What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

54 minutes ago, rkesey said:

After a snap (but long-contemplated) Franklin-Christoph purchase (picture below--Model 31 Omnis, antique glass finish, medium cursive italic nib), I've been trying so hard to be good, but then I threw out a cheap bid on a cool Underwood that looks to be from the 1940s, give or take--I have this weird fascination with pens by pen-adjacent companies, and have had good luck with them so far--and forgot about it, until I found out I'd won. The nib is very soft and smooth, just delightful; the sac is long since dried out and the lever will need a little attention, but I'll post proper pics when it's out of the shop.

FC Model 31 Antique Glass.JPG

That looks gorgeous. I wonder if the acrylic is similar to the clear Pineider Avatar I had for awhile last year? I loved loved loved the thick glass-like material that gave the pen a little weight. Nice nib, too. 

Had to get rid of it, though, because it had a tiny metal section that I hated gripping. Too bad, as I would definitely have bought more colors of that model. 

I see yours does not have that issue. Beautiful design!

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, NumberSix said:

That looks gorgeous. I wonder if the acrylic is similar to the clear Pineider Avatar I had for awhile last year? I loved loved loved the thick glass-like material that gave the pen a little weight. Nice nib, too. 

Had to get rid of it, though, because it had a tiny metal section that I hated gripping. Too bad, as I would definitely have bought more colors of that model. 

I see yours does not have that issue. Beautiful design!

Thanks! Very much enjoying it so far. The acrylic is very nice, though I haven't had a Pineider to compare it to. The weight is perfect for my hand, anyway. No issue with the threads, and the slightly hourglassed shape of the grip is a pleasure to hold.

29 minutes ago, Aysedasi said:

A 'Vespa' green Aurora Duocart which I've just purchased from member Vicary.  Such a pretty pen.  On route as we speak.....

What a pretty colour! I've never tried a modern Duocart - do they write as well as the originals?

Looks like I'll soon experience a Pilot #5 14kt EF nib. Had to buy the pen to get the nib, which I have been wondering about for a couple of years now. So... is it really impulsive?

I'll put the nib in my Pilot 92, currently with an excellent F nib. I do like Pilot nibs.

Well, the PO and F. And Falcon/Elabo SEF. And SF. Don't have experience with the other sizes.

Except the one SU (stub) I bought second-hand that just, eh, doesn't work for me. 

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

What a pretty colour! I've never tried a modern Duocart - do they write as well as the originals?

I've never written with a vintage Duocart, but my son gave me the modern green one for Christmas and it's definitely one of my favorite pens! Really nice feel on paper and in the hand, and extremely reliable. It's my primary work pen where I need the pen to write immediately.

I got some money and what do I do? I visit nibs.com five minutes later and impulse buy a Nakaya 17mm Portable Cigar in Heki-Tamenuri... They are going to fit a B gold nib. I've gotten used to the Nakaya B nibs after having it on four other pens. I thought the standard gold would look nice with this finish... 

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Driften said:

I got some money and what do I do? I visit nibs.com five minutes later and impulse buy a Nakaya 17mm Portable Cigar in Heki-Tamenuri... They are going to fit a B gold nib. I've gotten used to the Nakaya B nibs after having it on four other pens. I thought the standard gold would look nice with this finish... 

spacer.png

That’s a seriously beautiful pen

3 hours ago, Driften said:

spacer.png

Hi Driften,

Beautiful pen... and this "cigar" won't give you lung cancer.  👍

- Sean  :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

10 hours ago, Aysedasi said:

A 'Vespa' green Aurora Duocart which I've just purchased from member Vicary.  Such a pretty pen.  On route as we speak.....

Hi Aysedasi, 

That's great.  Please let us know how you like it... I like minty greens, myself, but I shy away from Aurora pens because the two Ipsilons I have are very toothy - and their broads.

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

As far from the Nakaya as can be... :D I opened up eBay and one of the first pens that had just come online was this Packard, a 2nd- or 3rd-tier pen, to be sure, but the color of the wrapped celluloid looks very good and the interesting cap band and finial and blind cap treatment set it apart. It could use a new nib but I'm certain I have a couple of vintage to choose from that would fit. I have a hard time passing up pens like this when you can get them for a song.

Packard_01.thumb.jpg.a8864e508f744f3fb959bb341838ab22.jpg

Packard_05.thumb.jpg.1a4eb97d37cbd949d8aaaa903de06303.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

I'll let you know when it gets here!  I've been told it's a very nice writer!  :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

6 hours ago, corniche said:

Hi Aysedasi, 

That's great.  Please let us know how you like it... I like minty greens, myself, but I shy away from Aurora pens because the two Ipsilons I have are very toothy - and their broads.

I confess it's one of the things I actually like about Auroras.  My Ipsilon though is pretty smooth.  Loads of feedback on my vintage 88s.  

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

6 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

As far from the Nakaya as can be... :D I opened up eBay and one of the first pens that had just come online was this Packard, a 2nd- or 3rd-tier pen, to be sure, but the color of the wrapped celluloid looks very good and the interesting cap band and finial and blind cap treatment set it apart. It could use a new nib but I'm certain I have a couple of vintage to choose from that would fit. I have a hard time passing up pens like this when you can get them for a song.

Packard_01.thumb.jpg.a8864e508f744f3fb959bb341838ab22.jpg

Packard_05.thumb.jpg.1a4eb97d37cbd949d8aaaa903de06303.jpg

Now that's some seriously nice looking and out of the ordinary pen! Like it very much.

24 minutes ago, Nerdyhistorian said:

I bought a Pilot VP/Capless!

63792658458__0A5257BB-0BB9-410C-9442-35D343695E86.JPG

Nah, you got some nice red and yellow lines... ;)

I stood in line in mid-20°F temps this morning for an hour and a half going to an estate sale.  There were a few pens in some of the listing photos -- something that looked like it had a Parker clip, some desk pen, something that looked like a green Sheaffer Snorkel or Touchdown, and something that I could really only see the cap of but thought it might also be a Sheaffer.  

Well.  By the time I got in the door (about 45 minutes after the doors opened) I found that the desk pen was a BP, the pen with with the "arrow" clip was gone, and the green pen (I think it MIGHT have been a Touchdown, was in terrible condition (and seriously overpriced), and the "possible" Sheaffer was also a BP.  But....

There was a pen that HADN't been in any of the photos: a black 51 Vac with a rolled gold cap, in a (don't know if "correct") Parker box.  Now, the pen needs some TLC -- I don't know what shape the diaphragm is in, plus, somewhere in its life the hood ended up being removed and incorrectly replaced (the nib is about 90° offset from the opening in the hood :o).  Maybe a little pricy given that it's gonna need work (although I'm wondering if I can remove and re-install the hood myself).  And of course I really didn't need another black 51....  And yet... it just seemed to need a new home.... :rolleyes:  I have an SCA friend in the Milwaukee area, and another friend in the Ithaca, NY area, and both of them do this with spinning wheels: rescue them and get them back working again (the one in WI actually wrote a book on the subject -- I'd known her for close on a decade and it suddenly dawned on me: "Oh, you're THAT Karen Pauli!  I really need to bring my copy of your book to Pennsic for you to autograph!" :headsmack:).  Oh, and also in the box was a spare (and which looked to be in good condition even though I don't need one) Esterbrook 1555 Gregg nib.

I really need to stop doing things like this -- I have too many pens that need work/rehab done on them, and there aren't any pen shows at the moment.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I am rather new to fountain pens and have so far only been interested in modern FP's with functional designs and discreet colours. Got a Capless LS and a couple of CH92's. Yesterday i browsed around on some local auction sites and one thing lead to another. I have NEVER even glanced at vintage pens before and now I find myself waiting for a (to me) flashy, nondicreet almost 100 year old celluloid pen... 

Cant find much information about the pen. Apparently it is suppose to be rather rare?

It is an Orthos fountain pen. Anyone who can id it? 

Orthos.jpg