What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

I'm reasonably sure that my last impulsive pen acquisition has not yet occurred ... I'll report when it does, if I'm able. 

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A Mk2 Parker 51 in forest green. Presumably a 1948 or 1949 model based on the flaking, corroded chrome plating on the filler sleeve, but it could be a Franken-pen. Also a new-old-stock filler to replace the corroded one. 44.00 and change for the pen, plus just under 20 dollars for the filler. It was actually only about 19.00 out of pocket, the rest was covered by a gift card I had won at work 

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I ordered a red Opus 88 Demonstrator that caught my eye on eBay the other day. Of course, I spent some time looking for a suitable red to add to my order so I'd get both at the same time and ended up going with Diamine Monaco Red. (Tried to track down Bungbox Matador, to no avail.)

This will be my first eyedropper. It's apparently much bigger than I'm used to, with a big #6 nib (which, judging from the pictures, at least doesn't look grotesquely out of proportion with the body like the Conklin Duragraph); I hope it's not too big.

Opus88-Demonstrator-Red-1_800x.jpg

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

32 minutes ago, chromantic said:

Last night I ordered a red Opus 88 Demonstrator that caught my eye on eBay the other day. Of course, I spent some time looking for a suitable red to add to my order so I'd get both at the same time and ended up going with Diamine Monaco Red. (Tried to track down Bungbox Matador, to no avail.)

This will be my first eyedropper. It's apparently much bigger than I'm used to, with a big #6 nib (which, judging from the pictures, at least doesn't look grotesquely out of proportion with the body like the Conklin Duragraph); I hope it's not too big.

Opus88-Demonstrator-Red-1_800x.jpg

Nice acquisition!
I am considering picking up one of those pens, I like the shutoff valve and the fact that they are adult-human sized. Small pens stress my hands out.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

Thanks, I'll post back once I get it.

I just noticed that the one in that photo looks awfully shiny, whereas the one in the Goldspot photo looks more matte, which I hope is the case.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

Last weekend I went to an antiques store that was "new" (but had previously been in a different location, and it turned out I had been in their old location once or twice).  Picked up a Sheaffer school pen (translucent red barrel, two-toned nib marked "304" (which I believe means it's an F nib from the little I've been able to find out so far) and sporting a mostly dead Skrip Red cartridge.  Also picked up a previously unknown brand/model marked as Penatia, also a c/c pen.  The woman in the store said that her "pen person" knew more about it, and out from the back room comes a guy from my local pen club!  Dale said it was a sub-brand of Cross and takes International Standard (so I'll see if the cartridges of Edelstein Amethyst from the first Pelikan Hub I attended will fit).

No pix yet, because, well, it's been it's been a completely insane week (I'll say no more about that in order to not violate the rule about politics...).  I  tried to reconstitute the ink in the Skrip cartridge, but the syringe I had been using doesn't seem to working right, so I'll have to toss it and pull out a new one; I used the syringe without the needle and got a little distilled water in, just enough to test the pen and do a bit of writing.  I'll definitely prefer getting a converter at some point, though -- if for no other reason than I'm not a big fan of Skrip Red....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I'm foretasting the arrival of a jade green Aurora Internatzionale, hopefully by the end of the month. It is my first Aurora and fourth modern pen - would you believe it?

I've never got on with stub nibs, which is unfortunate as I love the effect on my handwriting. I had rather a writing renaissance though, having picked up a wonderful woodgrain Conway Stewart "Selfridge Lever" (step clip, c.1928) with an oblique nib and the rest is history...

Aurora are currently manufacturing a batch of oblique 18ct nibs, which will take roughly 2 business months. I ordered on impulse last black Friday, so fingers crossed I'll not have long to wait!

W.S.P

2 hours ago, WhiteStarPens said:

Aurora are currently manufacturing a batch of oblique 18ct nibs, which will take roughly 2 business months. I ordered on impulse last black Friday, so fingers crossed I'll not have long to wait!

I'm looking forward to reading about your impressions of the pen and especially the nib!  I love stubs but haven't tried an oblique nib yet.

I've just taken delivery of my first Aurora, an Optima with stub nib.  It didn't deal at all well with the first ink I tried but is flowing much better with some iroshizuku.  There's a tiny bit of scratchiness that I'm really, really hoping will go away as the nib and I get used to each other.

And on the subject of impulsive pen buys ............

I'd talked myself out of buying a Visconti, mainly because the one I like the look of is the Voyager 2020 and I couldn't find anywhere in the UK or EU where it was in stock.  Then I followed an email link to the Iguanasell winter sale and the upshot is a Visconti Medici (stub nib of course) will be with me on Monday.  In fact it should have arrived yesterday but took an unexpected day's holiday in France before Fedex sent it on its way again.  Iguanasell had the pen at 40% discount and I was able to use some reward points from 5 years ago when I bought a couple of watches from them, so the pen is coming to me at a total 46% discount.  I'm quite excited 😊 

5 hours ago, christam said:

I'm looking forward to reading about your impressions of the pen and especially the nib!  I love stubs but haven't tried an oblique nib yet.

I've just taken delivery of my first Aurora, an Optima with stub nib.  It didn't deal at all well with the first ink I tried but is flowing much better with some iroshizuku.  There's a tiny bit of scratchiness that I'm really, really hoping will go away as the nib and I get used to each other.

And on the subject of impulsive pen buys ............

I'd talked myself out of buying a Visconti, mainly because the one I like the look of is the Voyager 2020 and I couldn't find anywhere in the UK or EU where it was in stock.  Then I followed an email link to the Iguanasell winter sale and the upshot is a Visconti Medici (stub nib of course) will be with me on Monday.  In fact it should have arrived yesterday but took an unexpected day's holiday in France before Fedex sent it on its way again.  Iguanasell had the pen at 40% discount and I was able to use some reward points from 5 years ago when I bought a couple of watches from them, so the pen is coming to me at a total 46% discount.  I'm quite excited 😊 

I ordered the Internazionale from Iguana Sell and saw that Medici offer too!

From what I've read, the 18ct Internazionale nibs are a cut above the ones used on the regular Optimas etc.

My first oblique was a pure accident, I bought the pen not really having noted the point grade. It turned out to be a very pleasant surprise as my writing with a stub wasn't at all neat.

The Internazionale is not a pen I see discussed an awful lot, especially the green, so I'll gladly post an update...I wonder if any more colours are being released...?

Happy writing with your new Visconti, Christam!

P.S we'd love to see the Optima!

W.S.P

3 hours ago, WhiteStarPens said:

The Internazionale is not a pen I see discussed an awful lot,

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/353323-review-of-aurora-internazionale/

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A zebra fountain pen. Because I just want to try it out.

'The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became the truth. ' George Orwell

My most recent impulse buy wasn't a pen,  it was a 60ml bottle of Private Reserve Ultra Black ink. If we're talking FP's, it would be my 1949 Parker 51 in Navy Gray. Not so much an impulse purchase, but more along the lines of having a 50 dollar Ebay gift card and getting lucky on an auction.

My latest purchase was also not a pen, but ink.
Pelikan Edelstein - Aventurine!!
I had been looking at this ink since I started my fountain pen journey earlier this year and decided since I had an amazon request from the wife...why not add in a little "tag along".

I am pleased to say that this ink has dethroned:

• Iroshizuku - Shin Ryoku
  • Iroshizuku - Syo Ro
  • Monteverde - Malachite
  • Monteverde - Jade Noir

I mix it with a little "J.Herbin - Vert Atlantide" to give it a little darker hue in a 90/10 mix and it's perfect!
The ink retains it's shading and its flow properties and gets that nice darker Money-green hue of the "Vert Atlantide" mixed in.

Pure joy!

I'll be picking up "Pelikan Edelstein - Smoky Quartz" the next order that the wife requests on amazon hehe...
;)

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

On Saturday I went to a couple of antiques places east of Pittsburgh.  One I hadn't been to before, but they did have a few pens (just nothing I wanted/could afford/knew enough about).  The other was an antiques mall I've been to before: one of the booths has a bunch of mostly Esterbrooks (although no nibs I wanted at this point) and some inks, and also a bunch of packs of Fieldnotes notebooks.  It's the booth where I've bought a couple of Quink pins (one for Quink Blue and one for Quink Turquoise) that I have pinned to hatbands on a couple of hats).  On Saturday I picked up a bottle of a Birmingham Pens ink I wasn't familiar with (which was apparently part of a Massdrop special from a few years ago).  Just because.

Got our second round stimulus check deposited today.  So I've spent a lot of time over the weekend trying to decide what to spend my half of it on -- up to an including a pen that I've wanted for a while but have been balking at the price (a limited edition color that is no longer available, and I'm loathe to buy into the hype that the color makes it more "valuable" somehow.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

An Edison Pearlette in "fingerpaint". I read that they were discontinuing the Pearlette, and I've always hankered for one. I scouted around and sure enough all the suppliers but Goldspot were out of the production line, and Goldspot remaining few were at some discount. So I grabbed it.  Despite everything else I have ordered being unbearably slow to arrive, the pen showed up promptly, and it is quite the cutie! Still have not inked it up.

Nothing too exotic or elaborate - just two Pilot Vanishing Points - one in blue carbonesque and one in blue and gold -  both with fine nibs.  I find them to be useful for my work.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Last Impuslive Pen Purchase - Mont Blanc R Kippling Limited Edition Fountain Pen with Medium nib. My favouritye pen by far to date, writes beautifully and got quite a big pen it sits comfortably in the hand.

9 hours ago, sombrueil said:

An Edison Pearlette in "fingerpaint". I read that they were discontinuing the Pearlette, and I've always hankered for one. I scouted around and sure enough all the suppliers but Goldspot were out of the production line, and Goldspot remaining few were at some discount. So I grabbed it.  Despite everything else I have ordered being unbearably slow to arrive, the pen showed up promptly, and it is quite the cutie! Still have not inked it up.

Nice. Enjoy the pen. The Pearlette might be my favorite Edison pen. Mine is also in Fingerpaint, which is to me a fun color scheme. Size-wise it reminds me a lot if the Pelikan M200. Looks-wise, it is a different animal.