What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

12 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

Hey James, that's the Skyline, right? May I be so bold to ask how much you paid for this?

Yes, it's the Skyline. I paid $63, plus shipping.

James

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Yes, it's the Skyline. I paid $63, plus shipping.

I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal, if it has indeed been restored. Congrats!

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

1 hour ago, DilettanteG said:

Two new Pilot Parallel pens: the new pink and teal versions. I haven’t even bothered to ink them yet, I just really felt an irrational need to complete my set.

I am guilty of that too. It would have been better if they matched. :unsure:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

5 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal, if it has indeed been restored. Congrats!

Really? Thanks. It was an impulse (as required by management) so I didn't shop around beforehand. It was listed for $79 and had the "Make Offer" feature. In such cases, I knock 20% off; the seller usually accepts.

James

52 minutes ago, Manalto said:

Really? Thanks. It was an impulse (as required by management) so I didn't shop around beforehand. It was listed for $79 and had the "Make Offer" feature. In such cases, I knock 20% off; the seller usually accepts.

Really. I've been keeping an eye out for these on eBay but here in Europe the prices border on the ridiculous.

The version you've got there is the Executive Edition, which is a little less common than the standard or short ones. 
https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/eversharp-skyline-fountain-pen-rare-executive-size-black-w-striped-cap-extra-fine-flexible-excellent-restored.html

I see the regular version go on eBay for anywhere between 100 and 150$, if they're in good condition. The Executive ones are usually more expensive, especially if in good condition. Sometimes a seller goes a little overboard if the pen is restored, like here: https://ebay.to/3bKe4Zw

I'm thinking that the person who sold it to you didn't know very much about it. Should he or she have lied about the restauration, here is a little write-up on how to fix it yourself, with helpful pictures. Be VERY careful with the barrel as the plastic is quite fragile and prone to cracking. It is, after all, an 70 to 80-year old pen. My advice? Use it in-house. 
https://peaceablewriter.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/a-wahl-eversharp-skyline-repair/

Enjoy! 

PS: I'll have to remember the knocking 20% off the asking price bit.. :)

My other passion

5 minutes ago, Bikerchick said:

Really. I've been keeping an eye out for these on eBay but here in Europe the prices border on the ridiculous.

The version you've got there is the Executive Edition, which is a little less common than the standard or short ones. 
https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/eversharp-skyline-fountain-pen-rare-executive-size-black-w-striped-cap-extra-fine-flexible-excellent-restored.html

I see the regular version go on eBay for anywhere between 100 and 150$, if they're in good condition. The Executive ones are usually more expensive, especially if in good condition. Sometimes a seller goes a little overboard if the pen is restored, like here: https://ebay.to/3bKe4Zw

I'm thinking that the person who sold it to you didn't know very much about it. Should he or she have lied about the restauration, here is a little write-up on how to fix it yourself, with helpful pictures. Be VERY careful with the barrel as the plastic is quite fragile and prone to cracking. It is, after all, an 70 to 80-year old pen. My advice? Use it in-house. 
https://peaceablewriter.wordpress.com/2010/04/02/a-wahl-eversharp-skyline-repair/

Enjoy! 

PS: I'll have to remember the knocking 20% off the asking price bit.. :)

Umm... an Executive? How would you know that? I didn´t see any measurements mentioned anywhere and that´s (as far as I know) the only possibility to distinguish the three different sizes.

And I very seriously doubt you would get an Executive for that price anywhere, let alone in that condition.

6 minutes ago, carola said:

Umm... an Executive? How would you know that? I didn´t see any measurements mentioned anywhere and that´s (as far as I know) the only possibility to distinguish the three different sizes.

And I very seriously doubt you would get an Executive for that price anywhere, let alone in that condition.

As far as I'm aware, that maroon color was only available for the Executive version.

James, to settle this, could you measure the pen when you have a moment? The Executive should be 14.5 cms. Thanks :)

My other passion

I am not sure what colour the pen is (Black? Dubonnet Red?) but the cap seems to be a red and green one. That is a colour scheme you would get Standard sized as well (I have a Standard sized Dubonnet Red with red and green cap lying around on my desk here).

If by "maroon" you actually mean a brown pen like this:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/GORGEOUS-EVERSHARP-SKYLINE-AMBER-BROWN-BROWN-FIRM-14K-FINE-NIB/193898396999?hash=item2d253ebd47:g:xKgAAOSwKThgLUtt

you obviously get those in Standard size as well.

This is a price I would expect an Executive to go for:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/GORGEOUS-RARE-EVERSHARP-EXECUTIVE-SKYLINE-GREEN-RED-RED-FIRM-14K-FINE-NIB/114390667264

8 hours ago, DilettanteG said:

Two new Pilot Parallel pens: the new pink and teal versions. I haven’t even bothered to ink them yet, I just really felt an irrational need to complete my set.

What sizes are they?

2 hours ago, carola said:

I am not sure what colour the pen is (Black? Dubonnet Red?) but the cap seems to be a red and green one. That is a colour scheme you would get Standard sized as well (I have a Standard sized Dubonnet Red with red and green cap lying around on my desk here).

If by "maroon" you actually mean a brown pen like this:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/GORGEOUS-EVERSHARP-SKYLINE-AMBER-BROWN-BROWN-FIRM-14K-FINE-NIB/193898396999?hash=item2d253ebd47:g:xKgAAOSwKThgLUtt

you obviously get those in Standard size as well.

This is a price I would expect an Executive to go for:

https://www.ebay.at/itm/GORGEOUS-RARE-EVERSHARP-EXECUTIVE-SKYLINE-GREEN-RED-RED-FIRM-14K-FINE-NIB/114390667264

I meant the maroon and green cap, not the body of the pen.  But I stand corrected. Still looks like James got a good deal though. :)

The one in the first link you sent looks interesting. It's got the nib I want (a firm fine one) and the barrel seems ok (I can live with the scratches) but the cap worries me a little. The pen is restored though. And it's around the price I'm willing to pay for it. Would you shy away from it due to the cap or not? I'd be leaving a pen like this at home, not use it as an EDC, that's why the fountain pen gods invented a Kaweco Sport.

My other passion

7 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

As far as I'm aware, that maroon color was only available for the Executive version.

James, to settle this, could you measure the pen when you have a moment? The Executive should be 14.5 cms. Thanks :)

It's in transit, so I can't take a measurement yet. Here is the seller's description, which will also tell you that it's a sac replacement and not a full restoration. (Just over 5" - the measurement given by the seller - is roughly 13.5 cm., a little shy of the executive model measurement you gave.)

"You are buying an Eversharp Skyline in Burgundy with Striped cap. It is a standard size model just over 5” closed. The pen is in excellent condition with virtually no wear. No damage and no personalizations.

The best feature of the pen is the super smooth medium nib. It has no flex but it glides over paper.

I’ve replaced the sac and the pen tests well when filled with water. It has not been tested further and may need further tweaking by you or your pen repair professional."

http://rover.ebay.com/roversync/?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1614519180284

James

2 hours ago, N1003U said:

What sizes are they?

5_parallel_pen_a.jpg

Source: Pilot Pen

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

5_parallel_pen_a.jpg

Gracias!

The 3mm might be a very useful size for me.

7 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

I meant the maroon and green cap, not the body of the pen.  But I stand corrected. Still looks like James got a good deal though. :)

The one in the first link you sent looks interesting. It's got the nib I want (a firm fine one) and the barrel seems ok (I can live with the scratches) but the cap worries me a little. The pen is restored though. And it's around the price I'm willing to pay for it. Would you shy away from it due to the cap or not? I'd be leaving a pen like this at home, not use it as an EDC, that's why the fountain pen gods invented a Kaweco Sport.

If the pen is indeed freshly restored, in nice condition and ready to write, James got a VERY good deal!

As for the pen from the first link... well - and that´s strictly personal - I would keep my hands away from cracked caps. I tend to constantly notice the cracks, which bothers me, and I take my pens with me to work and about everywhere I go, so I need them to be stable.

The seller is a very nice guy, I have bought two pens from him before, a Parker 51 and an Eversharp Skyline Modern Stripe Red and he was really pleasing to deal with, very cooperative and reliable. I remember there was an issue with the Skyline he hadn´t noticed and he did everything to make things work when I told him, so everything turned out nicely.

What I would do? Contact him. Tell him what you are looking for and maybe he has something lying around he hasn´t restored yet.

4 hours ago, Manalto said:

It's in transit, so I can't take a measurement yet. Here is the seller's description, which will also tell you that it's a sac replacement and not a full restoration. (Just over 5" - the measurement given by the seller - is roughly 13.5 cm., a little shy of the executive model measurement you gave.)

"You are buying an Eversharp Skyline in Burgundy with Striped cap. It is a standard size model just over 5” closed. The pen is in excellent condition with virtually no wear. No damage and no personalizations.

The best feature of the pen is the super smooth medium nib. It has no flex but it glides over paper.

I’ve replaced the sac and the pen tests well when filled with water. It has not been tested further and may need further tweaking by you or your pen repair professional."

http://rover.ebay.com/roversync/?site=0&stg=1&mpt=1614519180284

Well, everything is there. The seller even calls is a Standard size and the Standard size Skylines are 5 1/4" long, which is about 13.5 cm.

Congratulations. You got a nice pen at a nice price.

8 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

5_parallel_pen_a.jpg

The new ones are the 3.0mm and 4.5mm. They have a white barrel, instead of grey.

parallels.png.3e4df1da1e1d6858854d26ec278a6882.png

14 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

They have a white barrel, instead of grey.

I think the barrel colour is going to be white even for new stock of the other four sizes.

The page at https://www.johnnealbooks.com/product/pilot-parallel-pen says,

Jan 2021: For a time the barrel color may vary. Pilot is changing the barrel color from gray to white.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I think the barrel colour is going to be white even for new stock of the other four sizes.

Not yet though. I ordered a 2.4mm a couple of weeks ago - after my new ones arrived - and it's grey. Old stock, I guess? It will be a birthday gift for someone here - I didn't think of it until after my new sizes arrived, or rather them arriving made me think it would be perfect for this person along with a book on hand lettering.