What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

2 hours ago, meloizias said:

Last Impuslive Pen Purchase - Mont Blanc R Kippling Limited Edition Fountain Pen with Medium nib. My favouritye pen by far to date, writes beautifully and got quite a big pen it sits comfortably in the hand.

That's a beautiful pen if it's the one I'm thinking of; how about posting a photo?

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, meloizias said:

Last Impuslive Pen Purchase - Mont Blanc R Kippling Limited Edition Fountain Pen with Medium nib. My favouritye pen by far to date, writes beautifully and got quite a big pen it sits comfortably in the hand.

beautiful pen!

That is quite an impulse. The last time I bought a pen in that price range impulsively, I felt a different kind of impulse, from my wife, after she reviewed the household accounts.

7 hours ago, N1003U said:

That is quite an impulse. The last time I bought a pen in that price range impulsively, I felt a different kind of impulse, from my wife, after she reviewed the household accounts.

:lticaptd:

Which is why when a pen is going to cost more than $150 US or so, I ALWAYS give my husband a heads up FIRST.  

And yes, that includes the "When the new round of stimulus checks arrive, I'm buying a Sailor 1911S Wicked Witch AND a 1911S Loch Ness...."  And I think that if I order from Cult Pens, I might still have enough left over to also get a Pro Gear Slim Blue Dwarf because I won't have to pay VAT....  (Sadly, the first two, as North American Exclusives, aren't an option at Cult Pens).  

Of course I'm now ALSO wondering if I can afford a French Blue Lamy Safari (it's just that I HATE having to spend that much money, because after all I got BRAND NEW LE/SE Safari colors (Dark Lilac, and then last year's Violet) for the normal Safari price.  And, because of closeouts, ended up paying LESS than a Safari for both the Ruthenium LX and the Vibrant Pink al-Star....  So do I REALLY want to spend almost as much as I would for an older Pelikan M200 on a SAFARI? :o

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

11 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

1911S Loch Ness...."

I have Loch Ness, and it is purty🥰

I just took a chance on a Sheaffer PFM Mk 1 on ebay. It was about $50-100 less than most of the prices I have been seeing, so I can factor that in should I need to send it off the Danny Fudge for fixin'. (which I will probably want to do anyway, just so I know all the innards have been checked)

It'll be coming from Canada, so fingers crossed I get it within a few weeks. LOL

Yeah, when I saw pix of it I liked the look of it way better than Wicked Witch (which I saw in person up at Bromfield Pen Shop in early September).

But there's a part of me going "But, but, OZ!"  (The books, not the MGM movie, which I watched the other day for the umpteenth time....)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

edited for typos

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

A Lamy Scala in Dark Violet

An Opus 88 Koloro in Beige/teal

… and passed on getting a Pelikan M205 Moonstone yet again.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

13 hours ago, hh1990 said:

Today I bought an M805 demonstrator with a broad nib. Hopefully that quells the impulse for a little while...

Hope dies last. But I wouldn´t count on it. 😂

13 hours ago, hh1990 said:

Today I bought an M805 demonstrator with a broad nib. Hopefully that quells the impulse for a little while...

Thats indeed an expensive impulse. The consolation is that the disappointment will be only in the bank balance and not on the fine instrument. 

On 1/8/2021 at 9:26 AM, Detman101 said:

Nice acquisition!
I am considering picking up one of those pens, I like the shutoff valve and the fact that they are adult-human sized. Small pens stress my hands out.

It arrived and I'm trying it out this evening. It's not matte, it's shiny and smooth but it looks very nice so I don't mind. It *is* rather large - 5 3/4" capped (v. 4 7/8" on an M2xx/4xx) and about 1/2" thick on the barrel - so you should find it comfortable. It's larger than I'm used to I don't find it a problem in my initial testing. The nib has a little tooth but smooth enough. One minor niggle is it takes 6 full turns to unscrew the cap. Overall, I'm quite pleased and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

p.s. - The Diamine Monaco Red is a great match.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Yesterday I looked at a pen store newsletter and saw the Conklin All American Courage. After looking at photos and having pointless arguments with myself, I ordered the red one with a stub nib. My justification: I did not have a Conklin, a stub nib or a red pen. Three birds with one stone 😎 The pen has been shipped today. 

On 1/12/2021 at 9:46 PM, inkstainedruth said:

I'm buying a Sailor 1911S Wicked Witch AND a 1911S Loch Ness...."

How does the 1911S, actually in the hand, compare, size- and weight-wise to your M20x/40x Pelikans? I have had my eye on a new Sailor for a while, and I am wondering if a 1911S would work for me.

I bought sixteen fountain pens (of the same model!) today, because I had a brain-fart earlier this week. Does that count as impulse buying?

But I passed on a new Lamy 2000 Black Amber that I could have ordered for US$260; I hardly use my Lamy 2000 Bauhaus as it is, and I don't like its EF nib very much (for its architect's grind character, and just generally not fine enough), not to mention I still have a never-inked Lamy 2000 Makrolon that has been languishing in a drawer for at least a year since I bought it new.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I bought sixteen fountain pens (of the same model!) today, because I had a brain-fart earlier this week. Does that count as impulse buying?

Definitely! And, I guess, you now have a pen to go with each of your equally impulsive Smoky Quartz ink. ;)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

26 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

For me, impulsive has to do with a lack of foresight or previous consideration.

Were those 16 pens also the same color? If so, I would be curious to know the application, or if maybe there is some unusual sense of accumulation being considered here...

21 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I guess, you now have a pen to go with each of your equally impulsive Smoky Quartz ink.

:lticaptd:

I was actually going to ask you, last night, whether you've tested the blue Preppy-wannabe pen I sent you and, if so, whether you wanted any more, since I was planning on going to the only Daiso store out of the three around here in which I've ever seen it stocked. But then, I thought, I might not even be able to get the fifteen units (not all in blue) I wanted to get, so I should at least scout out what's in stock first.

There were none of the blue or the orange ones in stock. :( I scooped up all twelve of the light ‘sky’ blue ones it had, and two red and two pink ones. All the remaining stock now are red or pink.

(No, please don't send the blue one back to me. I wanted five for easier colour-coding of what I'm doing with them; but since I couldn't get any blue or orange ones, the light blue ones properly labelled will do just fine.)

4 minutes ago, N1003U said:

Were those 16 pens also the same color?

No; see above.

Back story: I want fifteen identical pens, that I can completely set aside from any other use for at least a full twelve months, for testing fifteen iron-gall inks. Obviously they have to be relatively cheap, and therefore will have steel nibs (that may become corroded over the project duration); and I'd want them to seal very well against ink evaporation all the same. Getting fifteen Platinum Preppy pens would not be so cheap, especially if I wanted to have them in hand and ready within the week. Then it crossed my mind last night that I had a ‘Preppy-wannabe’ from Daiso that has its version of the Slip and Seal inner cap I bought months ago but haven't yet taken out from its blister pack, so I dug it out, tried it, and it wrote quite well — at least as well as the Daiso-Hauser pen, actually — so it would be a cheaper and more immediately available solution, assuming they are actually in stock at my local Daiso. Still, my little shopping trip cost me close to A$50 today.

Strictly speaking, I only really needed to buy fourteen additional ones, but since there is some doubt as to whether Lamy Benitoite is actually a modern/low IG-content iron-gall ink by stealth, I thought I might test it alongside the other inks. And, with Daiso being Daiso, who knows when or even whether it'll restock the product, so I decided to pick up the last remaining light blue one as well as a spare.

It would have been nice if I could have five of the (darker) blue ones to house my five iron-gall blue-black inks on the list, and orange ones to house the brownish ones. Never mind.

7 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was actually going to ask you, last night, whether you've tested the blue Preppy-wannabe pen I sent you

I most certainly have! And use it and the grey one often. Neither of them have shown any tendency to dry out at all which puts to shame a great many much more expensive pens. (The summer here this year is as good a test as it gets.) They also have the cutest little nib, are pleasant to use and there's even a touch of softness for some line variation. They're gems and highly recommended.

I find the Daiso-Hauser pens do dry out and get clogged up, at least when I put Hero 234 carbon black ink and Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng in them. 😟 The one I've filled with Colorverse Vortex Motion is doing slightly better.

17 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I find the Daiso-Hauser pens do dry out and get clogged up, at least when I put Hero 234 carbon black ink and Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng in them. 😟 The one I've filled with Colorverse Vortex Motion is doing slightly better.

How odd. Are we talking about the same pen? Over here we are having such a hot dry summer I've had to clean out a lot of dried out pens that have been OK in previous years, yet these two are doing really well.

They're inked with Pilot Black and Waterman Serenity Blue.

daiso.png.daa04049bb650b412e5f7c4e9732f212.png