danielpi

If this be true, then my last 18K JoWo factory stub will be my last.

This is a silly comment. Who cares if they're made in Germany or China? They're excellent nibs. Does the location of a factory affect the quality of its products? Is there something magic in the waters of Germany that makes a nib otherwise produced using the same manufacturing procedures "better"?

I am not fan of China for political, cultural, and historical reasons, which I won't get into here, but there is no reason that a product produced there can't be of excellent quality. Case in point: Apple products are pretty much all assembled in China, and they are the very embodiment of quality, invariably evincing exceptional fit and finish.

First question, based upon your list above, they qualify as a Pen Manufacturer, as companies on your list include those which subcontract the work to others to make their products such as Monteverde. Second question, depending on the definition of in house as the nibs are design by Noodler's, manufacturing methods created by Noodler's (Regards to specifications, cutting and so on) but are made by a sub contractor under direction from Noodler's. So unfortunately the definition is not so clear so you need to put it clear what constitutes in-house or outside.

Okay, well, then the issue is whom the Indian nib manufacturer is. To be consistent, if Noodler is contracting out nib production to another company, then it's not in-house. Visconti and Omas (indeed, most high end pen makers) provide the nib makers specific production instructions, using materials and designs unique to that pen maker, but we should not therefore regard them as being in-house for that reason alone. So, it seems Noodler ought to count, but then we should identify the company making the nibs.

You could end up thinking that the least interesting part of most modern pens is the nib.

What does this mean?

hmm let's see here

Taccia are made by Sailor and probably JoWo however I'm not sure about the latter

Ohashido is made by Sailor

Onishi-seisakusho has Schmidt nibs

Ohto get Schmidt nibs as well

Hirai Woodworking Plant (Hirai Mokkou Banmonosho?) has Schmidt steel nibs Bock Gold nibs

Hakase still makes pens with Sailor nibs on them but for their default nibs it is indeed by Pilot

Helico has Bock nibs

Pens I'm not sure who made the nibs

Tombow

modern Essterbrook

Wahl-Eversharp could be Bock? unless completely inhouse?

Bic

Maped

Acme

I stand corrected if proved otherwise

Excellent. I'll add it to the next update. You don't happen to know who the Schmidt nibs are manufactured by, do you? Schmidt, as I understand it, does not actually manufacture nibs, but does the finishing. So it goes from manufacturer to Schmidt and then from Schmidt to the pen-maker. So, it would properly be Schmidt/Bock or Schmidt/JoWo.

Edited by danielpi

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielpi

• tryphon

• TassoBarbasso

• Bo Bo Olson

Updated: October 2, 2015

Brand Current Nib Supplier Historical Sources
Ancora In-House
Aurora In-House
Bexley JoWo Until early 2000s: Bock for gold, Schmidt/JoWo for steel
Caran D'Ache Bock
Conid Bock
Conklin JoWo
Conway Stewart Bock Pre-1920: Warranted, 1920-1975: In-House
Cross In-House and Sailor (for Peerless 125) Pelikan and Pilot
Danitrio Bock (except 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series, made by an undisclosed Japanese company JoWo
Delta Bock
Dupont Bock
Eboya Bock
Edison JoWo
Faber Castell JoWo
Graf von Faber Castell Bock
Franklin Christoph JoWo for steel, Bock and JoWo for gold Formerly all Bock (including some Schmidt branded Bock)
Goulet JoWo
Hakase Pilot (and Sailor, but mainly Pilot)
Helico Bock
Kaweco Bock
Lamy Mainly In-House; Bock for specialty nibs Exclusively Bock in the beginning
Magna Carta Bock
Montblanc In-House
Montegrappa Bock
Monteverde Bock
Ohashido Sailor
Omas Bock In-house until 2000
Parker In-House
Pelikan In-House Originally Montblanc nibs, later in-house, switched to Bock 1997, transitioned back to in-house since mid-2000s
Pilot/Namiki In-House
Platinum In-House
Romillo In-House
Sailor In-House
Sheaffer Bock In-house
Signum Bock
Stipula Bock
Stylo Art Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, and Bock
Taccia Sailor (and JoWo?)
TWSBI Bock and JoWo
Urso Bock
Visconti Bock
Waterman In-House

And organized by nib-maker:

Bock Caran D’Ache, Conid, Conway Stewart, Danitrio, Delta, Dupont, Eboya, Graf von Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Helico, Kaweco, Montegrappa, Monteverde, Omas, Sheaffer, Signum, Stipula, Stylo Art, TWSBI, Visconti
In-House Ancora, Aurora, Lamy, Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot/Namiki, Platinum, Romillo, Sailor, Waterman
JoWo Bexley, Conklin, Edison, Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Goulet, TWSBI
Pilot Hakase, Pilot/Namiki, Stylo Art
Sailor Hakase, Ohashido, Sailor, Stylo Art, Taccia

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

My opinion of new nibs is based on a fondness for old flex. I like thick-and-thin lines, shading and expression. Most modern nibs don't have much.

I heard that Montegrappa switched from Bock to JoWo

It is interesting that they don't seem to be using MB nibs. I would think it would be kind of natural.

ron

Ron: they are no longer owned by the Richemont Group: they are back with the Aquila Group. Richemont allegedly sold MonteGrappa to the Aquila Group for 1 Euro.

Edited by tryphon

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

Ron: they are no longer owned by the Richemont Group: they are back with the Aquila Group. Richemont allegedly sold MonteGrappa to the Aquila Group for 1 Euro.

Thanks. That would have been an interesting negotiation to listen in on ...

"Now, take my Montegrappa ... no, please take my Montegrappa ..."

By the way, can we get Yard-o-Led on the list?

ron

If this be true, then my last 18K JoWo factory stub will be my last.

Is it a political stand? Or is it a general prejudice against Chinese made stuff? If so along with Jowo nibs you'll have to junk most of your electronic gadgets too.

A lifelong FP user...

The Germans have learned if they build a factory in China the Chinese build an exact copy a mile away. As soon as the workers are trained, they start at the Chinese factory.

So many German factories have moved home to Germany.

China makes great cartridge MB 149's.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Is it a political stand? Or is it a general prejudice against Chinese made stuff? If so along with Jowo nibs you'll have to junk most of your electronic gadgets too.

Yes, guilty as charged.

But here on FPN, we don't talk politics or religion, or at least should not.

For me, avoiding goods manufactured in the PRC is a consumer's choice,...that's all. Nothing personal. I just survive with much less.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 5 months later...

What about Cleo-Skribent?

They make their own nibs, in-house.

Talked with them for quite some time a few years ago.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Why no mention of Chinese brands?

Some lesser known or uncommon brands to add:

Diplomat

Elysee

Rotring

Centropen

Herlitz

Schneider

Wilson (obscure lower end Italian brand)

R. Pirre Paul

Onoto (modern) uses both Bock and Schmidt (are they not the same, in fact?) for their #3 and #7 nib units.

This is confirmed by James Boddy from Onoto, who just a few days ago wrote a reply to my email (full of requests and enquiries), including the following: "Our nibs are made by Bock and our feeders and converters by Schmidt, both German companies and I believe they are the best in their field".

plumista

Edited by plumista

I have a Hero fountain pen made in China. A copy of the Parker 51/61. This pen's nib has to be made in China. It is one of my smoothest writing nibs and a delight to use. Going by this pens nib performance I would think that the Chinese can make a great nib if they wanted to.

Heck, if I had this nib in a vintage Parker 51 I would not complain.

Edited by Mangrove Jack

• 8 months later...

I think Pelikan switched to Bock around 2000. Because you could find two variations of Gaudi nib, both two chicks but one with PF mark and one without.

The first 'wider' 800 nib(800 nib with two chicks but no pf mark is wider than marked ones) appeared in Japanese import catalogue in their 2000 one when Pelikan introduced red strip M800.

• 6 months later...

Taccia are made by Sailor and probably JoWo however I'm not sure about the latter

My Taccia Staccato has a Jowo nib in a Jowo screw-in assembly.

Is this pinned? It should be.

I am biased towards in-house nibs and this list comes in handy!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang