How Safe R&k Salix Or Mb Midnight Blue In Lamy 2000?

JoeB

Hi,

I have Lamy 2000 EF filled with noodler's #41 brown at the moment, and I mostly write on HP Laserjet 24lb paper with this pen. Before I used noodler's #41 brown, I had tried noodler's 54th Massachusetts and it wrote really thick on the paper which I dislike.

With noodler's #41 brown, it writes little bit thinner but still thick for my taste. I have read things about iron gall inks behaving well on cheaper papers. Thus, I was searching for some iron gall inks (no black color) for my lamy 2000. However, I am worried that it may corrode/damage the pen.

I wonder if there is anyone using iron gall inks in lamy 2000 and how you maintain it!

Also, if you know other thin inks on HP Laserjet 24lb paper, please recommend me them as well!!

(I have ordered HP Premium Choice Laserjet Paper 32lb and will try if the pen writes thinner on this paper when I get them)

Thanks,

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JoeB

• lapis

• carlos.q

• SujiCorp12345

You will have no problems using modern IG inks like R&K Salix or Scabiosa on your Lamy 2000. I have used both in that pen (and others) with no problem. You just have to use regular pen hygiene like you would with other inks.

Please be advised that the new formulation of MB Midnight Blue is NOT an IG ink.

Very safe. (No harm meant). They both belong to "FP-friendly" inks. Noodler's doesn't always, IMO.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

You will have no problems using modern IG inks like R&K Salix or Scabiosa on your Lamy 2000. I have used both in that pen (and others) with no problem. You just have to use regular pen hygiene like you would with other inks.

Please be advised that the new formulation of MB Midnight Blue is NOT an IG ink.

Thanks carlos.q,

I didn't know they have changed.

Very safe. (No harm meant). They both belong to "FP-friendly" inks. Noodler's doesn't always, IMO.

Mike

Thanks Mike,

The sample is on its way!

I'm not really a fan of the colour of Salix, but it is an amazing ink that practically never feathers on any paper that's half-decent.

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Hi,

+1 for Salix in FPs - just don't let it dry out.

If you find N#41 / N54M 'too thick', then try diluting them with [distilled] water to perhaps 85% concentration. Adding a whisper of surfactant to the diluted ink may also improve things.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

I agree with others as to R&K Salix and Scabiosa- I have used both in pens such as an Ahab demonstrator & TWISBI 580AL- no problems and the ink has such character. I do use a lamy Safari at work to be used on (bleep) paper- Noodlers Xfeather is superb and sometimes it is filled with Quink or Waterman Mysterious blue.

I'll add the iron galls of KWZ inks to your list of inks that you can use in all fountain pens. Conrad from KWZ Inks makes some excellent colors, and I use the IG Blues (3 different variants) frequently in my pens at work. IG inks do an excellent job on cheap paper.

If you are good with keeping your pens working smoothly with high dye load inks like Noodlers, you have the right pen hygiene habits. I also add a small amount of vinegar to my cleaning solution when I'm cleaning out the pens I loaded with IG inks.

Buzz

I frequently use iron gall inks, like Diamine or Akkerman, in my Lamy 2000. It has a wet flow, and that works well with IG inks.

Of course you should only use modern IG inks designed for fountain pens, and flush your pen regularly.

• 2 weeks later...

I love my IG inks and have used ESS registrar's ink in my L2k. No problems at all. However, IG appears to dry out on the nib a bit quicker than ordinary inks. Has anyone experienced that?