Pilot 823

Dean

Anyway, I've got an 823 coming to me probably tomorrow or Friday. I've had one before, so I know they're amazing and reliable pens. I'm excited.

Ahem.... :drool: One of these days if I starve for about 2 months I'll have one too.

I'm happy for you.

Chihiro- How did you know my name was Chihiro?

Haku- I have known you since you were very small.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Dean

• Blorgy

• meanwhile

Are any of the 823 owners tempted to buy the Visconti Inkpot for their pens? While the 823 holds more ink than any pen I own, I know it would fill completely up and hold even more with the help of gravity (and the Inkpot). I feel silly for wanting even larger ink capacity, but there's just something about getting that barrel filled to the brim that excites me. :)

I thought the same as you, so a few weeks ago, I tried filling my Pilot Custom 823 with a Visconti Travelling Inkpot.

I did not have much success, which I think is a good sign.

I soon reverted to filling conventionally from an ordinary ink bottle.

My guess is that a Visconti Inkpot is more helpful if the pen's suction is weak, that is, if the plunger filler is only able to produce a small negative pressure, when the plunger is pushed in to the pen.

I would like to try again, using my 823 pen and a much larger version of the Inkpot.

In a printed Stylophiles magazine, I think Deb Kinney described using the Visconti Inkpot with Visconti plunger fillers.

That made me wonder if Visconti plunger fillers only produced a small negative pressure, when the plunger was pushed into the pen. Perhaps the Inkpot is most useful when the plunger filler is beginning to fail.

Edited by Blorgy

• 2 weeks later...
I work with MBs all day. On a typical day we have 2-3 in the repair draw waiting for collection. The bulid quality of a Pelikan M800 compared to a MB146 is huge.The MB feels cheap.

Ronin

Are you a Montblanc repairman or are you a penshop owner? I have a vintage m800 made in 1987 and I compared it to my 1965 146, well it is a little bit heavier but aside from that it is not better https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...amp;qpid=280186

The Fountain Pen Network -> Replying in Pilot 823not more smoother. Quality of build is identical for me. Perhaps you are mentionning the prone to fracture resin manufactured pens, but for the mechanism both brands use solid brass. One my 1987 m800 a very small part of the clip gold plating is gone that is not the case with my 146. So I wouldn't say the 146 is a cheap pen.

I think you're understandably becoming confused here - I couldn't post as well as you do in a forum written in French! I don't think anyone questions the quality of vintage MB's (by which I do NOT mean 80's pens). But you seem to assume that modern MB's are much the same as the classic models. This simply isn't so. Just to consider the filler:

http://www.rickconner.net/penspotters/montblanc.149.html

Originally, the 149 used Montblanc's excellent two-stage piston unit with lots of brass parts (the piston did not engage until the knob was cranked up a few millimeters, preventing accidental release of ink); you will see an unthreaded brass cylinder under the knob on these models. On the newer pens, a simpler filler is used; you can see brass threads under the knob (as in this example), and still newer pens have plastic threads (yuk).

The feed is different too. And course no one uses the same nib tipping material now as they did in the 50's. The truth is that a modern 149 has nothing in common with a classic model except the shape and model number - different barrel material, different nib, different filler, different feed - there's literally nothing left. Which is why FUDing the 823 by saying that the 149 is more proven design is a nonsense: those old 50's 149s are proven, but they have nothing to with the modern pens.

- Jonathan