What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

I had £20, and ordered 4 Chinese pens through e-bay using the Chinese section of this forum to work out which ones were likely to be good.

I got a Kagileu 356, which is proving to be a nice pen - lovely nib.

A couple of Baoer 388s which are pretty good. Better made than the Kagileu, but the nib on the Kagileu is substantially better.

A Hero 382 - which is nicely made, but it burping ink a bit. It's a nice pen, but I'll probably use it as a desk pen - as it's not travelling well.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Every pen I've ever bought.

Me too. :)

Last was the Visconti Opera Crystal and Montblanc 90th Anniversary LeGrand.

I had some pens up for sale. I got a buyer, who had bought from me once before offer to purchase 2 of them. Feeling good about that sale and others I had pending, I splurged on a #3776 in Chartres Blue & Rhodium trim (I think the Rhodium trip looks fantastic on this particular pen). I paid full price as I really liked the specific pen I had in my hand, could get a warrentee instead of saving a few bucks, waiting on shipping and gambling that the pen would be a good one.

Iffy, but yeah, I overpaid. Then the next morning the sale fell through. ugh.

On the plus side the $3776 Century in Chartres blue & rhodium trim writes like a dream and is pretty and is inked with Diamine Blue Velvet (perfect match and a lovely ink) and is a heck of a pen and I have used it almost exclusively/non-stop since.

.... But I kid you not. I am literally counting change to buy dinner tonight.

(oops)

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I have bought and received two days ago a Duke 2009 Charles Chaplin, a rather expensive anglo-chinese FP, that has the particularity of weighing an impressive 75g and, frankly, I am delighted because it writes like a very good medium and also because I like heavy pens (I don't write for long sessions as a student or a professional writer does).

For all its weight, that pen is still well balanced. Just don't drop it. The lacquer turned out to be too slick for me, though, and I dropped mine, nib down, into my sink basin the day I unpacked it. (Maybe I was a bit shakey; it was the week after our daughter was born. She'll be ten in January and that's still the worst damage I've done to a nib.)

Edited by Samthor

I bought a lovely blue Namiki/Pilot Falcon, it was delivered last week, I had it for less than a week.

Yesterday, it went missing from my desk.

Grrrr.

If I pare down to only the pens I would like to write with, I will have at least a hundred. If I pare down to all the fountain pens I will use, I will have perhaps four. Adding the pens that have some sentimental connection, there will be six. I know that this is absolutely impossible.

I tried to write a sales ad today to dump three, a Montblanc 146, an Esterbrook J with a 2312 italic nib and a Waterman Carene. I will have to try again tomorrow.

I don't want to write with a hundred pens. Choosing which one of a hundred to use would take far too much time. Choosing one from twenty -- much more my speed. The memento pens are a separate category. <smiley>

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I bought a lovely blue Namiki/Pilot Falcon, it was delivered last week, I had it for less than a week.

Yesterday, it went missing from my desk.

Grrrr.

If you mean your desk at work, that is why I stopped taking expensive stuff to work.

Soon after college, I had a gold Cross pen stolen from my desk at work. Over 25 years later, I am still POed at that incident.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

This about 2 hours ago. I haven't bought anything for a good few months, but I really like the idea of a totally see-through eyedropper - and it's so cheap! We'll see whether it writes at all well when it arrives next month.

I have a few of these and they write surprisingly well. Real bargains, these Indian piston fillers. I mainly use them for the "less safe" inks.

An old Sheaffer school pen, just like the ones I used in grade school.

And the darn thing writes WELL.

May I ask how much it went for? I am seeing them at some prices that amaze me.

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

I fell off the wagon a couple of days ago. Maybe that's why I'm paying another relatively rare visit to FPN now. Maybe I can stay here for longer than usual this time.

I'm waiting for some Jinhao Ebony Jewel fountain pens.

Of course I have enough fountain pens. And I can't really afford to spend money on anything other than basic living expenses. But here I go again getting multiple fountain pens. At least I tend to get relatively inexpensive fountain pens. I even found myself sniffing around up here at some ink sales. I already have so much ink. Must resist from now on!

On a sacred quest for the perfect blue ink mixture!

ink stained wretch filling inkwell

If you mean your desk at work, that is why I stopped taking expensive stuff to work.

Soon after college, I had a gold Cross pen stolen from my desk at work. Over 25 years later, I am still POed at that incident.

Yes - I'm a teacher. I almost never leave my pens alone on my desk, but I did and I stepped out for a minute. And then I realized it was gone the next class period. :-/ I've never had one go missing before, and the feeling was worse because I've never had students take anything from me before (in 11 years) and I JUST got this pen.

So now I'll be more vigilant. The falcon wasn't my most expensive pens - they definitely do NOT see the light at work - but I wanted to play with the soft nib whilst writing notes that are projected.

I fell off the wagon (or did I jump off?) three weeks ago. I hadn't bought a pen in over three years and thought I had enough pens. And I do have enough pens. But there was this cute, green P45 with a medium gold nib at a flea market, all grimy and hot and unloved in a display case. The seller was asking $5 for it. He took $3. An hour's soak removed the dried washable green ink from the innards and it proved to be a superb writer. The tines were perfectly aligned and everything. Now I have three P45s: F, M, and B and am back on the wagon.

Sounds like you did pretty good for yourself

This:

... (picture of an Esterbrook 048 Falcon nib)

<impulsive doesn't have to mean expensive!>

I'm with you. Those are quite nice nibs. There's a reason they were one of Esterbrooks largest selling nibs for over 60 years. Solid, durable, holds a ton of ink, moderate flex (especially once you break them in) and much smoother than some of the really flexy ones.

I also like their other main falcon nib, the 442 Jackson Stub.

Congrats!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Sounds like you did pretty good for yourself

I know, but I have to quit lashing out with money like that. :)

Can a calculator understand a cash register?