will come in following nib options:

• Schmidt monotone F Nib
  • Schmidt monotone M nib
  • Schmidt monotone B nib

This pen has an eye dropper fill mechanism and hold good 3 ml of ink. The feed is made of ebonite and fitted very tight and securely. The removal of nib will require knockout block as the nib is friction fit.

img_20150920_103050-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Eye dropper fill

I recommend people to buyers is to chose pen with option of fountain pen testing at checkout which takes time but you get the pen which writes good out of the box and this facility is being given by ASA pens free of charge.

Below are the few images showing hand written review and also certain specification,

img_20150920_105607-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 1

img_20150920_105641-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 2

img_20150920_105707-01.jpeg?w=768

ASA Rainbow – Page 3

Conclusion :

This is a beauty and I am sure it will outsell any other model ASA pens has launched because this pen has it all going for it when its launched in C/C mechanism. However i would not recommend using this pen as ED as the barrel gets discolored because of the ink not that the ink burps.

Go ahead save some money to buy this one. I recommend it.

Please check my BLOG for other listings.

img_20150920_100804-01.jpeg?w=768

Awesome review as always! I ordered mine yesterday in orange and black colour. Can't wait to try it!

Watches + fountain pens = heaven! :wub:

Do visit my blogs:-

Watches-http://crazyaboutwatch.blogspot.in/ (run by my friend and I)

Pens-http://crazyaboutpens.blogspot.in/

Awesome review as always! I ordered mine yesterday in orange and black colour. Can't wait to try it!

enjoy... u have taken flat top or round top

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 3 weeks later...

Vaibhav

Can you help

I know there can be a difference in each pen due to the variation in acrylic, however, the pen at Asa looks different from yours.

Yours looks to have white through it, whereas the one on the website appears not to. (the cherry one).

My kids have offered to buy me a pen for Christmas, and I was going to choose the cherry Asa rainbow, as yours knocked my socks off when I saw it, however, it was the red, white and black which "did it for me" and I wouldn't want to order and be disappointed.

I have gone as far as choosing the shape, nib size and testing but I am hesitating to finish the purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Hi Ian,

The colour of the material is Red and Black. There is also pearlescent fillers that might look like white swirlies.

I am attaching a few close up pictures of my ASA Rainbow in Cherry Swirl colour. Hope these help in your decision making.

Regards,

Prithwijitpost-125832-0-90566600-1447835050_thumb.jpg

post-125832-0-15980400-1447835029_thumb.jpg

post-125832-0-54666800-1447834985_thumb.jpg

Click here to check out my reviews

Fosfor Rajendran | ASA Santulan | Ranga Sugarcane | ASA Sniper | Fosfor Heather | ASA I-Will | Hero Glorious | ASA Azaadi | Fosfor Islander | ASA Halwa | ASA Macaw | ASA Namenlos | ASA Bheeshma

Vaibhav

Can you help

I know there can be a difference in each pen due to the variation in acrylic, however, the pen at Asa looks different from yours.

Yours looks to have white through it, whereas the one on the website appears not to. (the cherry one).

My kids have offered to buy me a pen for Christmas, and I was going to choose the cherry Asa rainbow, as yours knocked my socks off when I saw it, however, it was the red, white and black which "did it for me" and I wouldn't want to order and be disappointed.

I have gone as far as choosing the shape, nib size and testing but I am hesitating to finish the purchase.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

I am sorry for late reply,,,

As prithwijit has shown above ... the white is because of pearlescence effect...

Also you can drop a email to ASAPENS for the showing you red color pens available in stock and you can choose amongst them...

you can choose the color accordingly as there will be variation because of rod cut

vaibhav mehandiratta