What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

10 minutes ago, Geslina said:

I have been eyeing that Vintage Green 45L FC, it’s very simple and elegant looking.  I got my first from them a week or so ago, the Blue Orchid 46, just their standard steel nib, fine.  It’s a really nice pen, smooth and reliable writing.  So tempted to buy another, but with their limited stock, and never knowing what will become available next, it’s hard to decide.  I am worried that I will choose and buy a pen, and the next day they will list one I like better.

I found it incredibly difficult to choose - I thought I wanted a 20 Marietta - which I love the looks of, but I have a pen with a similar style of nib setting - a #6 in a deeply recessed section, and I don't like it at all. Then I looked again at the 45s and realised that I was letting other people's prejudice against smaller nibs get in the way. I use small nibs every day - some of my favourite vintage nibs are tiny - and I like them. I nearly bought an extra nib unit, but decided against it at the last minute - it will give me an excuse to buy another pen later on if I like this one!

I came very close to choosing the one you got - but I had a new blue pen last month, and I've always admired the look of the vintage green. There's always next month...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven’t brought a pen since the start of last year when I went through a phase of picking up Parker 45s and also discovered the joys of oblique and italic nibs.  Anyhow, idly doing a search for oblique 45 nibs on Ebay last week I came across an auction for a Parker 65 with a broad oblique nib and am now trying to decide what ink to use in it first as I wait for the post to deliver it.

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard

Okay, I just bought a restored bright red "Utilitee" flat top on the bay. I am happy with it.

After I get my stimulus check and finish writing donation checks I may even have enough to be impulsive with!

Now let's see, there is the:

Food Pantry

The Public Library

Senior Center

Local Hospital

and more TBD

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

A real impulse buy... I wanted to get a bottle of Writer's Blood from Vanness and with their sale going on I ordered an Opus88 Omar Clear to go with it.

A Platinum 3776 Bourgogne SF. I own a Chartres Blue in medium, and I was curious about Platinum’s Soft Fine nibs

On 3/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, A Smug Dill said:

* The EF nib on my Edison Collier is finer than some of my Japanese EF nibs, very precise, and has more feedback — akin to writing with a 4H pencil — than most of my Sailor and Platinum nibs, so I take it not everyone else will enjoy using it as much as I do.

That sounds intriguing. What is your experience with how well the Edison Collier seals against drying out?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

14 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

What is your experience with how well the Edison Collier seals against drying out?

I don't know yet, and won't know for a few weeks. That uncertainty is the only thing that's holding me from ordering another Edison pen right now.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A Pelikan M600 Vibrant Orange M nib. I resisted mightily for a long time.It is lovely.

https://www.santini-italia.com/libra-safira.html

While not completely impulsive, I recently bought a Santini Safira with a Medium nib that writes on the fine side.  Like many fountainpens, pictures don’t do justice to the materials.  The blue is electric, contrasting beautifully with flecks of silver, black/navy, with Rhodium trim.  The nib is a lovely writer.

1 hour ago, Carrau said:

While not completely impulsive, I recently bought a Santini Safira with a Medium nib that writes on the fine side.  Like many fountainpens, pictures don’t do justice to the materials.  The blue is electric, contrasting beautifully with flecks of silver, black/navy, with Rhodium trim.  The nib is a lovely writer.

That looks beautiful :)

4 hours ago, Carrau said:

Mine wasn't completely impulsive either - except I ended up ordering two pens instead of the intended one pen.  It'll be a week or so before they arrive and your post has made me start to look forward to them even more than I was already.

I bought a couple of Kanwrite Heritages on Monday for some nib/feed experiments. They're such good value for money and very decent pens and they'll be with me tomorrow after travelling. 4.5 thousand miles. I'm still waiting for the stuff that was posted to me last Friday, first class, from about 35 miles away. 

Now I want to go and buy a Santini Libra. They're really pretty and I seem to have a thing for pretty pens at the moment. 

1 hour ago, christam said:

Mine wasn't completely impulsive either - except I ended up ordering two pens instead of the intended one pen.  It'll be a week or so before they arrive and your post has made me start to look forward to them even more than I was already.

What did you order?

Rec'd my impulse-purchased L2k BB, and I inked it up tonight with Iroshizuku Ku-jaku. I half expected it to be unusable, suitable only for playing with and maybe signing my name. 

But I love it! Maybe this ink is one of those perfect matches, or something, but this pen is in no way out of control. It lays down a lot of ink, but it's manageable even at my fairly small writing size. I am really enjoying writing with it, and now I am on the verge of another one in B - perhaps the stainless this time. 

The other day I pre-ordered the Leonardo Grande Momento Zero Pura in blue aqua with ruthenium trim. I blame Figboot for his YouTube review! 

2 minutes ago, Driften said:

The other day I pre-ordered the Leonardo Grande Momento Zero Pura in blue aqua with ruthenium trim. I blame Figboot for his YouTube review! 

I have not fallen down the Leonardo rabbit hole yet, but they tempt me sorely. . .

I want MZs in Blue Hawaii and Coral. 

1 minute ago, NumberSix said:

I have not fallen down the Leonardo rabbit hole yet, but they tempt me sorely. . .

I want MZs in Blue Hawaii and Coral. 

I have two MZ but this will be my first grande size model...