Pilot 823

Dean

Anyone out there have a Pilot 823 that could answer a few questions for me?

- How does it feel posted in terms of balance?

- Where did you purchase the pen?

- How much do they cost?

Thanks.

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• georges zaslavsky

• Dean

• Blorgy

• meanwhile

I just purchased one and I think it is an outstanding pen. Smooth-as-glass nib, huge ink capacity, very comfortable in hand. I saw your post asking about the MB146. I have both, and prefer the Pilot Custom 823. It's very comfortable posted, but long enough to go unposted if desired.

Here's a link to the Stylophines Online review. Great article:

http://www.stylophilesonline.com/01-06/01823.htm

I purchased mine used from another pen board, but I've heard very good things about buying direct from Ujuku Pen Shop in Japan:

http://ujuku.jpn.ph/KAIMONO/penframe.htm

Their price is $259...a good deal less than the MB146 for as good or better a pen.

Good luck.

Edited by DanGitlitz

Ok Dan, I just purchased one. Looks like a great pen and actually just what I'm looking for... the smoothness and size of a Sailor 1911 with a huge ink capacity!

Thanks.

Dean

When I was fourteen years old, I was amazed at how unintelligent my father was. By the time I turned twenty-one, I was astounded how much he had learned in the last seven years.

--Mark Twain

You won't regret it. I got one recently and it's a wonderful writer. Plus, that seller on eBay that you got it from, Taizo-san, is wonderfully-reliable. I've acquired more than a dozen pens from him and each transaction has been perfect.

Dean,

Can we implore you to post a review of the 823 after you use it for awhile?

I think about one from time to time as well.

Hi Everyone,

Just to add my $0.02 wink.gif I liked my first 823 so much, I decided to get another!! If that doesn't say something, I don't know what would. Both of my pens were purchased from the same Japanese seller - the first one was via eBay (about $175, high bidder) while the second one was a direct purchase ($230 if I recall correctly).

Anyway, on to the more interesting stuff! My first pen was a graduation present to myself (M.A. in Spanish Lit). The only Asian nibs I had handled before this were the Pilot VPs and I liked their fines for everyday use and note-taking. So... I decided to order a black pen with a fine nib. Filled with Sailor ink, it was a smooth writer but had a slightly irregular flow - skipped on the upstroke. At first I thought it was due to the light grey ink, but I decided to take it with me to the Philly pen show. While there, I had Roger Cromwell from Penopoly take a look at it. To make a long story short, he decided the feed was too restrictive and adjusted it for me. happycloud9.gif Now loaded with Aurora Black, the nib is still quite fine, but the flow is excellent and it's been in my rotation ever since. I thought it was my favorite pen until...

After a while, I started to wonder what the brown pen looked like in person. Having all the willpower bestowed upon a gnat, I decided to treat myself (again!) and order another 823 a few weeks ago. I read the afforementioned Stylophiles article and decided that the new pen would have a medium nib. It arrived and... well... I'm in love again!!

With the brown pen, you can see much more of the vac-fill "innards." The black pen is considerably more opaque - unless you look closely, you might miss that it's a demonstrator. I decided that Waterman Havana Brown would make a good match and I wasn't proven wrong! smile.gif From then on, both my 823s have been in constant rotation/use.

Speaking from personal experience... treat yourself to at least one of these amazing pens!! They are among the best writers I have (IMHO even better than my Sailor 1911) and the ink capacity is astounding.

All the best,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

I've read that review as well. Once I receive the pen and write with it for a few days, I'll post a review as well and hopefully a writing sample.

Dean

--Mark Twain

ProfMike - I'm glad somebody has a brown version as I think it's more of a looker than the black example.

Dean - I look forward to your review of your Pilot.Which one did you buy and what nib did you choose?

Ronin

Ronin,

I'm more of a black pen kind of guy, so I purchased one in black with a medium nib. Now, if I really like the pen, I may need one in brown with a fine nib down the road wink.gif .

Dean

--Mark Twain

QUOTE (ProfMike @ Apr 15 2007, 03:58 AM)
the ink capacity is astounding.
All the best, Mike

When I filled my Pilot Custom 823, it took up about 1.5 gm water.

How does this compare with other people's Pilot Custom 823 pens ?

QUOTE (Blorgy @ Apr 15 2007, 06:50 PM)
When I filled my Pilot Custom 823, it took up about 1.5 gm water.
How does this compare with other people's Pilot Custom 823 pens ?

To be honest, I never actually measured the amount of ink that was taken into the pen. I'm very scientifically challenged tongue.gif but, from "eyeballing it" and noting the amount of time between refilling (and taking into account the amount of writing done), it seems that both my 823s hold far more ink than any contemporary cartridge/converter filler. They also seem to hold more than Pelikan m400/m600s and my MB 146. Of course, this is merely personal observation and not scientific evaluation, but I'd go out on a limb to say that no pen I own can hold more ink than the 823s. If only I had the patience and equipment to come up with a more concrete observation... smile.gif

Take care,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

Those of you who have the 823: Do you have to turn the tail cap each time you want to write with it, in order to "release" the ink?

FWIW: I met a local Pilot rep at a pen fair in New York on Friday and asked why these are not available in the US. His answer : "No market for them."

Bob

I travel to Asia a few times a year and whenever I can, try to spend a couple of days in Tokyo. I actually shed a tear when I see all the wonderful items that never make it stateside. Fortunately, thanks to the Internet, the world has gotten smaller. Small consolation, no doubt.

QUOTE (Spongebob @ Apr 15 2007, 07:17 PM)
Do you have to turn the tail cap each time you want to write with it, in order to "release" the ink?

Bob

Yes. It has a cut off valve which stops the flow of ink. My De La Rue plunger filler also has a cut off valve. I sometimes leave the valve permanently open, in case I forget to open it when I write.

Thanks and you anticipated the question that I forgot to ask: Anything wrong with leaving the valve open so you're always ready to write.

Bob

I posted a few pics of my brown Pilot Custom 823 for the benefit of those who would like to get a closer look at one -> Pilot 823 photos.. Since I like Fine nibs, I got one with the Japanese Medium nib knowing that Japanese nibs tend to run thinner. The nib I received runs more toward being a Medium Fine, putting down a wet line on paper with just a touch. No matter how fast I write, the pen has no difficulty in keeping up with me, laying down ink as fast as I can guide it over paper without skipping a single beat. It's now my daily writer. :wub:

Just received my 823 and LOVE it.

Dean

--Mark Twain