Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

A Well-Behaved Golden Brownish Ink?

merrycitrine

Hello FPN,

I need some advice on what well-behaved golden brownish inks are out there. I have been searching and searching for a while and doing research on this, but it always results in some problem people have with the ink.

1) Noodler's Golden Brown is reported to be dry and leaves a residue on demonstrators

2) Diamine Golden Brown is also dry

3) Diamine Ochre seems to get gunky and stains demonstrators

4) PR sepia has issues with clogging

Now the thing is, I want to use this ink in a demonstrator - either a Kaweco sport clear as an eyedropper or a TWSBI 580 Diamond, both with either fine or extra fine nibs. So my concern is both, staining and dry inks in fairly fine nibbed pens.

Any ideas out there on what else is there to try? (Also would be great if it is not too pricey!)

Thank you! :D

EDIT: Please feel free to tell me about your favorite warm-toned brown inks as this is something I am open to as well! Thanks!

Edited by merrycitrine
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrycitrine

• ac12

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

Caution, lighter inks are harder to see with EF nibs. Something to do with how the eye sees a narrow line of color. Blue inks that look just fine in a M nib, look washed out and faded out of an EF nib.

So unless you KNOW it will work with the EF nib, I suggest going wider to F or even M.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Caution, lighter inks are harder to see with EF nibs. Something to do with how the eye sees a narrow line of color. Blue inks that look just fine in a M nib, look washed out and faded out of an EF nib.

So unless you KNOW it will work with the EF nib, I suggest going wider to F or even M.

I am open to darker browns with some warmer tones! I hoped that because Noodler's for example had a black component in it, it would work out ok in a fine nib. Do you have any brown inks you enjoy in a finer nib?

I very much like J. Herbin's Lie de The . I keep a Sheaffer Balancer II (fine) filled with it. They were made for each other.

Edited by T4TEXAS

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

- Jack London

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

My favorite golden brown, or actually amber is J Herbin's Ambre Birmanie. It was one of the first inks I purchased and I remembered it work quite well on my EF Montblanc Boheme. It's also quite easy to clean and quite a well behaved ink. The other favorite of mine is Iroshizuku's Inaho, although I would consider that to be more olive than brown.

I would agree with ac12 these lighter inks don't work as well in fine pens.

I used Waterman brown, I can't remember what size nib, besides a 1.1 Lamy nib.

I would not say it is "golden brown."

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Consider Pendemonium's Eternal Brown (made by Noodler's). it is eternal and bulletproof. I like it, but check the reviews for evaluation of flow, etc. I also like Texas Pecan from Dromgoole's (also by Noodlers), which isn't as golden.

One of my favourite browns for fine nibs is Prout's Brown. When I want to golden it up a bit I mix with some Apache Sunset.

http://i.imgur.com/spKXwOm.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

bioluminescentsquid

The ones you named - Noodler's Golden Brown, Diamine Golden Brown, and PR sepia are the only readily avaliable inks I've seen that strike me as true "golden browns" - others seem to be too red, too orange or having a "dusty" hue. However, if you can manage to procure it, Sailor's retired Brown is a beautiful shade of Golden brown, Bungbox's Nostalgia is a "dustier" Golden Brown (Based on the samples I've seen), and Califolio Inti also seems like a magnificent, shading golden brown.

My Iroshizuku Tsukushi (brown with a touch of olive) seems well behaved. So is my OMAS (slightly reddish toned) sepia/brown.

No issues with flushing out of pens & both these browns are easy on the eye, particularly if I use a wider, edged nib (a stub or a CI). :)

On the other hand, with Diamine's Ancient Copper & Burt Sienna, I had some issues. Nib creep with the former, staining with the latter. :(

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I'd suggest KWZI IG Gold. It goes down lighter than Noodler's Golden Brown and darkens incredibly swiftly to a much more readable color. Watching it oxidize is a delight!

inkstainedruth

Another suggestion might be KWZI IG Mandarin -- it goes down orange but oxidizes to golden brown. It shaded beautifully, but I didn't have it in a pen with an F or EF nib.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sailor Kenshin

Hello FPN,

I need some advice on what well-behaved golden brownish inks are out there. I have been searching and searching for a while and doing research on this, but it always results in some problem people have with the ink.

1) Noodler's Golden Brown is reported to be dry and leaves a residue on demonstrators

2) Diamine Golden Brown is also dry

3) Diamine Ochre seems to get gunky and stains demonstrators

4) PR sepia has issues with clogging

Now the thing is, I want to use this ink in a demonstrator - either a Kaweco sport clear as an eyedropper or a TWSBI 580 Diamond, both with either fine or extra fine nibs. So my concern is both, staining and dry inks in fairly fine nibbed pens.

Any ideas out there on what else is there to try? (Also would be great if it is not too pricey!)

Thank you! :D

EDIT: Please feel free to tell me about your favorite warm-toned brown inks as this is something I am open to as well! Thanks!

If you can get your hands on a bottle of vintage Sheaffer King's Gold, grab it!

My other pen is a Montblanc and...

My other blog is a tumblr.

Nothing beats Noodler's Golden Brown in my opinion, but the color variation is lost in F/EF nibs unless SUPER wet. I don't find the ink dry, but I stick it in my stubs (0.8--1.1mm). It has had no staining at all on my demonstrators.

Set your Golden Browns loose in bigger nibs!

It can hardly be described as inexpensive, but I'll put in a vote for Pilot's Ina-Ho. Very well-behaved, a gentle ink that grows on you. (Yes, I know many can't stand the color, but variety is the spice of life.)