What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

2 hours ago, Chinchy said:

It's Japan Yahoo auctions, which you can buy through a proxy service like https://buyee.jp .  I can't read japanese either, but luckily google translate can.

I learned about it from Reddit, which I linked below. They also have some samples phrases in Japanese kanji (?) that you can use to search.  There are fees and such, but often it's still cheaper than buying something comparable from ebay.  Not sure about what happens if there are issues though, as most of the items are "NCNR", or no condition no return or something like that.  But so far it's been okay.

Thanks so much for this! I'll be digging in soon. What a great resource.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Chinchy said:

It's Japan Yahoo auctions, which you can buy through a proxy service like https://buyee.jp .  I can't read japanese either, but luckily google translate can.

I learned about it from Reddit, which I linked below. They also have some samples phrases in Japanese kanji (?) that you can use to search.  There are fees and such, but often it's still cheaper than buying something comparable from ebay.  Not sure about what happens if there are issues though, as most of the items are "NCNR", or no condition no return or something like that.  But so far it's been okay.

Wow! This is great information, though I'm not sure I have time to go down this rabbit hole.  Thanks.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

23 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

Wow! This is great information, though I'm not sure I have time to go down this rabbit hole.  Thanks.

And I know I don't dare even consider it!

Just picked up an interesting bundle of pens from Yahoo Auctions. Cool Sailor and Pilot pens in particular. We shall see when they arrive!

In another forum in a galaxy far away, we have a thread going based on the most obscure brands people have seen. And, sure enough, when this thing popped up on eBay, I had to have it. FP, pencil and... some other thing, all in a wild celluloid, from the "Pen Company Brand".

I'll come back with a pic when they arrive...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Kind of an impulse purchase, kind of not.  I saw the pen a few weeks ago, when I bought some other pens, and had been thinking of going back for it.  Yesterday, I did go back....but the only one left had a broad nib.  The seller offered to order me one with a fine nib, but that just wouldn’t do.  I had to have the pen right away.  So against my better judgement, I bought the broad nib pen.  I paid the LE price too, which is pretty high...I know I can get a 3776 for much less, but I wanted one of the pink ones.  It’s a beautiful pen, but really, I prefer fine nibs.  I don’t even own a medium nib.  I have tried every ink I own in it, but mostly it’s just too...broad.  A little better on smoother paper, but still.  Kind of kicking myself today, because I really, really want a 3776 with a fine nib, which means now I’m going to have to buy another one.  Ugh.

7A8424CB-2541-4877-B495-5A439AE54969.jpeg

8 hours ago, Geslina said:

Kind of kicking myself today, because I really, really want a 3776 with a fine nib, which means now I’m going to have to buy another one.  Ugh.

Zhivago (screenname) just listed a 3776 Chartres (F) at FPGeeks for $85 CONUS. Not affiliated, but I've bought pens from him and recommend him as a seller.

As for impulsive purchases... This weekend would have been Pen Show Poland in Katowice, but the organizers had to resort to online-only. I saw posts on FB... and gave in to the temptation to buy a mint-colored Kaweco Skyline Sport... ballpoint.

I have plenty of fountain pens. Plenty of ballpoints and gel pens, too. Oh well. Finally, I couldn't resist the shape and color, justified the comparatively cheap purchase as supporting a Polish pen vendor, Twoje Pióro (I've been to one of their two stores in Kraków. Small and lovely place.) Was too late in ordering the KWZi Liquid Words 2021 PSP Special Edition -- sold out.

But a pretty ballpoint is on its way to me.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

12 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

Zhivago (screenname) just listed a 3776 Chartres (F) at FPGeeks for $85 CONUS. Not affiliated, but I've bought pens from him and recommend him as a seller.

As for impulsive purchases... This weekend would have been Pen Show Poland in Katowice, but the organizers had to resort to online-only. I saw posts on FB... and gave in to the temptation to buy a mint-colored Kaweco Skyline Sport... ballpoint.

I have plenty of fountain pens. Plenty of ballpoints and gel pens, too. Oh well. Finally, I couldn't resist the shape and color, justified the comparatively cheap purchase as supporting a Polish pen vendor, Twoje Pióro (I've been to one of their two stores in Kraków. Small and lovely place.) Was too late in ordering the KWZi Liquid Words 2021 PSP Special Edition -- sold out.

But a pretty ballpoint is on its way to me.

I saw the ad yesterday....such a great price, but unfortunately, I wanted the yellow gold, not the rhodium plated.  I was very tempted to say the heck with the cost, and order another Nice, in the lavender shade - but found a good price on a burgundy one.  I’m using the broad nib pen, and trying very hard to love it.

So with the Kaweco ballpoint, one can use any fountain pen ink cartridge?  I tried a JHerbin pen on Saturday that was a ballpoint, in which you can use a short international cartridge, it wrote very nicely, more like a gel pen than a ballpoint. It just wasn’t a very attractive pen, clear demonstrator, kind of cheap looking.  I do like the Kaweco Sport, though - might get a ballpoint one for work.

Well, the bundle of pens arrived, and it has exceeded my expectations! The first pen is a green Montblanc 22 in okay condition, it fills and writes beautifully but shows a lot of wear. The second is a vintage Pilot Elabo with an SB nib - nice pen. The third is the most special - a Sailor 1911L with what seems to be a Nagahara Sr. Emperor Fude de Mannen nib. I will be having fun playing with this one :)

I feel ashamed... My latest pen purchase was a Parker IM Blue/Grey Rollerball...

spacer.png

YNWA - JFT97

Instagram: inkyandy

On 4/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, Geslina said:

So with the Kaweco ballpoint, one can use any fountain pen ink cartridge?  I tried a JHerbin pen on Saturday that was a ballpoint, in which you can use a short international cartridge, it wrote very nicely, more like a gel pen than a ballpoint. It just wasn’t a very attractive pen, clear demonstrator, kind of cheap looking.  I do like the Kaweco Sport, though - might get a ballpoint one for work.

No, the Kaweco Sport ballpoints take only D1 refills. Mine arrived today, and since I had a few D1 refills, I'm using a Pilot Hi-Tec-C Slims 0.4 refill in it already. 

The pen is girthier than I expected and the facets might take some getting used to, but I'm eager to roadtest it. 

20210415_154014~2_resize_37.jpg

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

My last impulse buy is Bo Bo Olsons' fault. I found two pens very similar to his Rusewe Spezial and couldn't resist.

In fact, they probably are Austrian Rusewe pens from the 1950s, too. The inscription on the cap says "Jez" and they probably belong to a batch produced by Rusewe to someone's special order. They even share the striped ink window and the golden Bock nibs with the "Rusewe" marked pens.

Screenshot_20210326-121051_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20210416-021225_Gallery.jpg

10 hours ago, ethernautrix said:

No, the Kaweco Sport ballpoints take only D1 refills. Mine arrived today, and since I had a few D1 refills, I'm using a Pilot Hi-Tec-C Slims 0.4 refill in it already. 

The pen is girthier than I expected and the facets might take some getting used to, but I'm eager to roadtest it. 

20210415_154014~2_resize_37.jpg

Very pretty, I love the color.  Looks a lot bigger than the Kaweco Sport fountain pen.

6 minutes ago, carola said:

My last impulse buy is Bo Bo Olsons' fault. I found two pens very similar to his Rusewe Spezial and couldn't resist.

In fact, they probably are Austrian Rusewe pens from the 1950s, too. The inscription on the cap says "Jez" and they probably belong to a batch produced by Rusewe to someone's special order. They even share the striped ink window and the golden Bock nibs with the "Rusewe" marked pens.

Beautiful!  I’ve been cautiously scoping out vintage fountain pens on eBay, though I have no idea where to start and am very worried that once I do, I’m in serious trouble...

On 4/11/2021 at 2:58 PM, Geslina said:

Kind of an impulse purchase, kind of not.  I saw the pen a few weeks ago, when I bought some other pens, and had been thinking of going back for it.  Yesterday, I did go back....but the only one left had a broad nib.  The seller offered to order me one with a fine nib, but that just wouldn’t do.  I had to have the pen right away.  So against my better judgement, I bought the broad nib pen.  I paid the LE price too, which is pretty high...I know I can get a 3776 for much less, but I wanted one of the pink ones.  It’s a beautiful pen, but really, I prefer fine nibs.  I don’t even own a medium nib.  I have tried every ink I own in it, but mostly it’s just too...broad.  A little better on smoother paper, but still.  Kind of kicking myself today, because I really, really want a 3776 with a fine nib, which means now I’m going to have to buy another one.  Ugh.

7A8424CB-2541-4877-B495-5A439AE54969.jpeg

As a consolation prize for not liking the above broad nib, I ordered a 3776 with a fine nib and received it on Friday.  It’s very fine, smooth, not scratchy, and I’m happy with it.  However, I’ve been using the 3776 B and it’s really growing on me. I like being able to see the color of the ink better, and the broader nib seems more comfortable to write and to write neatly with for longer periods of time.  I’m really surprised to find myself enjoying it.

53 minutes ago, carola said:

Oh Goodness! Those are beautiful - there's nothing better to put a murky green ink into than a murky green pen!!

Is this impulsive? I don’t know, but I am very sure this will be my end-game pen. And please allow me to share you my unbox experience.

8681715F-71CF-4538-844C-52584822C1E4.thumb.jpeg.4ce82c1230dcca73825eff922c37283b.jpegE3E3E1B2-98E8-4997-856D-408F0846292B.thumb.jpeg.60aca8eb4eba3a7829f99eca31dfb770.jpegD4AD445D-E252-4EEE-AFFD-7BCE53B16450.thumb.jpeg.b96ca6a6b68049d3c59d505a8ec295a3.jpeg333F8CCE-28A7-4AF8-B225-5A7E6E6517B8.thumb.jpeg.7ca03e488370b8b4c2de8fed2a1a7f26.jpegF07FE5CB-98DE-41C8-8133-22F28DF54AAF.thumb.jpeg.76fd73b6b1c28ea4a4460ddfff125fac.jpeg

Montblanc Meisterstück No149. Skeleton in Ruthenium 90th anniversary fountain pen with Solid Rose Gold M size nib. 

Lovely pen. Thanks for sharing. Really a fascinating design and construction.

What is the weight and balance like compared to a regular 149?

2 hours ago, N1003U said:

Lovely pen. Thanks for sharing. Really a fascinating design and construction.

What is the weight and balance like compared to a regular 149?

Thank you, it’s abit heavier than the normal 149 but I wouldn’t say it’s much heavier due to the skeleton construction. Other Parton of art 888 I own is actually more heavier. However, I find it actually a tiny bit heavier than the skeleton 333 or maybe just the feel.  

I personally like post my pen especially on normal meisterstuck but I won’t risk to post on such an expensive pen. So if I am going to ink it, it will makes it a bit uncomfortable to me.

However technically speaking unlike the original 75th anniversary skeleton and the skeleton 333 or flag pens the 90th anniversary skeleton have its cap bottom in construct in metal not resin so it will not crack like a Hemingway even if you post the pen.