What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

24 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

A favorite pen of mine, being of generous girth but not heavy and well-balanced. One pen, that was made from a semi-transparent patterned material, now sports a custom made ink tank that allows it to look like eye-droppered demonstrator without fear of staining the barrel or leaks; another is a very regular writer for me, having become the host for a wonderful big Sheaffer nib from the 1920s. The workmanship on these pens is really high, and it is nice to have a small part of American pen history.

spacer.png

The one I have coming is translucent; I'm curious about the custom made ink tank and how you accomplished that? The one you shows looks a lot like the Montblanc Hemmingway, lovely looking!!! 

-Lee

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, HogwldFLTR said:

The one I have coming is translucent; I'm curious about the custom made ink tank and how you accomplished that? The one you shows looks a lot like the Montblanc Hemmingway, lovely looking!!! 

Yeah, it's pretty Hemi-esque without the high-end baggage. ;)

The bore of the interior of the barrels is really generous and I kept thinking I might find some plexiglass tubing that would fit. I certainly did. In a perfect world I would continue for other sources (different wall thickness, etc) because this could hold a lot more if the plexi was a bit thinner.  Anyway, I cut the end off of e a standard converter and solvent welded to the tube, then plugged the back end with a rubber plug, which when set just right snugs up against the blind cap, creating a good, snug fit. Both ends are invisible from outside the pen. Syringe filled. This was just a prototype, one day I'll do one with a very neat front end, but often when it works, I just run with it!

I've been meaning to take a photo inside the pen, but here is the ink tank:

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Yeah, it's pretty Hemi-esque without the high-end baggage. ;)

The bore of the interior of the barrels is really generous and I kept thinking I might find some plexiglass tubing that would fit. I certainly did. In a perfect world I would continue for other sources (different wall thickness, etc) because this could hold a lot more if the plexi was a bit thinner.  Anyway, I cut the end off of e a standard converter and solvent welded to the tube, then plugged the back end with a rubber plug, which when set just right snugs up against the blind cap, creating a good, snug fit. Both ends are invisible from outside the pen. Syringe filled. This was just a prototype, one day I'll do one with a very neat front end, but often when it works, I just run with it!

I've been meaning to take a photo inside the pen, but here is the ink tank:

spacer.png

Nice job; looks like it should look good in the pen as well!!

1 hour ago, mizgeorge said:

That's quite an impulse ;)

Just keep saying no to impulses. Day after day, week after week, month after month. Then one day .......... fpn_yikes.gif.e23581225d7e204b773d043f1e881d50.gif

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 1/23/2021 at 11:12 AM, HogwldFLTR said:

Nice job; looks like it should look good in the pen as well!!

Here's a very quick phone pic showing it in use. The pen material is a smoky mixe of tan/white/grey, with a lot of transparent areas. Ink in the tank is Iroshizuku Yama-guri, a dark sepia.

spacer.png

Edited by JonSzanto
Fixed error in ink name.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

A favorite pen of mine, being of generous girth but not heavy and well-balanced. One pen, that was made from a semi-transparent patterned material, now sports a custom made ink tank that allows it to look like eye-droppered demonstrator without fear of staining the barrel or leaks; another is a very regular writer for me, having become the host for a wonderful big Sheaffer nib from the 1920s. The workmanship on these pens is really high, and it is nice to have a small part of American pen history.

spacer.png

I have to admit that the engineering drawing interested me more than the pen.  Complex and nicely done, and the pen too.

21 minutes ago, zaddick said:

👍

All the Hakase chatter in the Summer wouldn't leave me alone.  It's above my pay grade, but I have no doubt it will make me smile, and not regret it for a second.

My last impulse buy was a Sailor Pro Gear Slim - Black/Silver with an MF nib, and two bottles of Waterman Serenity Blue (who needs that much ink?) :) 

13 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

All the Hakase chatter in the Summer wouldn't leave me alone.  It's above my pay grade, but I have no doubt it will make me smile, and not regret it for a second.

Your impulse wave length is quite long! Still you caved in at the end of a long struggle. 😀 My impulse peaked quite quickly and I gave in after a couple of days of seeing the Hakase discussions. Being a few months ahead of you, I have to say that the real danger is that you might have the impulse of buying another 20 pens while waiting for your Hakase. Good luck to you! 😜 Oh, congratulations!

I ordered late August. It was my last impulse purchase.  I will sell two or three of my existing collection. Older pens leave to make room for new ones.

16 hours ago, JonSzanto said:

Here's a very quick phone pic showing it in use. The pen material is a smoky mixe of tan/white/grey, with a lot of transparent areas. Ink in the tank is Iroshizuku Kyo-iro, a dark sepia.

spacer.png

That's the exact pen for which I'm waiting!!!

s-l1600.jpg

6 hours ago, HogwldFLTR said:

That's the exact pen for which I'm waiting!!!

Hey, all right! It's a very handsome material and Howard always does a great job on finishing. I think you'll really enjoy the pen. Congratulations.

~ Benjamin Franklin

13 minutes ago, JonSzanto said:

Hey, all right! It's a very handsome material and Howard always does a great job on finishing. I think you'll really enjoy the pen. Congratulations.

Do you mind me asking what inks have you tired in it and what works best? It should arrive tomorrow; I'm excited!!!

8 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I ordered late August. It was my last impulse purchase.  I will sell two or three of my existing collection. Older pens leave to make room for new ones.

So we would probably be getting our pens around the same time, June/July. I picked the same model but in rosewood, always wanted to wooden pen... I would have got a bigger size but it's already quite expensive, though it's big enough, it seems.

Most important is the paper.

Writing is 1/3 nib width&flex, 1/3 paper and 1/3 ink and in that order.

A long, long time ago, back when Lamy turquoise was the basis turquoise all were compared too, I tried it and nice color but sort of Blaaaaaa.

Then looking up in our Ink Reviews I saw (from two posters, that were then the only two threads on that ink)) it shaded on 90g paper.:yikes:

I had an Oxford Optic 90g, thin A5, school booklet a grand passed poster gave me, showing me some 20+ inks in the booklet. Using that booklet, on good 90g paper, Lamy Turquoise SHADED!!!

A whole new world opened up for me.....been chasing two toned shading inks ever since.

I suggest getting a ream or box of good to better paper for every three inks you order. Soon you will have a paper library. As long as you are not foolish and put the good paper in a printer, a ream of 500 sheets can last a few years, a box of 100 sheets, a year or so......when one has made it a habit to buy papers.

Stay far, far away from Ink Jet Paper; it is designed to absorb printer ink quickly so feathers with regular inks. Laser and  Ink Jet Paper, is a compromise..........some papers like Southworth is ok..........how ever pure laser paper is better.

Take some time and look in the paper section to see what good papers can be had where you live.

I know little about US papers.

Mohawk has a good reputation.

100&50% cotton swallow shading, will write in a wider line.

Do look up posts involving Shading inks.....there are very many good shading inks in all hues and shades.

Simple List OfShading Inks

My Next 50Shading Inks

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

2 hours ago, HogwldFLTR said:

Do you mind me asking what inks have you tired in it and what works best? It should arrive tomorrow; I'm excited!!!

I didn't notice if, earlier, you said what size (tip) the nib was, as that can sometimes affect what ink I use. However, the Bexley pens have good nib units in them, and I would expect pretty much any good, standard fountain pen ink to work well (I'm setting aside shimmer/glitter inks from this).

Mine was an M type and had a generous flow without being too wet. I had it for a couple months and then a year ago, at the LA Pen Show, I had Gena Salorino put an italic grind on it. I really love it this way and eventually settled on Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-guri, which is a chestnut brown with a hint of grey. I don't always try to go matchy-matchy but I like this ink for correspondence and it looks very nice inside the pen in that tank. The design of the section makes it easy to flush the nib and feed, so you can experiment with a few inks. Enjoy!

Edited by JonSzanto
Error correction!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Um, so yesterday was National Handwriting Day, and while my handwriting is not pretty I do write frequently.  Couldn't help looking at the specials for the day combined with special discount coupons... ended up buying a brown marbled Pelikan M200 B as I am looking to upgrade my pens that can take shimmering/sheening inks to make lines in planners.  I will retire some "tester" pens that I had been using, but I really have no excuse.  It's pretty and I know it will write well.  I will make sure to use it often so that I don't feel guilty.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence