• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielpi

• tryphon

• TassoBarbasso

• Bo Bo Olson

For reference, here is a list of pen manufacturers and who supplies their nibs. I've gathered this from a lot of different sources (including older posts in FPN forums). I'll update and correct the list as I come across new data. There have been several earlier attempts to organize this information on FPN, but hopefully this is a bit more organized/centralized.

For the record, I am aware (and should caution readers who are not) that not all Bock or JoWo nibs are the same. The mere fact that, e.g., Visconti and Omas both use "Bock manufactured nibs" does not mean, ipso facto, that they use the "same nib." In that particular case, the nibs are very different.

Also, it is worth dispelling the mistaken notion that in-house nibs are “better” than Bock or JoWo nibs. This is patently untrue. Most high end pen-makers will do a lot of finishing after receiving pens from Bock or JoWo, which are already made to their unique specifications at the factory; they are merely taking advantage of the economies of scale offered by a dedicated nib manufacturer (the "artistry" of smoothing and finishing that give a brand's pens their unique "feel" is almost always done in-house by all pen-makers).

That said, it is sometimes interesting who makes the nibs for whom, and to that end, I present the following list.

Brand Current Nib Supplier Historical Sources
Ancora In-House
Aurora In-House
Bexley JoWo Until early 2000s: Bock for gold, Schmidt/JoWo for steel
Caran D'Ache Bock
Conid Bock
Conklin JoWo
Conway Stewart Bock Pre-1920: Warranted, 1920-1975: In-House
Cross In-House and Sailor (for Peerless 125) Pelikan and Pilot
Danitrio Bock (except 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series, made by an undisclosed Japanese company JoWo
Delta Bock
Dupont Bock
Eboya Bock
Edison JoWo
Faber Castell JoWo
Graf von Faber Castell Bock
Franklin Christoph JoWo for steel, Bock and JoWo for gold Formerly all Bock (including some Schmidt branded Bock)
Goulet JoWo
Hakase Pilot Pilot and Sailor
Kaweco Bock
Lamy Mainly In-House; Bock for specialty nibs Exclusively Bock in the beginning
Magna Carta Bock
Montblanc In-House
Montegrappa Bock
Monteverde Bock
Omas Bock In-house until 2000
Parker In-House
Pelikan In-House Originally Montblanc nibs, later in-house, switched to Bock 1997, transitioned back to in-house since mid-2000s
Pilot/Namiki In-House
Platinum In-House
Romillo In-House
Sailor In-House
Sheaffer Bock In-house
Signum Bock
Stipula Bock
Stylo Art Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, and Bock
TWSBI Bock and JoWo
Urso Bock
Visconti Bock
Waterman In-House

And organized by nib-maker:

Bock Caran D’Ache, Conid, Conway Stewart, Danitrio, Delta, Dupont, Eboya, Graf von Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Kaweco, Montegrappa, Monteverde, Omas, Sheaffer, Signum, Stipula, Stylo Art, TWSBI, Visconti
In-House Ancora, Aurora, Lamy, Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot/Namiki, Platinum, Romillo, Sailor, Waterman
JoWo Bexley, Conklin, Edison, Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Goulet, TWSBI
Pilot Hakase, Pilot/Namiki, Stylo Art
Sailor Sailor, Stylo Art

If you have any additions or corrections, please include a link to where you found your info. Thanks!

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

Omas?

About Noodler's, I dont think they produce nibs, as they do not even produce pens.....

Noodler's pens are manufactured by various Indian Manufacturers for the different parts. These is not 1 single manufacturer of Noodler's pen as various parts are made from different manufacturers and are assembled by an Indian Manufacturer. Some of these parts are supplied by Noodler's which are sourced from US and other international companies. (O Rings are from the USA and so are certain dyes for ebonite colors) Final Quality control is done by Nathan himself in his house.

Huh. I thought I did Omas, but I guess I copied over it while making the table. It's been a bit of a pain getting the table to work. Added it again. Thanks for that.

As for Noodlers... uh, yeah, they do produce pens. They have been for the past couple years. You've never heard of the Ahab? It's been big news.

Noodler's pens are not adapted from Indian Pen Designs but from Historic Designs. In fact, I do know that some Indian manufacturers do copy Noodler's design or worst. (I am not at liberty to go into detail) The nib is made by an Indian Manufacturer exclusively for Noodlers under the design and specification of Nathan. And there are a few different nib design for the various pens. I don't think I need to go into detail. Let me know if more clarification is needed.

From The Sunny Island of Singapore

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

The Visconti Bock relationship is much deeper than just pen maker and supplier, especially for Visconti's palladium nibs.

As I understand it the design and manufacturing process of the nibs Bock makes and supplies to Visconti are actually a kind of joint venture, cross-pollination sort of arrangement. In addition, Visconti provides consulting and nib design services for Bock. Or so I have been told.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

...........since JoWo nibs, according to some people are rumored to be made in China and distributed from a warehouse in Germany..

Just curious, where did this information come from? I was under the impression that the JoWo gold nibs are made in Berlin, Germany.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Noodler's pens are manufactured by various Indian Manufacturers for the different parts. These is not 1 single manufacturer of Noodler's pen as various parts are made from different manufacturers and are assembled by an Indian Manufacturer. Some of these parts are supplied by Noodler's which are sourced from US and other international companies. (O Rings are from the USA and so are certain dyes for ebonite colors) Final Quality control is done by Nathan himself in his house.

Noodler's pens are not adapted from Indian Pen Designs but from Historic Designs. In fact, I do know that some Indian manufacturers do copy Noodler's design or worst. (I am not at liberty to go into detail) The nib is made by an Indian Manufacturer exclusively for Noodlers under the design and specification of Nathan. And there are a few different nib design for the various pens. I don't think I need to go into detail. Let me know if more clarification is needed.

This is also what I was given to believe, but there was some controversy on the point, so I just removed Noodler's from the list. If you can find something authoritative to cite, then I will put Noodler's back on the list.

Just curious, where did this information come from? I was under the impression that the JoWo gold nibs are made in Berlin, Germany.

Same. I never heard JoWo made anything in China, although given the cost of manufacturing there, it would probably be smart to do, there is a pedigree (deserved or not) about being made in Germany, which may be worth more than the savings of moving operations to China.

From pen manufacturers who were offered JoWo nibs by the official JoWo reps.

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....

This is also what I was given to believe, but there was some controversy on the point, so I just removed Noodler's from the list. If you can find something authoritative to cite, then I will put Noodler's back on the list.

Same. I never heard JoWo made anything in China, although given the cost of manufacturing there, it would probably be smart to do, there is a pedigree (deserved or not) about being made in Germany, which may be worth more than the savings of moving operations to China.

What sort of Authoritative on Noodler's Nibs do you want to get. On what facts exactly.

Straits Pen Distributors and Dealers of Craft Rinkul, JB Perfect Pen Flush, Ohto Japan, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot Pen, Private Reserve Inks, Schrade Tactical Pens, Smith & Wesson Pens, Noodler's Ink LLC Pens, TWSBI Inc and Waterman in Singapore

Disclosure: I do nib work for others and am affiliated with those which do. I also sell and represent certain brands of pens.

In India.. There are a number of small nib manufacturers... Mainly untipped nibs... Hence I guess the preference for nibs with "IPG" stamped on them... Whether these stand scrutiny I wouldn't hazard a guess... But this small scale manufacture has been in place for quite sometime... Information gleaned from various comments and uploads on FPN

What sort of Authoritative on Noodler's Nibs do you want to get. On what facts exactly.

Well, the points in dispute are (1) whether Noodler should be regarded as a pen maker at all, or whether they are simply rebranding an existing product; and if so, then (2) whether they ought to be counted as "in house" nibs, or whether we should list some Indian company...

From pen manufacturers who were offered JoWo nibs by the official JoWo reps.

If this be true, then my last 18K JoWo factory stub will be my last.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Tinta, I am just reporting a rumor. I have a friend who is absolutely positive that they are made in Germany, and he is a nib expert. I also have friends (plural) who own pen companies who told me that the JoWo nibs are made in China. I have looked at the JoWo nibs in a couple of pens and I also think they look like some Chinese nibs I own. By the way, being in the pen business myself, I have literally thousands of nibs, mostly by Bock of Germany. I asked on another forum if anyone has ever seen the JoWo nib factory, and nobody replied. Many have seen the JoWo office, on the second floor of a small building, but it has no room for any manufacturing. It is a bit of a mystery...

In punta di penna.....

Could JoWo nibs be in fact made by Bock under contract?

NO. They are fierce competitors. In addition, the shape of the nib and the shape of the pellet are different. In truth, the JoWo nibs look a lot like some Chinese nibs I have. I will try and take pictures comparing them.

Edited by tryphon

In punta di penna.....

Having ground many nibs, whether JOWO is German or Chinese made, I think they are higher quality. I will also add I like the quality of Nemosine, a $7 steel nib for grinding purposes.

President, Big Apple Pen Club

Follow us on Instagram @big_apple_pen_club

"Let other pens dwell on guilt and misery."

J.J. Lax Pen Co.

www.jjlaxpenco.comOn Instagram: @jjlaxpenco

Well, the points in dispute are (1) whether Noodler should be regarded as a pen maker at all, or whether they are simply rebranding an existing product; and if so, then (2) whether they ought to be counted as "in house" nibs, or whether we should list some Indian company...

First question, based upon your list above, they qualify as a Pen Manufacturer, as companies on your list include those which subcontract the work to others to make their products such as Monteverde. Second question, depending on the definition of in house as the nibs are design by Noodler's, manufacturing methods created by Noodler's (Regards to specifications, cutting and so on) but are made by a sub contractor under direction from Noodler's. So unfortunately the definition is not so clear so you need to put it clear what constitutes in-house or outside.

Having ground many nibs, whether JOWO is German or Chinese made, I think they are higher quality. I will also add I like the quality of Nemosine, a $7 steel nib for grinding purposes.

I agree. They are good nibs.

In punta di penna.....

hmm let's see here

Taccia are made by Sailor and probably JoWo however I'm not sure about the latter

Ohashido is made by Sailor

Onishi-seisakusho has Schmidt nibs

Ohto get Schmidt nibs as well

Hirai Woodworking Plant (Hirai Mokkou Banmonosho?) has Schmidt steel nibs Bock Gold nibs

Hakase still makes pens with Sailor nibs on them but for their default nibs it is indeed by Pilot

Helico has Bock nibs

Pens I'm not sure who made the nibs

Tombow

modern Essterbrook

Wahl-Eversharp could be Bock? unless completely inhouse?

Bic

Maped

Acme

I stand corrected if proved otherwise

Edited by Algester

You could end up thinking that the least interesting part of most modern pens is the nib.

That's probably too true for a lot of modern pens.