A Little Platinum Nib Love

Margana

Has anyone else fallen for the Platinum #3776 Yamanaka with a soft medium nib? It's a beautiful pen to be sure and I do have a fascination with demos. However, in this case, the nib is just as fantastic as the pen. I only had a sample of Platinum Mixable Silky Purple ink, but put it to best use by loading it in the Yamanaka SM. This might just be the smoothest duo in my collection. Call it a controlled glide with a little line variation.

Platinum only made a limited number of the Yamanaka SM pens, but I hope the nib appears on more models in future. It's a worthy addition to the line.

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Margana

• Kugelschreiber

• Namo

• Algester

Lové Platinum nibs. The 3776 is a bit small and light for me, but the nib is juste amazing!

The Century is slightly larger though not any heavier than the #3776. Is that still too small?

A certified Inkophile

I dunno the sm nibs are available on the 3776 black only black one though but through nib swaping and special order you can get sf and sm on chartes blue and red borgougne

Any hints as to where to look for an SM? My searching seemed to suggest it wasn't an option outside the limited editions, so clearly my lack of Japanese isn't helping my quest.

The Century is slightly larger though not any heavier than the #3776. Is that still too small?

Maybe not, but if I ever try a Platinum again, I am going to akm at a President model or maybe at some higher end pen, one of these with this sleek and longer grip.

My delicious Platinum nib is now happily married to an Italien piston filler, Marlen Aleph. This is a h*** of a pen...

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

Any hints as to where to look for an SM? My searching seemed to suggest it wasn't an option outside the limited editions, so clearly my lack of Japanese isn't helping my quest.

You are right about the LE and the SM nib. Platinum did not make enough of them to meet demand which makes me hopeful they will see it as a desirable nib that should be offered on many other models.

Edited by Margana

A certified Inkophile

Maybe not, but if I ever try a Platinum again, I am going to akm at a President model or maybe at some higher end pen, one of these with this sleek and longer grip.

My delicious Platinum nib is now happily married to an Italien piston filler, Marlen Aleph. This is a h*** of a pen...

Which size is your Plat nib?

A certified Inkophile

I have two SM nibs: one on a Yamanaka and one from a second Yamanaka that I swapped to a Shoji. They both write very well, but the one on the Yamanaka is noticeably softer. It is the equal of any Pilot soft nib I've tried and one of the favorites in my collection.

Edited by Striated

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

It's a B. With the Marlen feed, it's very wet, and puts down a very nice, precise, stubbish (a little) western M line. I love the nib!

The Platinum B is very smooth, wet and tolerant of my tendency to rotate a pen. It's a joy to use.

A certified Inkophile

I have two SM nibs: one on a Yamanaka and one from a second Yamanaka that I swapped to a Shoji. They both write very well, but the one on the Yamanaka is noticeably softer. It is the equal of any Pilot soft nib I've tried and one of the favorites in my collection.

Which Pilot soft nib? The Yamanaka SM did not require breaking-in like the Namiki Falcon SF nibs I own. The Pilot 742FA has been a huge disappointment and in a class by itself. Of the lot, the Yamanaka is the most all-purpose pen. Silky Purple is so perfect for it that I will have to buy a bottle soon since the sample is almost gone. Have you found an ink that is outstanding with the SM nib?

A certified Inkophile

Ok i stand corrected its only available in black in black is only available in sf...

The SF is much more narrow than the SM. It is amazing how different the two nibs are.

A certified Inkophile

Which Pilot soft nib? The Yamanaka SM did not require breaking-in like the Namiki Falcon SF nibs I own. The Pilot 742FA has been a huge disappointment and in a class by itself. Of the lot, the Yamanaka is the most all-purpose pen. Silky Purple is so perfect for it that I will have to buy a bottle soon since the sample is almost gone. Have you found an ink that is outstanding with the SM nib?

I have a couple Falcons currently in my collection and I wouldn't say that either required breaking in. I haven't tried a FA, but I know you aren't alone in being disappointed by it. Perhaps my favorite soft Pilot nib (or at least equal to my Falcons) is the SFM that I have in a CH 92 (originally from a CH 91). It, like the Platinum SM, isn't truly semi-flex, but the tines will still open up with little effort. I can tell when I'm using both the Platinum SM and the Pilot SFM that I'm using a soft nib even when I'm not pushing a little to get some line variation. I couldn't say the same for the one SF Platinum nib I tried. I've only used Platinum pigment inks with my SM nibbed pens; Blue and Sepia. I've been satisfied with both inks.

~ George Orwell

though I did like my Pilot SM on a CH91... my only problem is that I dropped the pen twice and then it started leaking in the section <_<

Ouch!

A certified Inkophile

I have a couple Falcons currently in my collection and I wouldn't say that either required breaking in. I haven't tried a FA, but I know you aren't alone in being disappointed by it. Perhaps my favorite soft Pilot nib (or at least equal to my Falcons) is the SFM that I have in a CH 92 (originally from a CH 91). It, like the Platinum SM, isn't truly semi-flex, but the tines will still open up with little effort. I can tell when I'm using both the Platinum SM and the Pilot SFM that I'm using a soft nib even when I'm not pushing a little to get some line variation. I couldn't say the same for the one SF Platinum nib I tried. I've only used Platinum pigment inks with my SM nibbed pens; Blue and Sepia. I've been satisfied with both inks.

Did you find the Falcons improved with age? Two of mine have become softer with use.

Several years ago I had a Custom 74 SFM. It never became a favorite and was sent off to a new home. Perhaps I gave up too soon on it.

I have Pigment Blue in a Platinum Nice Pur B. They are very contented mates. Must try the Sepia, but haven't decided on a pen for it. Perhaps the Nice when it is time for a new ink. The Pigment inks have been a surprise. I really didn't expect to like them as much as I do and they do work well with Platinum pens. No clogging or any issues whatsoever. Have they worked as well for you?

A certified Inkophile

Did you find the Falcons improved with age? Two of mine have become softer with use.

Several years ago I had a Custom 74 SFM. It never became a favorite and was sent off to a new home. Perhaps I gave up too soon on it.

I have Pigment Blue in a Platinum Nice Pur B. They are very contented mates. Must try the Sepia, but haven't decided on a pen for it. Perhaps the Nice when it is time for a new ink. The Pigment inks have been a surprise. I really didn't expect to like them as much as I do and they do work well with Platinum pens. No clogging or any issues whatsoever. Have they worked as well for you?

I don't think I've noticed any change in my Falcons; but with so many pens, perhaps I haven't used them enough. ;)

It could be your 74's SFM wasn't as soft as mine. There is clearly variance in nibs.

Yes, the pigment inks have been great; no performance issues at all. I am (or have tried to be) careful to not leave them in a pen too long.

~ George Orwell

I don't think I've noticed any change in my Falcons; but with so many pens, perhaps I haven't used them enough. ;)

It could be your 74's SFM wasn't as soft as mine. There is clearly variance in nibs.

Yes, the pigment inks have been great; no performance issues at all. I am (or have tried to be) careful to not leave them in a pen too long.

I've had Pigment Rose in a Preppy for months. With very infrequent use, it has had no problems and starts up instantly. Impressive product to be sure.

A certified Inkophile