What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

Ariel Kulloch is a jeweler/metalsmith, who apparently bought out the equipment from Parker's South American plant (in Argentina?) when it was shut down.  For a number of years he made "specialty" Parker 51s, often with very ornamental metal caps.  I met him at the first pen show I ever went to (I was looking for something specific -- don't remember what now, but clearly Parker related -- and someone pointed him out to me as a possible source) and I had this very odd 3-way conversation with him, with his sister as the translator.  

I'd heard he'd gotten out of the pen business a couple of years ago.  Admittedly, I thought a lot of his creations were a little bling-y for my taste (one of the things I like about vintage 51s is that they are very understated looking pens, but of course are phenomenal writing instruments).  But there was no denying the craftsmanship.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

a little bling-y for my taste

several years ago I  got caught up in the Yard O Led hype and ordered an FP. The moment I opened the box, I thought “this isn’t me” and I sold it un-inked.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan

Well, most of the Y-o-L designs I don't particularly like.  But early on in my journey through the realm FPN, I saw a thread entitled "Show Us Your Silver Pens" and Pakman had posted pix of his Viceroy Victorian Grande, which was just STUNNINGLY beautiful....  Too big and heavy a pen for me (and of course WAY too expensive as well) but now my "grail pen" is a Viceroy Victorian Standard.  

Of course the only way I could afford one is to win the lottery....

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sure thing, essay faire.  Happy to help.  
His English wasn't so good, and my Spanish is completely non-existent (so I was happy his sister stepped in to play translator). But he seemed to be a really nice guy, from the short time I had dealings with him.

ETA:  And from posts I've read on FPN in the past, people who own pens he's worked on are really happy with them.

7 hours ago, essayfaire said:

@gweimer1 I'm impressed, but feel ignorant as I do not know Ariel Kullock.

Oh my. Time to Google, etc. In short: Ariel is an Argentinan artisan who, among other things, has built a niche market for bespoke revisions of iconic pens, the largest number of them being Parker 51s. In the easier category he would make new bodies and hoods, and sometimes the matching cap, out of exotic acrylics never found in the 51 era. The top end pens feature his jewelry skill with hand-crafted silver caps, often with exotic overlays and designs. Each is pretty much one of a kind. I'll leave an example of his metal expertise below. His work sometimes divides the purists, but his skills and imagination can't be questioned.

(P.S. FPN didn't serve up all the recent replies and I didn't see Ruth's earlier one giving background on AK. Anyway, just another perspective)

spacer.png

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I pre-ordered the upcoming limited edition LAMY AL-Star in Petrol just now; and passed on the Lilac that will also be released, but chose the ‘old’ Dark Purple variant instead; and, while I was at it, in order to top up the order sufficiently to reach the free international shipping threshold, also ordered the Opus 88 Jazz in white that has been on the clearance piles for months but seemingly attracted no bites.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

14 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Ariel Kulloch is a jeweler/metalsmith, who apparently bought out the equipment from Parker's South American plant (in Argentina?) when it was shut down.  For a number of years he made "specialty" Parker 51s, often with very ornamental metal caps.  I met him at the first pen show I ever went to (I was looking for something specific -- don't remember what now, but clearly Parker related -- and someone pointed him out to me as a possible source) and I had this very odd 3-way conversation with him, with his sister as the translator.  

I'd heard he'd gotten out of the pen business a couple of years ago.  Admittedly, I thought a lot of his creations were a little bling-y for my taste (one of the things I like about vintage 51s is that they are very understated looking pens, but of course are phenomenal writing instruments).  But there was no denying the craftsmanship.

I actually purchased a Parker 51 pen cap from him a couple years ago. It was never delivered. After several months and messages back and forth he finally returned my money. It must have been when he was going out of business. 

Current lineup:

Pilot Custom 743

Montblanc 146 LeGrande

Lamy 2000

Platinum 3776 Jade

18 hours ago, essayfaire said:

@gweimer1 I'm impressed, but feel ignorant as I do not know Ariel Kullock.

He does custom pen parts and engraving work on a lot of pens.  He's based in Argentina.

@JonSzantoThis is fascinating; I knew that nibmeisters re-worked nibs made by others, but it never occurred to me that there were people who re-worked pen bodies and caps made by others!

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

12 hours ago, essayfaire said:

@JonSzantoThis is fascinating; I knew that nibmeisters re-worked nibs made by others, but it never occurred to me that there were people who re-worked pen bodies and caps made by others!

Check out "Fantasy Snorkels", Tega pen company. He makes wonderful new bodies from modern acrylics for the Snorkel filling systems. I don't think he does anything special with the caps (I could be wrong about that). And he usually has a wide range of nibs available too.

No affiliation and I will probably buy one in the near future...

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

17 hours ago, essayfaire said:

There's also Chris Thompson, who is making Parker Duofold bodies/caps from newer, and more colorful, materials.

2 hours ago, gweimer1 said:

There's also Chris Thompson, who is making Parker Duofold bodies/caps from newer, and more colorful, materials.

Is he still in business?  I have a Thompson pen and love it.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

12 hours ago, Gloucesterman said:

Check out "Fantasy Snorkels", Tega pen company. He makes wonderful new bodies from modern acrylics for the Snorkel filling systems. I don't think he does anything special with the caps (I could be wrong about that). And he usually has a wide range of nibs available too.

No affiliation and I will probably buy one in the near future...

Thanks for the lead...🙂

4 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Is he still in business?  I have a Thompson pen and love it.

Off Topic.. While it's still in my mind, I just wanted to thank you for taking an interest in the Sandy1 ink reviews.👍

LINK <-- my Ink and Paper tests

31 minutes ago, USG said:

Off Topic.. While it's still in my mind, I just wanted to thank you for taking an interest in the Sandy1 ink reviews.👍

I need help with it.  If you have time.  

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

8 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

Is he still in business?

Apparently he is. He posted a page of about 32 custom pen bodies and caps, without guts, on the Facebook group page called Fountain Pen Buy & Sell, a few days ago. $200 each. Add your own nib, feed, sac and pressure bar. 

I just ordered a grey Jinhao 86 with an Art nib. I've been cleaning dried out pens again today and now keen to add some to my collection that might seal better for summer use. The screw cap on this one looks promising. The ordering is impulsive, but receiving it requires patience... not expected til April.

Will work for pens... :unsure: