What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

16 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I just gave the same Pelikan to my daughter for her 18th and have now spotted it on amazon for a really good price, so I might have to have one myself. It is pretty...

Of course, after I read that I just had to go to Amazon to check the price ........... it's almost too good to resist.  

I'm currently reminding myself sternly that small and light pens don't really work for me ......... but as you said, it's so pretty ...... maybe it'll have sold out by the time I next look to see if it's still available.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Yes, the pastel green - they've got it for the equivalent of under US$100, which might be hard to resist for much longer.

I think your seller's idea is brilliant - and very sensible given the uncertainties we now live with. I still wish there was a b&m store I could go to though. Even just occasionally to get more of a 'feel' for things I'm coveting online! 

Luckily, most of my pens are vintage, and I quite like the gamble of buying them online and seeing what turns up. ;)

Just checked on Amazon and now the minimum price is $189.00 - not so great in my opinion!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Decided to try a Waterman Hemisphere - been doing 'the rounds' on the modern offerings of the old guards.  This Hemisphere was a disappointment and I wouldn't recommend it.  The Sheaffer Prelude is a lot better.

On impulse, in the true sense, I just ordered the Pelikan M205 with Petrol-marbled finish.

3 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Just checked on Amazon and now the minimum price is $189.00 - not so great in my opinion!

€82.55 on Amazon.de, including shipping and taxes. M nib. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

A full size Sheaffer flat top in jade green. It has the usual discoloration, but I'm amazed how smooth it writes for a 90+ year old pen.

20210314_082210.jpg

1 minute ago, br549 said:

A full size Sheaffer flat top in jade green.

Congratulations on a nice find!

I don't ever break up, abandon, or ruin a good, restorable Sheaffer pen from this era, Jade or not, but I actively seek out these nibs. I have a number of FT from this period that are in my "exceptional and used" stable, but if I find badly damaged pens that have good nibs I snap them up, either to install in other Sheaffers that need them, and also to host them in new pens. I love these smooth, hard nails to write for hours on end, either in a wonderful original Sheaffer or in some newer pen. They are my favorites, and congratulations on your pen. It will serve you for years if you like!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

1 minute ago, JonSzanto said:

Congratulations on a nice find!

I don't ever break up, abandon, or ruin a good, restorable Sheaffer pen from this era, Jade or not, but I actively seek out these nibs. I have a number of FT from this period that are in my "exceptional and used" stable, but if I find badly damaged pens that have good nibs I snap them up, either to install in other Sheaffers that need them, and also to host them in new pens. I love these smooth, hard nails to write for hours on end, either in a wonderful original Sheaffer or in some newer pen. They are my favorites, and congratulations on your pen. It will serve you for years if you like!

Thank you. This was one of my "holy grail" pens, along with a recently  acquired Parker 51. I'd been wanting one for quite some time and I was fortunate to find one in my price range that already had a new sac installed. I could have done the restoration my self, but the price was right.

1 hour ago, br549 said:

Thank you. This was one of my "holy grail" pens...

Use it / wear it in good health! My tribute to the venerable Flat Top:

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Not a pen but I finally ordered a 30-pen wooden display case, to be filled mostly with Pelikans.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 3/17/2021 at 10:17 PM, Driften said:

The other day I pre-ordered the Leonardo Grande Momento Zero Pura in blue aqua with ruthenium trim. I blame Figboot for his YouTube review! 

Sorry...not sorry. 😂

I had mentioned this earlier but didn't want to jinx until it arrived. These are some of the auction photos, will take pics after restoration. I saw this pop up for sale as I was browsing online and I moved very quickly.

I'm very happy to have received a one-owner (essentially) Sheaffer set from the first generation of the Balance line, all in the new (then) finish of Black and Pearl. The set includes an Oversize Lifetime fountain pen, two different model/size pencils, and... a penknife! None of my research so far shows this as an actual Sheaffer product, so I am uncertain if it was the owner finding the match or cross-marketing or ?? Anyway, it's a perfect material match and a cool addition.

The best part was asking the seller for a bit of background: it turns out the set was purchased by her grandparents new, handed down to their children, who now are elderly and their children (seller) are helping them downsize. It has always been in the desk of the family at home, and I'm really happy to be giving a new home. 
spacer.png
spacer.png

~ Benjamin Franklin

On 3/9/2021 at 3:39 AM, Geslina said:

I love that Stellar Blue!

On 3/9/2021 at 4:22 AM, A Smug Dill said:

I think the marketing images make the colour look more (alluringly) blue-grey, when in reality it looks more like a pale/baby blue. I guess I'll find out if that is actually the case soon,

My Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini arrived today. Trepidatiously — and not helped by having received a few other items from different sellers earlier this morning, including something from Amazon that was both damaged (most likely at the production facility in Germany, instead of during transit from the UK) and not fit for purpose even if it weren't damaged — I unboxed it, and phew! To my relief, the colour appears more muted than bright… at least under (either natural or artificial) diffused light.

I found out just how difficult it is to get the colour right in a photo. Three separate shots:

large.1655402954_WhatcolourisStellarBluereally.jpg.fd8824d857a98fc93e3dca52498a0d47.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:26 AM, JonSzanto said:

Use it / wear it in good health! My tribute to the venerable Flat Top:

spacer.png

😀😀😀👍

6 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

I had mentioned this earlier but didn't want to jinx until it arrived. These are some of the auction photos, will take pics after restoration. I saw this pop up for sale as I was browsing online and I moved very quickly.

I'm very happy to have received a one-owner (essentially) Sheaffer set from the first generation of the Balance line, all in the new (then) finish of Black and Pearl. The set includes an Oversize Lifetime fountain pen, two different model/size pencils, and... a penknife! None of my research so far shows this as an actual Sheaffer product, so I am uncertain if it was the owner finding the match or cross-marketing or ?? Anyway, it's a perfect material match and a cool addition.

The best part was asking the seller for a bit of background: it turns out the set was purchased by her grandparents new, handed down to their children, who now are elderly and their children (seller) are helping them downsize. It has always been in the desk of the family at home, and I'm really happy to be giving a new home. 
spacer.png
spacer.png

Holy smokes, that's a beautiful set, I am absolutely delighted for you! What a great find. That penknife is so similar in color, it looks as if the previous owner of the set had it custom made. 

I too love to find out the history of a vintage pen when I acquire it. So far,  that's only happened to me once, with a Pelikan 140. All my other vintage pens were bought from collectors who themselves were second, third, fourth, twenty-sixth owner or mere eBay sellers who just buy and sell. They hardly ever seem to know where the pen came from. 

Congrats! 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

12 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

spacer.png
spacer.png

So pretty!

14 hours ago, figboot said:

Sorry...not sorry. 😂

I'm not sorry! I would have missed out on such a nice model if you hadn't reviewed it. I checked and my pre-order should ship out this week.

11 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

large.1655402954_WhatcolourisStellarBluereally.jpg.fd8824d857a98fc93e3dca52498a0d47.jpg

So which of the six most accurately reflects the color?  I love Sailors, but think the minis might be too short for my taste, even posted.  Lovely pen, though.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

19 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

So which of the six most accurately reflects the color?

It depends on the lighting conditions. Most of the time, somewhere between the top left and the top centre.

20 minutes ago, essayfaire said:

I love Sailors, but think the minis might be too short for my taste, even posted.

I don't usually post the caps on my pens when writing, except with pocket pens including the Sailor Professional Gear Slim Mini; and I find the PGSM incredibly comfortable to use with the cap posted, more so than the Pro Gear Slim (with or without posting the cap). That is the reason why I chose to hunt down a third PGSM in the first-release colours, even though I wasn't so sure about the Stellar Blue, instead of prettier (and more readily available) Night Blue one in the second-release colours; I'm happier with posting the cap when the barrel finial is threaded specifically for it. (The design of the PGSM has changed slightly for the second-release colours, and the barrel finial is not threaded.)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Pulled the trigger on this beauty for April.
20200706_151350-600x800.jpg
I don't know just when It'll ever arrive...but at least I know it's paid for and eventually on the way.
🤩

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg