Replacing Clip On Sheaffer Targa

ink

Is it a lot of trouble to replace the clip on a Sheaffer Targa? Do I need to send it to someone with awesome technical skills, or is this something a relatively novice and not particularly "handy" person could do?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ink

• kirchh

• Ron Z

• mariom

Top Posters In This Topic

The cap top, and thus the clip, are secured by a screw that passes upwards from inside the cap shell. Access to that screw is blocked by the plastic inner cap, which itself is retained by the spring-fingered metal clutch. The clutch is secured by adhesive (a form of cyanoacrylate, IIRC). Therefore, the clutch needs to be removed to get to that screw; this can be difficult to do without damaging the clutch (I think I made a tool or two for the purpose). Some repairpersons have replacement clutches.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Most of the time the clutch is damaged when removing it, and ends up needing to be replaced. It is rather thin compared to say the 51 cap clutch, and bends and distorts easily. I have clutches and inner caps to do the work, but not for sale.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The clutch is secured by adhesive (a form of cyanoacrylate dimethacrylate, IIRC).

Thanks to Ron for the correction.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

• 7 months later...

I've found a solution to this problem, almost by accident.

I recently got a new Targa with the clip bent out at about 30 degrees to the cap. I eased it back in as far as it would go, but it still wasn't sitting properly. I could see the retaining screw through the inner cap, and a search led me to this thread. I decided there was nothing to be done about it short of finding a new cap.

Ever the handyman, my brother, who was with me at the time, started fiddling with the finial at the top of the cap and unscrewed it enough to loosen it. With no way to get a screwdriver into the screw through the inner cap, it was now spinning freely, but could not be further tightened or loosened. With nothing to lose I decided to try holding the screw in place by pushing the end of the inner cap up against it (much like securing the inner cap on a Parker 51 when screwing in the top retaining screw). I put the rounded end of a Bic Crystal ballpoint into the inner cap and held it there tightly while I unscrewed the top finial. I was then able to remove and straighten the clip (the inner cap needs to be pushed down to enable the clip to be maneuvered out), and used the same process to get it back on and secure the top finial and clip.

I can see some risks with this method. The inner cap could be damaged, or pushed into a position too far up to seal the nib. Couldn't do anything about the first and had to risk it. Addressed the second by looping a rubber band over the end of a pencil and pushing it into the inner cap. It grips the inner cap tightly enough that you can pull it back down inside the cap, and capping the pen should then push it back into the correct position.

Worked for me. YMMV.

Edited by mariom
=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

• 1 year later...

Thank you YMMV:

His description worked to a T with my Targa. Followed directions and worked well (used the pencil eraser/rubber band). used a separate rubber band to remove the cap (was slippery without it) only using hand force. I gently pushed down on screw end to lower inner cap and remove the clip. After the clip was put back, I pushed up on the screw with the rubber/pencil device and screwed top back.

Again, Thank you Mariom.

Gabriel A

...capping the pen should then push it back into the correct position

I just saw this. No, that won't do it. The inner cap is only about 3/8" long, and its purpose is to seal the inside end so that air doesn't get in around the clip etc. not to seal around the nib down the clutch ring. It should be pushed all of the way to the end of the cap. Use a pencil or dowel to push it into place. If you depend on capping the pen to do it, you are depending on the tip of the nib pushing the inner cap back into position, which could damage the nib.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 3 years later...
On 5/1/2016 at 6:40 AM, mariom said:

I've found a solution to this problem, almost by accident.

I recently got a new Targa with the clip bent out at about 30 degrees to the cap. I eased it back in as far as it would go, but it still wasn't sitting properly. I could see the retaining screw through the inner cap, and a search led me to this thread. I decided there was nothing to be done about it short of finding a new cap.

Ever the handyman, my brother, who was with me at the time, started fiddling with the finial at the top of the cap and unscrewed it enough to loosen it. With no way to get a screwdriver into the screw through the inner cap, it was now spinning freely, but could not be further tightened or loosened. With nothing to lose I decided to try holding the screw in place by pushing the end of the inner cap up against it (much like securing the inner cap on a Parker 51 when screwing in the top retaining screw). I put the rounded end of a Bic Crystal ballpoint into the inner cap and held it there tightly while I unscrewed the top finial. I was then able to remove and straighten the clip (the inner cap needs to be pushed down to enable the clip to be maneuvered out), and used the same process to get it back on and secure the top finial and clip.

I can see some risks with this method. The inner cap could be damaged, or pushed into a position too far up to seal the nib. Couldn't do anything about the first and had to risk it. Addressed the second by looping a rubber band over the end of a pencil and pushing it into the inner cap. It grips the inner cap tightly enough that you can pull it back down inside the cap, and capping the pen should then push it back into the correct position.

Worked for me. YMMV.

I have a Targa with a loose clip and followed your suggestion. Perfect! Thank you sir for sharing.