Ink For Grading Student Papers

TimMcL

Want to try something different that you just might love? I teach at university and this works well for me. Combine De Atramentis Document ink with a J.Herbin refillable rollerball. They are permanent inks that dry almost as soon as the tip touches the paper. No time for feathering or bleed through. Get a Monteverde mini converter and fill it up. The stuff works great.

I use it for marking papers.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• ink-syringe

• JefferyS

• Bigeddie

And this is why I am fine with red for grading. It pops from the paper, and students (at least when I was in school) weren't using red.

The whole "trauma of grading with red" complaint just frustrates me that we've managed to let the kids these days become the most delicate little flowers, incapable of receiving negative feedback. I'm not that old. Finished school in a year that began with the number 2, and the red ink debate wasn't even an issue.

They're not "the most delicate little flowers" nor are they "incapable of receiving negative feedback." They receive plenty. I am not sure what you could be talking about. My comments on papers have not changed for the 30 years that I have been grading them. A misused modifying phrase is still just that, and a paper without much thought or care is still just that. Tests with inaccurate answers are still marked wrong, and late work is still marked late.

Capital letters used to have a different meaning until the internet came along and FLAMING came into being. Some tonal communication signals do change over time. Some teachers are changing their minds about using the color red. There is no big "debate" as you suggest, just some folks changing their minds about what they use in their profession (my profession). Do you really care what color of pen a person uses at his or her job? What color shirt he or she wears? What I find most curious about this is how many folks from outside the profession weigh in with a "what-is-the-world-coming-to" response to a professional decision by some folks who work with children who want to be both kind and corrective so that all types of learners improve--yes, even those sensitive "flowers" that we call our children.

I am writing a review paper on red ink and marking at the moment - the punchlines are:

• There are cultural and political (small p) issues with the use of red, and the avoidance of the use of red (as seen in this thread).
  • Some uncorroborated findings that people who mark with red are more conservative with marks ('object priming').
  • Limited evidence that students are more satisfied with comments and feedback in turquoise than red in comparisons. This is important if student satisfaction is used in individual or organizational performance metrics.
  • Ultimately, the medical evidence, 10% of white males (less in other demographics) are red-green color blind - so marking in turquoise is a good idea anyway, it stands out for a majority of people with forms of colorblindness.

So do what you like! I am going to continue to mark in Lamy Turquoise (or MB Balzac if I feel generous) because it doesn't make much difference to me, but it might to some of my students with visual disabilities. :)

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

I am writing a review paper on red ink and marking at the moment - the punchlines are:

• There are cultural and political (small p) issues with the use of red, and the avoidance of the use of red (as seen in this thread).
  • Some uncorroborated findings that people who mark with red are more conservative with marks ('object priming').
  • Limited evidence that students are more satisfied with comments and feedback in turquoise than red in comparisons. This is important if student satisfaction is used in individual or organizational performance metrics.
  • Ultimately, the medical evidence, 10% of white males (less in other demographics) are red-green color blind - so marking in turquoise is a good idea anyway, it stands out for a majority of people with forms of colorblindness.

So do what you like! I am going to continue to mark in Lamy Turquoise (or MB Balzac if I feel generous) because it doesn't make much difference to me, but it might to some of my students with visual disabilities. :)

Thank you for some considered thought on this. I had not considered the red-green color blind issue before. Given that those were the two colors I just filled my pens with, I need to give that some thought. Also, I love that you also considered the grader's behavior with respect to color; that's fascinating.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

I use Noodler's Gruen Cactus. Diamine Pumpkin is also in a few pens.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

They're not "the most delicate little flowers" nor are they "incapable of receiving negative feedback." They receive plenty. I am not sure what you could be talking about. My comments on papers have not changed for the 30 years that I have been grading them. A misused modifying phrase is still just that, and a paper without much thought or care is still just that. Tests with inaccurate answers are still marked wrong, and late work is still marked late.

Capital letters used to have a different meaning until the internet came along and FLAMING came into being. Some tonal communication signals do change over time. Some teachers are changing their minds about using the color red. There is no big "debate" as you suggest, just some folks changing their minds about what they use in their profession (my profession). Do you really care what color of pen a person uses at his or her job? What color shirt he or she wears? What I find most curious about this is how many folks from outside the profession weigh in with a "what-is-the-world-coming-to" response to a professional decision by some folks who work with children who want to be both kind and corrective so that all types of learners improve--yes, even those sensitive "flowers" that we call our children.

My comments were both based upon comments from teachers in my life. People I went to school with, and completely trust for their opinion and perspective on the matter. I'm glad you're able to do as you see fit. Two of the teachers I know can not use red ink when grading. One no longer teaches due to her frustration with the system and what it is becoming. You don't see it as a "debate," yet I see my friend giving up on her chosen profession because of it. Different sides of the coin I guess.

My comments were both based upon comments from teachers in my life. People I went to school with, and completely trust for their opinion and perspective on the matter. I'm glad you're able to do as you see fit. Two of the teachers I know can not use red ink when grading. One no longer teaches due to her frustration with the system and what it is becoming. You don't see it as a "debate," yet I see my friend giving up on her chosen profession because of it. Different sides of the coin I guess.

I've never heard of a teacher being forbidden (with threatened professional consequences) to use a certain correction color. Who is/was telling them this?

And yes, I, too, know disgruntled professionals in several professions leaving their jobs unhappy. I, too, have been unhappy with my job, but I know better than to impugn an entire profession because of my periodic unhappiness (we all suffer unhappiness at times at work), or even more I know I shouldn't blame persons who disagree with me for my unhappiness. I am responsible for my happiness and unhappiness. 100%. And the children are certainly not to blame either. Teaching has never been easy and is not for everyone; frustrations lurk everywhere, same as in business, same as in parenting, same as in working in the military, same as in working for a boss whom you know is lazier than you and gets paid more. I have the best job on the planet, despite these frustrations, some of which seem absurd to me (any "institution" is 50% absurd--have you read Kafka?). I think that the historical Jesus knew this, too (he had not read Kafka, although they were both Jews... ;) )

Edited by TSherbs

Thank you for some considered thought on this. I had not considered the red-green color blind issue before. Given that those were the two colors I just filled my pens with, I need to give that some thought. Also, I love that you also considered the grader's behavior with respect to color; that's fascinating.

You're very welcome, the two papers involved with grader's behavior and student perception are from existing research -

On Assessors marking more harshly in red

Rutchick, A., Slepian, M. and Ferriss, B. 2010. The Pen is Mightier than the Word: Object Priming of Evaluative Standards. European Journal of Social Psychology, 40, p. 704-708.

On Students preferring marks in turquoise - also unable to replicate the findings of Rutchick et al. (2010).

Dukes, R. and Albanesi, H. 2013. Seeing Red: Quality of an Essay, Color of the Grading Pen and Student Reactions to Red. The Social Science Journal, 50, p. 96-100. (This will probably require journal subscription or institutional access.)

This is a discussion that goes around and around on this forum, I was interested in it for my marking as a lecturer in the UK. I did some reading and reached my own conclusions. Because of the politics involved I don't think prescribing a colour is the answer - people get very reactionary about it!

Edited by Bigeddie

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love. -Carl Sagan

Perhaps the visceral reaction to the topic is as interesting to study as the ink itself. Thanks for the cites.

You're very welcome, the two papers involved with grader's behavior and student perception are from existing research -

On Assessors marking more harshly in red

Rutchick, A., Slepian, M. and Ferriss, B. 2010. The Pen is Mightier than the Word: Object Priming of Evaluative Standards. European Journal of Social Psychology, 40, p. 704-708.

Study participants were college students who likely had no experience grading papers. The study was NOT about the behavior of people who grade papers. Nor was it about the perceptions of the participants. This study of cognitive priming has theoretical value, but the results have no business influencing educational policy or practice.

Study participants were college students who likely had no experience grading papers. The study was NOT about the behavior of people who grade papers. Nor was it about the perceptions of the participants. This study of cognitive priming has theoretical value, but the results have no business influencing educational policy or practice.

Test subjects for research do not have to come from the same age group or professional class (or even economic group) as the target group, although it can certainly help and be more relevant. Sometimes you don't even need the same species of animal, and the results can still have relevance (albeit limited). To dismiss entirely the relevance on the grounds that student subjects were used seems to be too sweeping and not the standard practice for all the studies that are done using undergraduate test subjects. This is quite common practice at universities for all sorts of research.

Perhaps the visceral reaction to the topic is as interesting to study as the ink itself. Thanks for the cites.

Indeed. I find "education" to be one of those topics that many persons feel they are experts in simply because they went to school. Like how we often feel we are experts at child development simply because we were all children once. If this were sufficient preparation for wise parenting, we would have many fewer mistakes in the practice (my own included)!

Hence my caveats :)

These are reasons (besides the small scale of the samples) that I fall back on the much better medical evidence base in the (personal) rejecting of red for marking.

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of people who are colorblind in this matter. I know a colleague of mine prefers a broad black for marking and edits of his work.

Edited by Bigeddie

Hence my caveats :)

These are reasons (besides the small scale of the samples) that I fall back on the much better medical evidence base in the (personal) rejecting of red for marking.

I don't see a caveat in your posting. Here's what you said: "the two papers involved with grader's behavior and student perception are from existing research." The Rutchick paper did not involve grader's behavior or student perceptions. I doubt that anyone here would insist that you use red ink to grade papers, But evidence you call up to support a pet preference should be on point.

I never use red for grading. I don't even have any red inks other than Diamine Oxblood, and some reddish brown inks (Noodler's Beaver). All of my papers in high school were graded in red. It isn't a comforting color that is associated with constructive criticism.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

I don't see a caveat in your posting. Here's what you said: "the two papers involved with grader's behavior and student perception are from existing research." The Rutchick paper did not involve grader's behavior or student perceptions. I doubt that anyone here would insist that you use red ink to grade papers, But evidence you call up to support a pet preference should be on point.

On that basis you disregard a lot of psychological and sociological research. What makes a grader a grader? What is different about these people and 'instructors' who are grading for the first time. Alterntatively, why is an observed instructor the same as a non-observed instructor. I have a much greater problem with the small samples with those studies, which is why I don't place great weight on that work (as I indicated in my first post).

As I have said previously the evidence on medical conditions is much better, which is what I base my personal decision on. Many people have said red is a good colour for feedback and marking because it stands out. The medical evidence suggests that for a good sized group of colourblind people (as an estimate 5% would be >1300 students at my institution) that is not the case and there are better alternatives to meet that objective. That is enough for me to change my practice. I have yet to see evidence for an effective counterargument - that red is better because it is more visible to a wider group of people.

But as I said - do what makes you happy. :)

On that basis you disregard a lot of psychological and sociological research...As I have said previously the evidence on medical conditions is much better, which is what I base my personal decision on. Many people have said red is a good colour for feedback and marking because it stands out. The medical evidence suggests that for a good sized group of colourblind people (as an estimate 5% would be >1300 students at my institution) that is not the case and there are better alternatives to meet that objective. That is enough for me to change my practice. I have yet to see evidence for an effective counterargument - that red is better because it is more visible to a wider group of people.

I insist that research be on point. However, I don't disregard findings, but cull them out. The Rutchick paper is interesting because of its novel test of cognitive priming. What it doesn't do is support the policy claim that people shouldn't use red ink in grading papers.

Color vision deficiency is not unique to the red spectrum and it varies in sensitivity. Using a color other than red ink does not address the problem overall. Instead of following your own preference, why don't you ask your students what color they prefer? You can say something like, "I generally use XXX ink in grading your papers. Please let me know individually if you have difficulty with this color."

Asking is a nice idea, but I'm assuming you'd want to have them respond privately. However, though you are right that other colors can be a problem for some, I'm pretty sure the highest incidence is red/green. So it would seem biggest bang for buck without polling would be avoiding those. I may poke into our testing accommodation office some time, and see if they have any guidance.

Asking is a nice idea, but I'm assuming you'd want to have them respond privately. However, though you are right that other colors can be a problem for some, I'm pretty sure the highest incidence is red/green. So it would seem biggest bang for buck without polling would be avoiding those. I may poke into our testing accommodation office some time, and see if they have any guidance.

Your biggest gain will result from asking people what they want or need and treating your own preference as a default. Basic information about color vision deficiency, including types, causes, and incidence rates, is available here: http://www.colourblindawareness.org/colour-blindness/types-of-colour-blindness/

I insist that research be on point. However, I don't disregard findings, but cull them out. The Rutchick paper is interesting because of its novel test of cognitive priming. What it doesn't do is support the policy claim that people shouldn't use red ink in grading papers.

Color vision deficiency is not unique to the red spectrum and it varies in sensitivity. Using a color other than red ink does not address the problem overall. Instead of following your own preference, why don't you ask your students what color they prefer? You can say something like, "I generally use XXX ink in grading your papers. Please let me know individually if you have difficulty with this color."

1. I don't recall anyone here suggesting a "policy claim" that "people shouldn't" use red ink. I only recall individuals giving their own reasons for their own decisions. But maybe I missed something.

2. I do, but I don't track individual preferences for grading color (this is more individualized than I care to monitor for this issue). I just use a color that ALL persons, including myself, are accepting of: greens, purples, blues, blacks (sometimes brown). No one has ever expressed an objection to any of these, and as the professional making the decisions for my classroom, I do not object to any of them either.