What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

46 minutes ago, HogwldFLTR said:

another Bexley; this time a Cappuccino!!!

That looks very nice indeed!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't had a chance to take pix yet, but on Saturday I found a vintage Duofold in an antiques shop.  Not sure of the size (the pen is roughly 4-1/2" long), but the nib is marked "Deluxe" and from the research I've done so far I think it's a later model Deluxe (3 cap bands) with the more streamlined section and blind cap, with the color being "Moderne Black and Pearl" (at least originally).  So I'm *thinking* it's an early 1930s Junior Deluxe.

While I was antiquing on Saturday (went to five or six different places -- plus one which wasn't open even though Google Maps said the hours had just been updated), I wasn't really expecting to find much of anything (the other pens in the case were junkers; and at one of the earlier places I saw -- but didn't look at due to the $45 US price tag -- some commemorative Sheaffer (thinking a No-Nonsense from the shape).  Although the tag did say it was a fountain pen....  

Had had hopes for the estate sale I'd hit first thing in the morning (especially given how cold it was yesterday morning) -- but some guy further ahead in line snagged what looked from the listing photos to be a Silver Pearl Vac and what might have been a couple of Sheaffer school pens; he left a Wearever and a couple of Esterbrook J series pens with nibs I didn't want; but from what another person at the sale said, the guy might have been a "picker" (and not specifically a pen person -- he left a partial box of Skrip cartridges in some color called "Deluxe Blue") -- the description was that the guy would grab a bunch of things, go look at stuff in a corner, and then put them back later.  (Admittedly, I pick stuff up to look at it, but *don't* walk away and put the stuff back then.). The cartridges are  pretty dried up (which may also be why the guy left them) but I may be able to reconstitute them with distilled water, the way I did with the cartridge on the school pen I bought a few weekends ago.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

9 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

That looks very nice indeed!

Thank you; there's a nice review of it on the site. I was lucky to get it for a good price as well. It's a Bexley BX802 as far as model is concerned. I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival!!!

-Lee

Edited by HogwldFLTR

On 1/29/2021 at 8:14 AM, mizgeorge said:

I really want an Edison in this colour - I think it's beautiful, but the Collier is just too big and haven't warmed to the Menlo for some reason. I wish I could justify the extra $$ for a signature version. 

I thought that way a long time. So long that there was a price hike. I finally decided to buy a C/C version in Molten Ores in the Beaumont version. I’m so glad I finally got it. It’s beautiful, with depth to it. It’s one of my top 5 pens. 

126C5135-8AF9-4C3E-A6EB-25F2E9B54F09.jpeg

Posted Image

14 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I thought that way a long time. So long that there was a price hike. I finally decided to buy a C/C version in Molten Ores in the Beaumont version. I’m so glad I finally got it. It’s beautiful, with depth to it. It’s one of my top 5 pens. 

126C5135-8AF9-4C3E-A6EB-25F2E9B54F09.jpeg

Gorgeous! I know I'm going to end up going for the signature version :)

Man oh man, my first post to FPN in years. Electronic health records tried, and nearly succeeded, at ruining my love affair with fountain pens. I’ve been cleaning the neglect away for the last week and it is a good feeling.

Had a Lamy 2000 forever but last evening I ran across a wonderful deal on a fine nib stainless steel version so that was my first fountain pen purchase in at least 5 years, maybe longer.....

Great to be back and to see some old familiar names and faces still here.

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

A c.1912 Onoto called to me the other day and I couldn't resist. It is the type with the over-under feed and one I've wanted to add to the collection for a while now. I think it will be my oldest British fountain pen to date.

W.S.P

https://www.dromgooles.com/narwhal-limited-edition-365-schuylkill-ebonite-fou.html

I received a Narwhal Schuylkill 365 LE in a dark red ebonite (the color of dark cherries, and similar to the material used in a Leonardo Rosewood Ebonite LE).  It is a difficult to photograph color.  It’s about the same size as a Lamy Safari, and feels substantial, weighing in at about 21g, with fit and finish as good as any pen I’ve touched.  It is a piston filler, with an ink window, and the steel nib was glass smooth out of the box.  The threads on the section are not sharp, and I don’t notice them when writing.  I like everything about it, especially at the price. 

After quite some time away from FPN and from buying/selling fountain pens as the world got hectic, I won an auction for an unrestored PFM II on eBay just the other day. I've been hunting for a PFM II for years, and to find one in the Burgundy color, with a Fine nib, and in decent condition for an acceptable price checked all of my boxes and I had to have it! 

I usually tend to only go for eBay or antique shop deals, and reserve much of my buying/selling for the yearly Chicago Pen Show - but with this past year's cancellation due to COVID, I feel like a bit of splurging isn't too bad. Can't wait to have the pen in hand - the only real question is whether or not to get it professionally restored. I've restored almost a dozen Snorkel fillers on my own, but none were quite as valuable as a PFM - decisions, decisions!

Montegrappa Miya 450 in yellow celluloid.  Sigh.  It's all the fault of that other thread in the Italian pens sub-forum .........

It arrived today and so far I've only dip tested the M nib, which is simply perfect straight out of the box even if it is a touch more fine than I normally like.  Now it's a case of, how long can I hold out before ordering a 1930 Extra?

7 hours ago, Carrau said:

I received a Narwhal Schuylkill 365 LE in a dark red ebonite...

Well, based on that review, my love for ebonite, etc, etc... I've just said goodbye to $80.00.

BTW: do you know if these pens are a friction-fit nib and feed, or do they have a screw-in unit? Your remarks on the nib are very positive, but I may also consider this to host a vintage gold nib if it is a good fit, etc.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

My last impulsive pen purchase was my Pelikan M800, easily the most I've spent on a pen thus far, though I saved a good amount of money buying it from Cult Pens. I don't regret it at all, is a beautifully made pen. Just needs the tines aligned so it's less scratchy.

Below it is my vintage Pelikan 400 that I bought on eBay back in November. Has a fine semi-flex nib that is a joy to write with.

PXL_20210205_003259011.jpg

This pen from ESS, because I want to try registrar ink and not ruin a good pen.  It is made specifically for registrar ink use. 

inkpenconvertor[1].jpg

37 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Well, based on that review, my love for ebonite, etc, etc... I've just said goodbye to $80.00.

BTW: do you know if these pens are a friction-fit nib and feed, or do they have a screw-in unit? Your remarks on the nib are very positive, but I may also consider this to host a vintage gold nib if it is a good fit, etc.

I'm pretty sure they have screw-in nib units

18 minutes ago, WLSpec said:

I'm pretty sure they have screw-in nib units

That does appear to be the case.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

That does appear to be the case.

I have one of their earlier pens (which I like a lot) and got it with a couple of extra nib units so that I can tinker with them and they were very straightforward screw ins. For the cost, I was pretty impressed with mine - it doesn't have a great deal of personality, but is well built and very reliable.

On 1/29/2021 at 10:40 PM, sansenri said:

The Collier is a very nice pen, in my opinion.

Slightly reminds me of the Stipula Etruria in shape. It is big but falls well in the hand, and possibly to do with the concave section, does not feel so big in hand.

All Edisons come with finetuned nibs and they usually satisfy first time to paper.

large.745877922_P1180846-3EdisonCollierAntiqueMarble.jpg.ca1d13e218e111ac8f7793137f3c9c00.jpg

What is the material of that Collier? It is a very attractive pen.

Last one? I'm busy planning the next one.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.