What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

I agree. Most European countries have a disth that is variation on the theme.  I fell in love with Jaegertopf when I was in Germany in 1977.  I think it is made with rabbit.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• essayfaire

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/20/2022 at 7:18 PM, joshsx said:

the wife allows, I might console myself with an Emperor

The real hero! 👾

On 6/20/2022 at 8:04 PM, txomsy said:

It's addictive

Yessir! I keep telling myself I'm only trying all these pens for sketching and calligraphy, but even time-wise the ratio is tilted in favor of looking at and even buying pens. Hopefully, this will change 😄

On 6/21/2022 at 2:15 AM, AmandaW said:

:D Like this: large.KawecoPerkeo.jpg.94dd52bfda30ceb9a9e1d1770fb26cf1.jpg

May I congratulate you also on the nice pen-tray? 😄

I just stopped to think... you mean they're not all impulsive?

Anyway, I had a windfall in April and hopped on an Esterbrook with a prototype Triumph-style nib that never did go into production.  I'm at work and will have to do pictures when I get home.  I don't expect to ink it, but it's an interesting piece!

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."

--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

My Flickr, if you're interested

And old friend and I were catching up in the grocery store parking lot and he mentioned that his wife had found some old fountain pens her mom and dad had and asked if I was interested.  I figured some Esterbrooks and Wearevers but thought what the heck. Went over and bought all of them from her.

2 Sheaffer Snorkels, a Waterman Inkview, Morrison Tourister and 2! Sheaffer Ballance Black and Blues, a couple of advertising pencils thrown for fun. Great haul and totally Impulsive!

1798135182_2022StLewisprepenshowbuy.jpg.007f4dcaf2a63d710103901a46348c92.jpg

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

1 hour ago, PAKMAN said:

And old friend and I were catching up in the grocery store parking lot and he mentioned that his wife had found some old fountain pens her mom and dad had and asked if I was interested.  I figured some Esterbrooks and Wearevers but thought what the heck. Went over and bought all of them from her.

2 Sheaffer Snorkels, a Waterman Inkview, Morrison Tourister and 2! Sheaffer Ballance Black and Blues, a couple of advertising pencils thrown for fun. Great haul and totally Impulsive!

Fantastic haul! 

3 hours ago, trdsf said:

I just stopped to think... you mean they're not all impulsive?

Anyway, I had a windfall in April and hopped on an Esterbrook with a prototype Triumph-style nib that never did go into production.  I'm at work and will have to do pictures when I get home.  I don't expect to ink it, but it's an interesting piece!

No, some of mine are carefully planned and researched for best prices including shipping.  As opposed to ones that I run across at estate sales and antiques shops or the occasional eBay. purchase....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

2 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Congratulations.

Nice group of new (for you) pens. personally I am drawn to the Blue and Black Sheaffers. Guess I will add those to my "look for/shopping list for the (promo plug) Commonwealth Pen Show in September.

Wish me success.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

3 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

A special haul!

4 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

2 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

Fantastic haul! 

Indeed. There are some remarkable specimens there!

I'm concerned that I'm not making any impulsive purchases and too easily talking myself out of interest in anything. Now I've stopped browsing the auctions too... Is there a cure?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

10 minutes ago, AmandaW said:

I'm concerned that I'm not making any impulsive purchases and too easily talking myself out of interest in anything. Now I've stopped browsing the auctions too... Is there a cure?

No need for concern.  I passed on the Pi pen Conway Stewart was tempting me to by at a discounted price.

13 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

Wow, congratulations and thanks for sharing, @PAKMAN

10 hours ago, AmandaW said:

Cure yourself of, what, freedom from FOMO? 🤔

I've unwisely decided to give Leonardo Officina Italiana yet another chance, although in all likelihood it's going to screw up and disappoint yet again in terms of supplying a fit-for-purpose writing instrument in whatever leaves the factory to go to the distributors (or, I suppose, straight to customers if the company also engages in direct retail). All because I want to be ‘nice’ about getting free international shipping on yet another order in accordance with the pre-programmed business rules, instead of ‘argue’ my case with the retailer (who would no doubt oblige) to tack ‘the main event’ — rats and mice stuff on clearance offer — onto some other qualifying previous order.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

26 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

I've unwisely decided to give Leonardo Officina Italiana yet another chance ...snip... All because I want to be ‘nice’ about getting free international shipping on yet another order in accordance with the pre-programmed business rules, instead of ‘argue’ my case with the retailer (who would no doubt oblige)

Aha, I think I'm starting to get a hint of the hidden business model here... 😁

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

14 hours ago, PAKMAN said:

WOW! That is indeed an awesome haul! Congratulations on that find, and having such interesting friends! ;) 

Co-founded the Netherlands Pen Club. DM me if you would like to know about our meetups and join our Discord!

Currently attempting to collect the history of Diplomat pens.

2 minutes ago, DvdRiet said:

Aha, I think I'm starting to get a hint of the hidden business model here... 😁

All part of give and take. I balance the situation between not pressing the retailer to partially fulfil my orders (that individually qualify for free international shipping) over separate ‘free’ shipments when it cannot have everything ready for dispatch in a ‘reasonable’ amount of time, and even actively try to plan what to ship so that it can save on shipping by sending outstanding items from multiple orders at once (as long as it doesn't cause me trouble at the border), with having smaller subsequent orders tacked onto earlier, as-yet-unfulfilled orders for combined (and thus ‘free’) shipping. The recently introduced €50 minimum value per valid order is a little bit of a stumbling block; but there is still a lot of distance between €50 and €175.

I placed three new orders within a span of four calendar days, and two of those (including the one onto which I added a Leonardo pen not on clearance special, just for the hell of it) qualify independently for free international shipping; so I can't see how anyone (other than a computer following pre-programmed rules) would decide it's unreasonable for me to ask that the total of the three orders be combined into two ‘free’ shipments, one with all the items that are in-stock, and the other for all that are backordered. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Picked up another interesting pen, my first from this brand: 1960 Kaweco Transparent 55G 'flex' F nib.

IMG_0034.thumb.JPG.4dc72eda7a462f57e61b01172bdd9c5e.JPGIMG_0037.thumb.JPG.8f24f680af3b0dbad4adf0a27be88b4c.JPGIMG_0036.thumb.JPG.2324203778d32c0d90ef1aa10338bb62.JPGIMG_1344.JPG.4caa4850768c6b99d9c45f33b2897eb5.JPGIMG_1345.JPG.d555c7b2efb1fcbd5b2fec27b3ef00ab.JPG