@jthole: Yeah, I've read that somewhere as well. Nevertheless... it's an American company.

Absolutely true ... currently owned by Newell Rubbermaid (who also own Waterman).

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielpi

• jthole

• Lam1

• Kiaxa

Top Posters In This Topic

@jthole: Quite right. And I have stupidly listed Waterman as a French company, so... we have a problem here.

I open it up for discussion. I've always thought of Parker as an American company (even though it is headquartered in the UK), and the new resurrected Waterman as French. My reasons for this seemed compelling. Waterman is a French company with American origins, because it's headquartered in Paris, its main manufacturing is in France, and its pen lines tend to have French names. But by that reasoning, Parker should be either a British or French company.

I am clearly being inconsistent. Hmmm... problematic.

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

Nice list. I was actually just about to post a similar list and you beat me to it. I included flagships and the next step down (e.g., MB149/146, Pelikan M1000/M800, etc). It seems like a lot of brands keep the flagship sacred but explore more options on the next level down (colors, materials, etc).

The next level are also cheap enough to attract more buyers.

Thank you for this. (:

I think custom 845 for flagship is okay with pilot. The Yukari Royale and Emperor go into the Namiki brand which is a subsidiary of Pilot. So for the main line, I think 845 is okay.

There are 2 more pens in the same price category: Custom Enju and Custom Ichii. Also, there is this mostly unheard of Custom 748 (I am not sure about the first 2 digits, feel free to correct me) made of solid silver.

Edit: Just FYI, you can only edit a post for upto 48 hours of original posting, so any further edits will have to be made by a staff member.

Edited by Dhruv_Sood

There`s a bit of a discrepancy between your definition of Flagship Pen & naming a Million $$$ diamond studded limited edition pen (Aurora Diamond) a Flagship, me thinks.

There have been many threads here listing the “flagship” pens of various well known brands (see this, this, and this). I’m posting this simply to organize the information a little bit more attractively.

To be clear, I define “flagship” as follows: A “flagship” pen is a regular production model (i.e., not a limited or special edition), which is generally the largest, most expensive, and most visibly advertised item in a brand’s inventory. Where no single pen satisfies all the criteria, a judgment call may have to be made on what (if any) product is the “flagship” for a particular brand. Obviously, a brand calling one of its own products its “flagship” trumps other considerations.

Any corrections, additions, or suggestions are appreciated.

Brand Flagship Entry Level Other Notable Lines Country
Aurora Aurora 88 Ipsilon De Luxe Talentum, Alpha, Optima Italy
Caran D’Ache Léman Ecridor Varius, Madison Switzerland
Conway Stewart Churchill None Winston, Wellington, Series 100, Marlborough United Kingdom
Delta Dolce Vita Oversize Unica Many Lines Italy
Graf von Faber Castell Intuition Platino Wood (seems to have displaced the Classic) Guilloche Classic, Pen of the Year Germany
Franklin Christoph Model 19 “1901” Model 27 “Collegia” Many Individual Models United States
Lamy Lamy 2000 Safari Studio, Dialog Germany
Montblanc Meisterstück 149 “Diplomat” None Writers Edition, Great Characters Edition, Starwalker, Boheme Germany
Omas Paragon None Milord, Bologna, 360, Ogiva Italy
Parker Duofold (Centennial) Vector Sonnet, Premier, Ingenuity, Parker 51 (discontinued), P25 (discontinued) United States
Pelikan M1000 Souverän M100, M150, M200, M205, M215, M250 Classic Many Lines German
Pilot Custom 845 (Some discussion on the point ) Metropolitan Falcon, Vanishing Point, Custom 823, Justus Japan
Platinum President Preppy 3776 Series Japan
Sailor King of Pen Many Models 1911 Series, Professional Gear Japan
Sheaffer Legacy Heritage VFM Taranis, Prelude, Sagaris, 300, 100, Intensity, Ferrari United States
TWSBI Diamond Eco Classic, Vac 700, Mini, 580AL Taiwan
Visconti None (Possibly the Divina. See this and this) Classic Homo Sapiens, Opera, Van Gogh, Michelangelo Italy
Waterman Edson Charleston Carène, Exception France

There`s a bit of a discrepancy between your definition of Flagship Pen & naming a Million $$$ diamond studded limited edition pen (Aurora Diamond) a Flagship, me thinks.

Absolutely. I only know the Aurora 88, and someone said the Diamond was the flagship, and I lazily did not check that. You're right of course. The Diamond is not the flagship. Thanks.

For Cross, my favored line of pens:

Flagship: I'd say the Townsend, but I suppose there's some argument to be made that the Peerless 125 currently deserves that distinction

Entry-Level: Cross has a lot of under $50 pens, but I'd guess the first Cross pen most folks are likely to own would be a Classic Century, Century, or Century II.

Other lines currently in production (AFAIK): Apogee, ATX, Botanica, Sauvage

(I can list other lines that are still readily available but not found on the Cross website if you like.)

MrThoth

Scribe, Master of Mystic Lore, Young Curmudgeon

There have been many threads here listing the “flagship” pens of various well known brands (see this, this, and this). I’m posting this simply to organize the information a little bit more attractively.

To be clear, I define “flagship” as follows: A “flagship” pen is a regular production model (i.e., not a limited or special edition), which is generally the largest, most expensive, and most visibly advertised item in a brand’s inventory. Where no single pen satisfies all the criteria, a judgment call may have to be made on what (if any) product is the “flagship” for a particular brand. Obviously, a brand calling one of its own products its “flagship” trumps other considerations.

Any corrections, additions, or suggestions are appreciated.

Brand Flagship Entry Level Other Notable Lines Country
Aurora Aurora 88 Large Ipsilon De Luxe Talentum, Alpha, Optima Italy
Caran D’Ache Léman Ecridor Varius, Madison Switzerland
Conway Stewart Churchill None Winston, Wellington, Series 100, Marlborough United Kingdom
Cross Townsend Classic Apogee, ATX, Botanica, Sauvage United States
Delta Dolce Vita Oversize Unica Many Lines Italy
Graf von Faber Castell Intuition Platino Wood (seems to have displaced the Classic) Guilloche Classic, Pen of the Year Germany
Franklin Christoph Model 19 “1901” Model 27 “Collegia” Many Individual Models United States
Lamy Lamy 2000 Safari Studio, Dialog Germany
Montblanc Meisterstück 149 “Diplomat” None Writers Edition, Great Characters Edition, Starwalker, Boheme Germany
Omas Paragon None Milord, Bologna, 360, Ogiva Italy
Parker Duofold (Centennial) Vector Sonnet, Premier, Ingenuity, Parker 51 (discontinued), P25 (discontinued) United States
Pelikan M1000 Souverän M100, M150, M200, M205, M215, M250 Classic Many Lines German
Pilot Custom 845 (Some discussion on the point ) Metropolitan Falcon, Vanishing Point, Custom 823, Justus Japan
Platinum President Preppy 3776 Series Japan
Sailor King of Pen Many Models 1911 Series, Professional Gear Japan
Sheaffer Legacy Heritage VFM Taranis, Prelude, Sagaris, 300, 100, Intensity, Ferrari United States
TWSBI Diamond Eco Classic, Vac 700, Mini, 580AL Taiwan
Visconti None (Possibly the Divina. See this and this) Classic Homo Sapiens, Opera, Van Gogh, Michelangelo Italy
Waterman Edson Charleston Carène, Exception France