danielpi

For reference, here is a list of pen manufacturers and who supplies their nibs. I've gathered this from a lot of different sources (including older posts in FPN forums). I'll update and correct the list as I come across new data. There have been several earlier attempts to organize this information on FPN, but hopefully this is a bit more organized/centralized.

For the record, I am aware (and should caution readers who are not) that not all Bock or JoWo nibs are the same. The mere fact that, e.g., Visconti and Omas both use "Bock manufactured nibs" does not mean, ipso facto, that they use the "same nib." In that particular case, the nibs are very different.

Also, it is worth dispelling the mistaken notion that in-house nibs are “better” than Bock or JoWo nibs. This is patently untrue. Most high end pen-makers will do a lot of finishing after receiving pens from Bock or JoWo, which are already made to their unique specifications at the factory; they are merely taking advantage of the economies of scale offered by a dedicated nib manufacturer (the "artistry" of smoothing and finishing that give a brand's pens their unique "feel" is almost always done in-house by all pen-makers).

That said, it is sometimes interesting who makes the nibs for whom, and to that end, I present the following list.

Updated June 3, 2017.

Organized by pen-maker: 

Brand

Current Nib Supplier

Historical Sources

Ancora

In-House

Aurora

In-House

Bexley

JoWo

Until early 2000s: Bock for gold, Schmidt/JoWo for steel

Caran D'Ache

Bock

Cleo-Skribent

Bock

Conid

Bock

Conklin

JoWo

Conway Stewart

Bock

Pre-1920: Warranted, 1920-1975: In-House

Cross

In-House and Sailor (only for Peerless 125)

Pelikan and Pilot

Danitrio

Bock (except 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series, made by an undisclosed Japanese company

JoWo

Delta

Bock

Diplomat

Bock

Dupont

Bock

Eboya

Bock

Edison

JoWo

Elysee

Bock (finishing by SP Dupont?)

Faber Castell

JoWo

Graf von Faber Castell

Bock

Franklin Christoph

JoWo for steel, Bock and JoWo for gold

Formerly all Bock (including some Schmidt branded Bock)

Goulet

JoWo

Hakase

Pilot (and Sailor, but mainly Pilot)

Helico

Bock

Karas Kustoms

Bock

Kaweco

Bock

Lamy

Mainly In-House; Bock for specialty nibs

Exclusively Bock in the beginning

Magna Carta

Bock

Montblanc

In-House

Montegrappa

Bock

Monteverde

Bock

Ohashido

Sailor

Omas

Bock

In-house until 2000

Onoto

Bock

Parker

In-House

Pelikan

In-House

Originally Montblanc nibs, later in-house, switched to Bock 1997, transitioned back to in-house since mid-2000s

Pilot/Namiki

In-House

Platinum

In-House

Romillo

In-House

Sailor

In-House

Sheaffer

Bock

In-house

Signum

Bock

Stipula

Bock

Stylo Art

Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, and Bock

Taccia

Sailor and JoWo

TWSBI

Bock and JoWo

Urso

Bock

Visconti

Bock

Waterman

In-House

Yard-o-Led

Bock

And organized by nib-maker: 

Bock

Caran D'Ache, Cleo Skribent, Conid, Conway Stewart, Danitrio, Delta, Diplomat, Dupont, Eboya, Elysee, Graf von Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Helico, Kaweco, Karas Kustoms, Montegrappa, Monteverde, Omas, Onoto, Sheaffer, Signum, Stipula, Stylo Art, TWSBI, Visconti, Yard-o-Led

In-House

Ancora, Aurora, Lamy, Montblanc, Parker, Pelikan, Pilot/Namiki, Platinum, Romillo, Sailor, Waterman

JoWo

Bexley, Conklin, Edison, Faber Castell, Franklin Christoph, Goulet, Taccia, TWSBI

Pilot

Hakase, Pilot/Namiki, Stylo Art

Sailor

Hakase, Ohashido, Sailor, Stylo Art, Taccia

If you have any additions or corrections, please include a link to where you found your info. Thanks! Edited by RMN

http://i712.photobucket.com/albums/ww128/danielpi/POTY-2006-Pen_zpsmhccbtxj.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• danielpi

• tryphon

• TassoBarbasso

• mke

Omas?

About Noodler's, I dont think they produce nibs, as they do not even produce pens.....

Edited by fabri00

Omas?

About Noodler's, I dont think they produce nibs, as they do not even produce pens.....

Huh. I thought I did Omas, but I guess I copied over it while making the table. It's been a bit of a pain getting the table to work. Added it again. Thanks for that.

As for Noodlers... uh, yeah, they do produce pens. They have been for the past couple years. You've never heard of the Ahab? It's been big news.

Edited by danielpi

I don't think ST Dupont makes their own nibs.

Noodler's does not make any pens or nibs. IIRC they rebrand an Indian made pen.

Bock owns Schmidt.

Okay, I dug around a bit, and it seems you're right. Dupont gets their nibs from Bock. Or at least some of them. I've updated the table accordingly. Thanks.

Noodler's pens are manufactured in India. I don't believe it's a rebranding of an existing model, however. And I don't think their nibs come from JoWo or Bock (or any other manufacturer). I admit, I had trouble getting any detailed information here. Some additional clarification on the source of Noodler's nibs seems to be needed...

Schmidt seems to be in the business of finishing nibs. They have historically finished nibs either from JoWo or Bock. I don't know if they're owned by Bock, but on the list, I think I've basically counted them as Bock, so it's a moot point.

Well. Noodler's may not equip their pens with Bock or JoWo nibs. But, thanks to Goulet Pens (et al), it is very easy to change out the nibs for JoWo # 6 nibs, where they will fit. Yes, I did it to all of my Ahabs and Konrads.

As for Conklin pens, I have several Conklins and the nibs may be made by JoWo. But they are quite different from the Goulet Pens JoWo nibs I buy. Not that they are any less, just not quite the same. And my Conklins are happy to take a JoWo nib from a pen shop. This case also applies to the TWSBI's I have bought.

Interesting, enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Danitrio is much more complicated. Many of the early pens had JoWo nibs. The current nibs (with fireball imprint) are Bock execpt the 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series which are made by an undisclosed company in Japan.

Conway Stewart were in-house until the original company went under in 1975. (Although it is unclear towards the end whether they made their own nibs).

Here is some more info

Signum use Bock nibs

Eboya uses Bock nibs

Stylo Art uses Platinum, Pilot, Sailor, and Bock nibs.

Hakase has used both Sailor and Pilot nibs and feeds. I think they currently are Pilot nibs but I haven't checked recently.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Noodler's pens are manufactured in India. I don't believe it's a rebranding of an existing model, however. And I don't think their nibs come from JoWo or Bock (or any other manufacturer). I admit, I had trouble getting any detailed information here. Some additional clarification on the source of Noodler's nibs seems to be needed.

There are not only jowo or bock as nib manufacturer: in Asia other companies makes nib.

The nibs of noodlers are produced from somebody in asia. Fountain pen revolution sell same nibs unbranded.

Noodlers pens are a rebrandinh of existing pens, with very minor changes like the clip.

There are not only jowo or bock as nib manufacturer: in Asia other companies makes nib.

The nibs of noodlers are produced from somebody in asia. Fountain pen revolution sell same nibs unbranded.

Noodlers pens are a rebrandinh of existing pens, with very minor changes like the clip.

I believe this comment is correct re Noodler's pens:they are made in India, and adapted from existing designs. I don't know where Noodler's get their nibs from, but they are quite different from the nibs supplied by Fountain Pen Revolution. FP Revolution nibs are definitely made by Indian manufacturers - the #5 nibs sourced from a different maker than the #5.5,with the latter a significant step up in quality.

Danitrio is much more complicated. Many of the early pens had JoWo nibs. The current nibs (with fireball imprint) are Bock execpt the 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series which are made by an undisclosed company in Japan.

Conway Stewart were in-house until the original company went under in 1975. (Although it is unclear towards the end whether they made their own nibs).

Here is some more info

Signum use Bock nibs

Eboya uses Bock nibs

Stylo Art uses Platinum, Pilot, Sailor, and Bock nibs.

Hakase has used both Sailor and Pilot nibs and feeds. I think they currently are Pilot nibs but I haven't checked recently.

This is great information. I'll update the table accordingly. Right now the editor seems to be site software out and won't let me edit the post, but as soon as that gets fixed, I'll add your info. Thanks.

In the pelikan entry under historical, their initial nibs were supplied by Montblanc.

Is this true? That's interesting. I'll need to verify that. Thank you very much.

I believe this comment is correct re Noodler's pens:they are made in India, and adapted from existing designs. I don't know where Noodler's get their nibs from, but they are quite different from the nibs supplied by Fountain Pen Revolution. FP Revolution nibs are definitely made by Indian manufacturers - the #5 nibs sourced from a different maker than the #5.5,with the latter a significant step up in quality.

Yeah, okay. I think I'd better just remove Noodler, unless one of you can find the name of the Asian nib supplier.

One of the nibs sold from fpr look to me the same of noodlers ahab and conrad.

In the pelikan entry under historical, their initial nibs were supplied by Montblanc.

Do I remember correctly that Pelikan subsequently decided to outsource their nibs, didn't like the result, and pulled nib-making in-house again a few years ago?

ron

For reference, here is a list of pen manufacturers and who supplies their nibs. I've gathered this from a lot of different sources (including older posts in FPN forums). I'll update and correct the list as I come across new data. There have been several earlier attempts to organize this information on FPN, but hopefully this is a bit more organized/centralized.

For the record, I am aware (and should caution readers who are not) that not all Bock or JoWo nibs are the same. The mere fact that, e.g., Visconti and Omas both use "Bock manufactured nibs" does not mean, ipso facto, that they use the "same nib." In that particular case, the nibs are very different.

Also, it is worth dispelling the mistaken notion that in-house nibs are “better” than Bock or JoWo nibs. This is patently untrue. Most high end pen-makers will do a lot of finishing after receiving pens from Bock or JoWo, which are already made to their unique specifications at the factory; they are merely taking advantage of the economies of scale offered by a dedicated nib manufacturer (the "artistry" of smoothing and finishing that give a brand's pens their unique "feel" is almost always done in-house by all pen-makers).

That said, it is sometimes interesting who makes the nibs for whom, and to that end, I present the following list.

Brand Current Nib Supplier Historical Sources
Ancora In-House
Aurora In-House
Bexley JoWo Until early 2000s: Bock for gold, Schmidt/JoWo for steel
Caran D'Ache Bock
Conid Bock
Conklin JoWo
Conway Stewart Bock Pre-1920: Warranted, 1920-1975: In-House
Danitrio Bock (except 24k #50 sized nib on the Yokozuna series, made by an undisclosed Japanese company JoWo
Delta Bock
Dupont Bock
Eboya Bock
Edison JoWo
Faber Castell JoWo
Graf von Faber Castell Bock
Franklin Christoph JoWo for steel, Bock and JoWo for gold Formerly all Bock (including some Schmidt branded Bock)
Goulet JoWo
Hakase Pilot Pilot and Sailor
Kaweco Bock
Lamy Mainly In-House; Bock for specialty nibs Exclusively Bock in the beginning
Montblanc In-House
Montegrappa Bock
Monteverde Bock
Omas Bock In-house until 2000
Parker In-House
Pelikan In-House Originally Montblanc nibs, later in-house, switched to Bock 1997, transitioned back to in-house since mid-2000s
Pilot/Namiki In-House
Platinum In-House
Romillo In-House
Sailor In-House
Sheaffer Bock In-house
Eboya Bock
Signum Bock
Stylo Art Sailor, Platinum, Pilot, and Bock
TWSBI Bock and JoWo
Visconti Bock
Waterman In-House

Interestingly, of the 36 brands listed, 55.5% use Bock nibs, 30.5% make their nibs in-house, 19.4% use JoWo nibs, and 13.8% use a Japanese nib-maker (i.e., Pilot, Sailor, or Platinum). Note that the numbers don't add up to 100%, because some pen-makers use more than one source.

If you have any additions or corrections, please include a link to where you found your info. Thanks!

@tryphon

First, thanks.

Second, Schmidt generally does finishing/smoothing of JoWo or Bock nibs. I don't believe they produce their own nibs. Do you know, in the case of Columbus or FILCAO whether the nibs are Schmidt finished Bock or JoWo?

Cross make all their nibs in house, except for their new peerless 125 which sailor supplies the nibs for. Historically pelikan and pilot supplied the nibs.

@tryphon

First, thanks.

Second, Schmidt generally does finishing/smoothing of JoWo or Bock nibs. I don't believe they produce their own nibs. Do you know, in the case of Columbus or FILCAO whether the nibs are Schmidt finished Bock or JoWo?

They would not be JoWo, since JoWo nibs, according to some people are rumored to be made in China and distributed from a warehouse in Germany.

Schmidt nibs used to be different from Bock nibs. The ones I have are definitely not Bocks. If things have changed recently (and it is quite possible), I can't tell.

BTW in India you have "Ambitious" and at least another nib manufacturer (and possibly Luxor), in Taiwan you have at least one nib maker and in China you have many more. In Spain you have Inoxcrom.

Edited by tryphon

http://s26.postimg.org/fp30mhy6x/signature.jpg

In punta di penna.....