What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

2 hours ago, Detman101 said:

Pulled the trigger on this beauty for April.
20200706_151350-600x800.jpg
I don't know just when It'll ever arrive...but at least I know it's paid for and eventually on the way.
🤩

I've been eyeing Kirk's Secretary of De Flex nibs for a long time... congrats on your purchase! I only hear good things about these nibs. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

30 minutes ago, WLSpec said:

I've been eyeing Kirk's Secretary of De Flex nibs for a long time... congrats on your purchase! I only hear good things about these nibs. 

Thank you! I have been putting it off and putting it off...trying other nibs...only to come back to considering this nib. Time to put the pedal to the metal and GET IT!
I've gone with stainless steel because gold nibs are just too wet for my liking. I know I won't be able to get any modifications done on this nib by a nibmeister...but I don't think it honestly will need any.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Vintage Parker Jotter Deskpens, one with a refill with "Parker T-Ball Jotter" on the refill.

J0TPLPadDhaw0VLdohvbojmybRCF6w36PVi3V3SV

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Once there had been a man called David (figboot) who had something to tell ...

Now, look at what you have done to me:

810A0206.jpeg.8ef893df03b62279ff535065842a9b29.jpeg

And now I have something new for a small writing example:

810A0207.jpeg.aaaf8e2a61812552bdae6e0f95993a2b.jpeg

Thank you David!

It is such a beauty and writes like a Queen.

Edited by InesF

One life!

I saw the mention of Rotring fountain pens in a couple threads and did a search on eBay.  I stumbled upon the Renaissance.  Never knew of the pen but I saw one looking in great condition and took the plunge.  It's as pristine as it was in the pictures and what a fantastic pen!  I think that as with today, it's all about marketing.  This pen was produced in the 1980s.  Here are some photos (I put it beside a Pelikan M205 as a comparison.

820623793_renaissance-1.jpeg.2448aa5d832c4baba6e1f84208b26a70.jpeg

400283193_renaissance-4.jpeg.91fcd333aa53aa9c99187000e9d62fbe.jpeg

1812637402_renaissance-5.jpeg.e8450c720c120269da7e53dae12dafe8.jpeg

634093729_renaissance-6.jpeg.ba1999622ebdc9c98b6a9ba6f16af5a0.jpeg

1801088732_renaissance-2.jpeg.efcdaaa4e12ebf17212774ff64737206.jpeg

1809343983_renaissance-3.jpeg.47e702dcd9e8b5b4ddfaa79a6817b4e6.jpeg

The nib tines needed to be aligned and once I dealt with that, it's writing very well indeed.  It's a piston filler with an ink window akin to those of Montblanc's.  It's a light pen and super balanced once posted.  It's amazing that it went out of production... the power of marketing, advertising and the momentum of an established user-base.... or lack thereof.  :wallbash:

1 hour ago, maclink said:

I saw the mention of Rotring fountain pens in a couple threads and did a search on eBay.  I stumbled upon the Renaissance.  Never knew of the pen but I saw one looking in great condition and took the plunge.  It's as pristine as it was in the pictures and what a fantastic pen!  I think that as with today, it's all about marketing.  This pen was produced in the 1980s.  Here are some photos (I put it beside a Pelikan M205 as a comparison.

820623793_renaissance-1.jpeg.2448aa5d832c4baba6e1f84208b26a70.jpeg

400283193_renaissance-4.jpeg.91fcd333aa53aa9c99187000e9d62fbe.jpeg

1812637402_renaissance-5.jpeg.e8450c720c120269da7e53dae12dafe8.jpeg

634093729_renaissance-6.jpeg.ba1999622ebdc9c98b6a9ba6f16af5a0.jpeg

1801088732_renaissance-2.jpeg.efcdaaa4e12ebf17212774ff64737206.jpeg

1809343983_renaissance-3.jpeg.47e702dcd9e8b5b4ddfaa79a6817b4e6.jpeg

The nib tines needed to be aligned and once I dealt with that, it's writing very well indeed.  It's a piston filler with an ink window akin to those of Montblanc's.  It's a light pen and super balanced once posted.  It's amazing that it went out of production... the power of marketing, advertising and the momentum of an established user-base.... or lack thereof.  :wallbash:

What a nice pen! Just my size. Which is probably one reason why it went out of production -- small, mid-priced pens are not big sellers, the market is for larger fatter pens, for many reasons. 

On 3/30/2021 at 12:23 AM, JonSzanto said:

I had mentioned this earlier but didn't want to jinx until it arrived. These are some of the auction photos, will take pics after restoration. I saw this pop up for sale as I was browsing online and I moved very quickly.

I'm very happy to have received a one-owner (essentially) Sheaffer set from the first generation of the Balance line, all in the new (then) finish of Black and Pearl. The set includes an Oversize Lifetime fountain pen, two different model/size pencils, and... a penknife! None of my research so far shows this as an actual Sheaffer product, so I am uncertain if it was the owner finding the match or cross-marketing or ?? Anyway, it's a perfect material match and a cool addition.

The best part was asking the seller for a bit of background: it turns out the set was purchased by her grandparents new, handed down to their children, who now are elderly and their children (seller) are helping them downsize. It has always been in the desk of the family at home, and I'm really happy to be giving a new home. 
spacer.png
spacer.png

What a beautiful set! Well found.

It's not with me yet, but this beautiful Waterman Concorde I missed buying a month or so ago went on sale last night by the current owner. :)

Tracking shows the vintage Esterbrook J in blue with 2314-B nib will arrive Saturday. 

Posted Image

Ordered a Narwhal Schyuylkill in Rockfish Red yesterday because I've been considering  the pen and I wanted the sticker and April 1st discount from "Pen Shelley".

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Oops. A bit of finger slippage on a vintage Kaweco Sport 12 (the open nib piston filled version). I've wanted one for ages and have promised myself I won't buy any more pens .... today.

My batch of impulse purchases from Japan auctions arrived not too long ago...

From top left to bottom right:

Pilot custom 823, smoke, M

Pilot custom 74, SM

Pilot Cavalier ballpoints

NOS Ban ei inkdropper, with Ginjiro Kabutogi nib.

Pilot custom Impressions, Gray, F

Ohashido chased ebonite

Pilot vintage capless stripe

Pilot VP decimo emerald green, F

JapanBundle.jpg

Just ordered the new Parker 51 burgundy and 51 deluxe plum from Vanness Pens, eagerly awaiting their arrival!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

13 minutes ago, PAKMAN said:

Just ordered the new Parker 51 burgundy and 51 deluxe plum from Vanness Pens, eagerly awaiting their arrival!

Congratulations 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

9 hours ago, maclink said:

Quite the haul you got there.  We need a thread for impulsive pens acquisition.  How many purchase pens in batches as @Chinchy.

I'm making up for lost time away from the hobby.  I found Japan auctions, and there are more pens available there than on ebay, so I just batch them up and then have the proxy shipper send them all to me.  So that means that even though I buy the pens at various times, it's like waiting for a monthly paycheck, since I might not receive them for a month...

On 4/3/2021 at 3:55 PM, Chinchy said:

I'm making up for lost time away from the hobby.  I found Japan auctions, and there are more pens available there than on ebay, so I just batch them up and then have the proxy shipper send them all to me.  So that means that even though I buy the pens at various times, it's like waiting for a monthly paycheck, since I might not receive them for a month...

Those are some beautiful pens! I'm not familiar with Japan auctions--which site is that?

17 hours ago, rkesey said:

Those are some beautiful pens! I'm not familiar with Japan auctions--which site is that?

Ditto!  I don't read Japanese, though.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

On 4/4/2021 at 6:41 PM, rkesey said:

It's Japan Yahoo auctions, which you can buy through a proxy service like https://buyee.jp .  I can't read japanese either, but luckily google translate can.

I learned about it from Reddit, which I linked below. They also have some samples phrases in Japanese kanji (?) that you can use to search.  There are fees and such, but often it's still cheaper than buying something comparable from ebay.  Not sure about what happens if there are issues though, as most of the items are "NCNR", or no condition no return or something like that.  But so far it's been okay.