What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

4 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Mine was this beauty! Impulsively bought it Dec 10th and it finally arrived today! Montblanc 146 Bordeaux

598665406_Bugundy1464.thumb.jpg.bb226e9da24f75964037ae16d402af88.jpg

Sometimes you have to wait for the good things.Congratulations. Enjoy it.😃

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Mine was this beauty! Impulsively bought it Dec 10th and it finally arrived today! Montblanc 146 Bordeaux

598665406_Bugundy1464.thumb.jpg.bb226e9da24f75964037ae16d402af88.jpg

Nice impulse! Definitely worth the wait :)

Edison Pen Collier in Pearlised Juniper.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

16 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I really want an Edison in this colour - I think it's beautiful, but the Collier is just too big and haven't warmed to the Menlo for some reason. I wish I could justify the extra $$ for a signature version. 

Just inked with Edelstein Aquamarine in that Black and Gold W.Germany 18 K/750 800. It could have been mint. There was no drop of color, when I checked it for old ink. The little sticker looks mint.....

It wouldn't have bothered me had there been a tad of color in the water....I've bought mostly old used pens as is.

The next auction lot had had two other black and gold W.Germany 800's, so perhaps he didn't get around to using the OM.

:gaah:I seem to have developed a lighter hand than expected, in the semi-vintage OB wrote more like an F.................until I put a bit of pressure on it.

One of those very few posts where a nib writes thinner than expected instead the normal post of Fatter.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

57 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

What is your opinion of

1.) the Pearlized Juniper color, and

2.) the Edison Collier as a pen?

3 minutes ago, Bo Bo Olson said:

Just inked with Edelstein Aquamarine in that Black and Gold W.Germany 18 K/750 800. It could have been mint. There was no drop of color, when I checked it for old ink. The little sticker looks mint.....

It wouldn't have bothered me had there been a tad of color in the water....I've bought mostly old used pens as is.

The next auction lot had had two other black and gold W.Germany 800's, so perhaps he didn't get around to using the OM.

:gaah:I seem to have developed a lighter hand than expected, in the semi-vintage OB wrote more like an F.................until I put a bit of pressure on it.

One of those very few posts where a nib writes thinner than expected instead the normal post of Fatter.

Agreed. My W Germany 800 runs also narrow. I have never mustered the courage to see how far I can push it to be wider.

:doh:Dam, I forgot, the early 800's had their very own nib size, between the 400 and the once famous of narrow Waterman.

I have an old chart, from before Japanese hit mainstream; so it wasn't listed.

Conway Stewart was very fat , Parker much thinner, then Shaffer, then the 400's, 800's and Waterman.

Then the Pelikan EF was the thinnest of all.

How times change......:(

I wasn't pushing the springy regular flex,:angry: just reverting to my oft, American tiny hamhock Hand.

I'm no longer hamfisted. ....oft not real light handed.

I have to sweat to make one of my superflex nibs write XXF, think to make it write EF, and scribble merrily in an F.

I was in Garmish, Germany, learning to ski, and had a couple of hours until my train left. So ordered something in a local Gasthaus, that I had no idea what it was. Sweinehaxen.

Some 45minutes -hour later out came a crispy hamhock the size of a shot-put, with a knurdel (a dumpling) nearly the same size.

As an American I'd been use to baby pig hamhocks for seasoning beans......not a meal for two of a full grown pig's hamhock.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

1 minute ago, N1003U said:

What is your opinion of

1.) the Pearlized Juniper color, and

2.) the Edison Collier as a pen?

I don't have an opinion yet. The pen model, and in fact the brand, hasn't been on my radar at all until a few hours ago, and I've only just ordered it. Different images of the pen's body material show colours that are noticeably different in brightness; some are deeper and lovelier than others. My wife and I like teal and turquoise, so I'm confident we'll like the actual material visually, but I don't yet know whether the 'chatoyance' is going to look like sparkles from the afternoon sun falling on a lake, or more like tiny bubbles rising to the surface in the wake of something skitting across the water. 

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Just now, A Smug Dill said:

I don't have an opinion yet. The pen model, and in fact the brand, hasn't been on my radar at all until a few hours ago, and I've only just ordered it. Different images of the pen's body material show colours that are noticeably different in brightness; some are deeper and lovelier than others. My wife and I like teal and turquoise, so I'm confident we'll like the actual material visually, but I don't yet know whether the 'chatoyance' is going to look like sparkles from the afternoon sun falling on a lake, or more like tiny bubbles rising to the surface in the wake of something skitting across the water. 

Thanks.

Do report back after you have had a chance to look and try...the Collier has been on my radar for a while, but I have had other priorities. It seems interesting from what I have heard.

56 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Thanks.

Do report back after you have had a chance to look and try...the Collier has been on my radar for a while, but I have had other priorities. It seems interesting from what I have heard.

I have an Edison Collier and although it is really big, it is also extemely light weight. You kind of expect a lot of weight when you take a pen of that size in your hand - and then it´s like a feather. The main problem is fitting it in a leather case. I had to get an extra large one to be able to do so.

I got a 1.1 stub-nib in gold for my pen and it´s a nice writer.

A rather strange feature of this pen is its... umm... odour. People who enjoy the smell of new cars seem to get on rather well with the smell, I left it lying around disassembled for some months before really using it because my eyes watered. The smell still isn´t completely gone after 1.5 years, but at least it´s usable.

I can´t tell you anything about the Pearlized Juniper though as mine is a Persimmon Swirl. That material is a beauty and looking exactly like in the pictures.

2 minutes ago, carola said:

A rather strange feature of this pen is its... umm... odour. People who enjoy the smell of new cars seem to get on rather well with the smell, I left it lying around disassembled for some months before really using it because my eyes watered. The smell still isn´t completely gone after 1.5 years, but at least it´s usable.

That is what heated/slightly melted acrylic resin smells like.

Edison pens are machined out of solid material, and the machining/cutting process involves quite a bit of friction, and the material can get hot sometimes. I have a few Edisons, and most of them are OK, but in particular a couple that still almost knock me over when I open them to clean or refill. My worst offender is a Cobalt Flake Extended Mina. The smell does abate with time, but yes, it can be, um, powerful. The Mina still stinks after almost two years, but now only when it is open.

The Persimmon Swirl is another color that always attracts my attention.

The Collier is a very nice pen, in my opinion.

Slightly reminds me of the Stipula Etruria in shape. It is big but falls well in the hand, and possibly to do with the concave section, does not feel so big in hand.

All Edisons come with finetuned nibs and they usually satisfy first time to paper.

large.745877922_P1180846-3EdisonCollierAntiqueMarble.jpg.ca1d13e218e111ac8f7793137f3c9c00.jpg

A Luoshi cigar-shaped fountain pen for only 6 dollars and change. Not the best brand by many reviews, but I had a prepaid giftcard with a few dollars left that had to be used before it expired. 

I'm watching the tracking for Pilot Parallel pens in the new sizes - 3.0mm and 4.5mm.

And traveling with them - and the thing which prompted the order - is a Japanese watercolour set - Boku-undo e-sumi - Shadow Blacks. Finally! It's been a long wait and my 4th attempt to get them - this time from an Australian store.

:happyberet:

Will work for pens... :unsure:

On 1/30/2021 at 11:50 AM, joesricj said:

I just had to have them.  Rarely seen and so lovely😊 

B8251515-C164-48D6-BDA3-66E5ABBC54AA.jpeg

Oh my those are beautiful!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

On 1/29/2021 at 4:40 PM, sansenri said:

The Collier is a very nice pen, in my opinion.

Slightly reminds me of the Stipula Etruria in shape. It is big but falls well in the hand, and possibly to do with the concave section, does not feel so big in hand.

All Edisons come with finetuned nibs and they usually satisfy first time to paper.

large.745877922_P1180846-3EdisonCollierAntiqueMarble.jpg.ca1d13e218e111ac8f7793137f3c9c00.jpg

That's a lovely pen, wow.

Purchased on ebay for a good price, another Bexley; this time a Cappuccino!!!

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by HogwldFLTR