Please Recommend Me A Fine And Lightweight Fountain Pen.

JoeB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeB

• Erik Dalton

• Algester

• subbu68

Thanks Steven,

You're very right..It kinda drives me crazy... I was thinking that too, but it seems like it will take very long time to send the pen, adjust it, and get it back again.. How long does it usually take for you when Michael regrinds your nibs?

It took a couple of months for Mike to grind my nibs but I was in no hurry since I have a huge collection of fountain pens and presently have some twenty pens inked. Many on these nibmeister do have expedited service that you pay extra for and thus you can get your pen back fast, so check out their web sites. Google Mike-it-Work and also search on this web site for other nibmeister. It is well worth finding one. It is the only way to get your cake and eat it too.

A great cheap, light weight fountain pen, costing about $5.00, that lays down a wonderfully smooth line is the Platinum Preppy with extra fine 02 nib. Get it from Goulet Pens and have them convert your pen to an eyedropper fill for you. They will do this by adding an o-ring and applying silicone grease to the threads for an extra $2 upcharge. This pen will hold a shocking amount of ink (around 3.5 ml) and then you use this pen while you send off your Lamy 2000 to be modified. Who knows you just might like this pen so much that you'll never go back. Preppy also comes in a fine (03) nib and for the money you can get both to see which size you prefer.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I own both a Pilot CH92, in blue, and a 74. I bought the 92 with a fine medium nib and found this a bit "thick" for my liking. I have since bought a 74 with a soft fine nib, I have swapped out the soft fine into the 92 and what a pen it has become.

I also have to say I enjoy the 74 much more now with the the fine medium nib.

The problem with buying online, you can not try before you buy.

I purchased both pens online out of Japan, great service from each vendor.

The soft fine is not a nib option in the 92.

Overall I prefer the 92 to the 74. Good luck with your hunt.

Greg

Edited by inkeverywhere

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

not discussed much here in FPN is Pilot Celemo. $50, very light, 14k nib. got mine from e-bay (E-Sell-jp). Comes with a converter. It is one of my best writer. Unfortunately I got a M nib thinking Pilot steel and gold nibs are same line thickness. There is a review somewhere.

Regards

Subramoniam

Just weighed in my Celemo with the converter fitted. 14gm. And Pelikan M200 demonstrator (Cognac) with full ink - 15gm!!!

Regards

Subramoniam

Thanks for the recommandations,

I will check them out! I seem not to be able to find Gateway Belmont tho..

You mean Gate City Belmont? One with an EF nib would work well, I think. I have several.

Indy-Pen-Dance sells them now.

The Tombow Carbon Fiber Zoom 101 will astound you with its featherweight. Whether you like holding its smooth surface is another matter, but it's really amazing how light it is.

No signature. I'm boring that way.

My math pen is the TWSBi ECO in F nib inked with Waterman Serenity Blue.

Copes well with sub/superscripts, symbols and what not on ordinary decent quality everyday writing paper. In particular I find the combo works very well on Silvine carbon neutral A4 refill pads which I got quite affordably off Amazon (UK). Smooth, no feathering, no bleed through, can write on both sides with no issues. For annotations, quick graph sketches, etc I am using Pilot penmanship (very fine needle tip) with Diamine Syrah. Not for the

For quick scribbling on cheap supermarket "so bad it should be illegal" copy paper I use a Pilot 78g Medium with Diamine Onyx Black. It's what I carry in an A4 'conference pad' and take out on buses, trains, etc. If it breaks/gets lost I will get another one.

As some are before me suggested Sailor with fine nib. I have a Sapporo with fine nib. Comparing a Sailor fine nib to a PArker fine nib, its like differences between fine and medium. Even with a small Sailor cartridge I can write a lot and easily refill the cartridge with any ink I like.

To me, the best suggestion is a Pilot Custom 823. Huge ink capacity, find nib, light weight and perfect balance. But expensive. A good alternate would be the Platinum Century 3776. Light weight good balance and a wonderfully smooth nib. Potential drawback are the proprietary cartridges, but the cartridges hold a good bit of ink and the cap prevents dry-out. I purchased mine for less than $100 on Amazon.

Thanks for the help,

Custom 823 is out of my price range for now.. maybe in the future.. haha

Which nib do you have on Platinum Century 3776? I'm torn between Custom Heritage 92 and Platinum Century 3776 now.

You could try a Platinum Century 3776. They are about the same size as the Lamy 2000 and weight about 14g uncapped (about 3g less than the Lamy 2K, also uncapped). Their nibs are amazingly good (basically the same nibs used in the much more expensive Nakayas) and they are readily available for about $80 at Amazon and many other sellers, making them the best value out there. If you like fine nibs, they do it: the reported width of their fine nibs is 0.28mm (vs. 0.35 mm for Pilot) - and you can have either the regular fine or the soft fine. They also have the slip and seal mechanism that prevents them from drying out and the Chartres Blue or Bourgogne red are very beautiful pens (but if you like black, they also have it).

With the money left from your budget you can send that Lamy to a nibmeister ;).

Edited to add: I only saw Jameswatts post after I posted this, and I agree about the balance of the 3776 too.

Thanks Lam1,

I'm now torn between Custom Heritage 92 and Platinum Century 3776. Do you have any of these by any chance?

Pilot CH 91 has soft nibs option SF, SFM, SM

same goes to its cousin the C74 which has more nibbage with Cosu, Music added to the mix

Thanks! I'm torn between Custom Heritage 92 and Platinum Century 3776 now. Also, fine vs soft fine..

It took a couple of months for Mike to grind my nibs but I was in no hurry since I have a huge collection of fountain pens and presently have some twenty pens inked. Many on these nibmeister do have expedited service that you pay extra for and thus you can get your pen back fast, so check out their web sites. Google Mike-it-Work and also search on this web site for other nibmeister. It is well worth finding one. It is the only way to get your cake and eat it too.

A great cheap, light weight fountain pen, costing about $5.00, that lays down a wonderfully smooth line is the Platinum Preppy with extra fine 02 nib. Get it from Goulet Pens and have them convert your pen to an eyedropper fill for you. They will do this by adding an o-ring and applying silicone grease to the threads for an extra $2 upcharge. This pen will hold a shocking amount of ink (around 3.5 ml) and then you use this pen while you send off your Lamy 2000 to be modified. Who knows you just might like this pen so much that you'll never go back. Preppy also comes in a fine (03) nib and for the money you can get both to see which size you prefer.

Thanks! I didn't know they had expedited service.

I own both a Pilot CH92, in blue, and a 74. I bought the 92 with a fine medium nib and found this a bit "thick" for my liking. I have since bought a 74 with a soft fine nib, I have swapped out the soft fine into the 92 and what a pen it has become.

I also have to say I enjoy the 74 much more now with the the fine medium nib.

The problem with buying online, you can not try before you buy.

I purchased both pens online out of Japan, great service from each vendor.

The soft fine is not a nib option in the 92.

Overall I prefer the 92 to the 74. Good luck with your hunt.

Greg

Thanks Greg,

Can you tell me how fine the soft fine nib is compared to other pens you have?

not discussed much here in FPN is Pilot Celemo. $50, very light, 14k nib. got mine from e-bay (E-Sell-jp). Comes with a converter. It is one of my best writer. Unfortunately I got a M nib thinking Pilot steel and gold nibs are same line thickness. There is a review somewhere.

Thanks for the recommandation,

I've never seen Pilot Celemo. I will check this out too. I thought gold nibs write little bit wetter than steel nibs in general which may make the line thicker.

Sheaffer PFM.

Thanks,

They look really cool. I see different types of them tho. Can you tell me which one you are exactly recommanding me?

The Tombow Carbon Fiber Zoom 101 will astound you with its featherweight. Whether you like holding its smooth surface is another matter, but it's really amazing how light it is.

Thanks,

They seem very light but I think it will be too thin for my taste.

Nemosine Singularity. I have been very impressed with mine in the EF nib. Very nice writer and very affordable.

Thanks for another recommandation. I have never seen this pen. How smooth is it?

My math pen is the TWSBi ECO in F nib inked with Waterman Serenity Blue.

Copes well with sub/superscripts, symbols and what not on ordinary decent quality everyday writing paper. In particular I find the combo works very well on Silvine carbon neutral A4 refill pads which I got quite affordably off Amazon (UK). Smooth, no feathering, no bleed through, can write on both sides with no issues. For annotations, quick graph sketches, etc I am using Pilot penmanship (very fine needle tip) with Diamine Syrah. Not for the

For quick scribbling on cheap supermarket "so bad it should be illegal" copy paper I use a Pilot 78g Medium with Diamine Onyx Black. It's what I carry in an A4 'conference pad' and take out on buses, trains, etc. If it breaks/gets lost I will get another one.

Thanks,

I had TWSBI pen with EF nib, but it wrote too thick for my taste. I want to try Silvine carbon neutral paper; not sure if they have in US tho..

As some are before me suggested Sailor with fine nib. I have a Sapporo with fine nib. Comparing a Sailor fine nib to a PArker fine nib, its like differences between fine and medium. Even with a small Sailor cartridge I can write a lot and easily refill the cartridge with any ink I like.

Thanks VivienR,

I have never had Sailor pens before. It Sapporo a smooth writer? comparing to Pilot nibs in general? (If you have Pilot pens)

Thanks for the recommandation,

I've never seen Pilot Celemo. I will check this out too. I thought gold nibs write little bit wetter than steel nibs in general which may make the line thicker.

I too saw Pilot Celemo on Japanese stores only. Not many carry this model. This seems to be for Japanese market. The seller I bought from sells to us foreigners too. Yes, gold nibs write wetter and lines are thicker than steel. I have a Pilot ED with steel F and it's so fine that I bought M on Celemo. Still, no regrets for Celemo.

Regards

Subramoniam

Thanks VivienR,

I have never had Sailor pens before. It Sapporo a smooth writer? comparing to Pilot nibs in general? (If you have Pilot pens)

Sadly, currently I not have a Pilot pen so can't compare for you. Yes I consider my Sapporo's nib smooth. On some paper it can sound like you writing with a nail, but I still love it. Those papers usually have little borders. Flow is consistent, and till there is enough ink the cartridge there is no issue with the starting. After reaching certain ink level, around 5-8% in the cartridge, I experiencing starting issues. Its more the fault of the cartridge than the pen. For some certain reasons inks like to stuck its wall. There are no small ball to break the surface tension, so it can be bit problematic. I didn't experienced this kind of behavior with different cartridges or converters using the same ink, so I think its more the plastic material of the Sailor Cartridge. Although I got a converter for it, I didn't used yet, maybe its a safe bet to think it can behave similarly. I'm planning to buy an another Sailor. :)

Thanks Lam1,

I'm now torn between Custom Heritage 92 and Platinum Century 3776. Do you have any of these by any chance?

I have both with M nibs, and between the two my preference is for the Platinum 3776. In my opinion the nib on the platinum is better and has more character. I also prefer the looks of the Platinum (my son and I have the Chartres blue and my wife has the Bourgogne red) to the CH92. The grey parts of the CH92 just don't seem to go well in the pen. In fact, I am probably going to sell CH92 - it is a fine pen, it's just that I never warmed up to it and I have other demonstrators that I prefer. But keep in mind that your experience may be different. Edited by Lam1