What Was Your Last Impulsive Pen Acquisition?

lgbpinho

1 hour ago, miwishi63 said:

Do nibs count? I just received a three pack of Jinhao EF nibs from China that arrived two weeks after I ordered them!

absolutely

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• Misfit

• JonSzanto

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

It's also known as boredom.

I thought boredom led to creativity and innovation.

Festina lente

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

Some idiot let me into Dromgoole's over the weekend (it was me) looking for notebooks and stationery and I walked out with a Kaweco Perkeo to play with as well. Fun little writer so far, and affordable enough I anticipate building up a small stock of them like some sort of acquisitive pen goblin. 

Edited by Rebbe
Cutting the tone a bit

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

On 6/11/2022 at 2:15 PM, txomsy said:

Not  a pen, but a Kaweco nib unit, tuned to semi-flex and EF point by Pablo of FPnibs.com

As usual, interaction with them was wonderful, and everything went smoothly.

Got it two days ago, and installed the unit on an aged Liliput pen, loaded with MB Brugundy and tried it. It behaves like the flexy nibs of my vintage pens and excels even in low quality copy paper.

While I am more than happy, I fear my next impulsive buy may be a Jowo #6 or Bock 200 nib unit with ebonite feed tuned to full-flex or wet noodle and a suitable pen that can take it. I'm trying to resist, though. But that's the thing about impulses, you never know if you will be able to resist.

Thanks for sharing, @txomsy, I feel inspired! (I too like very much FPNibs and now I too feel I should try such a nib. Or must? 😄

On 6/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, JulieParadise said:

This surprised me a bit, and I'm left baffled: Don't you all hit the BUY!!! button while shouting "Yeahhh, YEAHh, that's it!! Gotcha!!!" 

🥳

Oh, no, sometimes it's whispering "We two will have such a lovely time together, port and cheese and fine art, but I'm not gonna make up your mind for you. I've said what I had to say, fair's fair, but deep down you know this will be great!" 😆

On 6/15/2022 at 8:59 PM, DvdRiet said:

My last impulse (pen) acquisition was not so much a pen as a pen box - a 100-pen collector's box to house all of my future impulse pen acquisitions!

Meta-impulse! Like buying a stadium for music performances... It's going to fill up sooner rather than later, and you're going to enjoy it very much! 🎉🏟️

On 6/17/2022 at 2:28 AM, BinaEliora said:

A lovely Waterman 3V (dark) gray marbled with red bits and a flex nib. So pretty. 

AF5CF1A5-992A-4976-8C7E-FBAC18056CFA.jpeg

Oooh, very nice! I'm in a vintage-Waterman period too. Like very much the nibs, perhaps less the filling systems (those glass cartridges and their hosting rubbers are quite difficult for me to find/make work.) 

On 6/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, DvdRiet said:

😳 Well, at least you got your ink!

🤣 I'm trying to imagine, @joshsx, what would be the outcome when going in to buy a Nakaya Dorsal Fin [2]... 

On 6/18/2022 at 5:00 PM, Chi said:

Hello friends,

It's been a while, still busy with my project but wanna share this beauty.

the base pen is Pilot Custom Urushi Fountain Pen - Vermillion (M)

I have been eyeing this artist's work and finally this one catches my eyes.

Debated for a bit but used my still 3 months away big birthday as my excuse!

It is my first modern oversize pen.

Will update when I receive it.  : )))

large_pen.jpeg.37e6c06c0c17b871495ab975cd6487d4.jpeg

Oooh, wonderful pen, @Chi. I've never seen anything like this before, didn't wven know they do this on the Custom Uruahi, congratulations. Thanks for sharing and happy birthday in advance! 

53 minutes ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

🤣 I'm trying to imagine, @joshsx, what would be the outcome when going in to buy a Nakaya Dorsal Fin [2]... 

That will inevitably lead to disappointment, probably a 5% chance of it happening again. (the owner did show me a photo of a local collection which had I think 9 dorsals??  If you're on this forum, you're my idol, Sir)

If the wife allows, I might console myself with an Emperor.

1 hour ago, OldTravelingShoe said:

Thanks for sharing, @txomsy, I feel inspired! (I too like very much FPNibs and now I too feel I should try such a nib. Or must?

Beware, be careful.

Now I am trying to resist buying a second one for other Liliput, and a Jowo #6 full-flex. Only thing that retains me is I haven't a pen to put the nib unit in, which I'm also trying to resist buying (though I've eyed a Gravitas already).

It's addictive.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

2 hours ago, Rebbe said:

Some idiot let me into Dromgoole's over the weekend (it was me) looking for notebooks and stationery and I walked out with a Kaweco Perkeo to play with as well. Fun little writer so far, and affordable enough I anticipate building up a small stock of them like some sort of acquisitive pen goblin. 

Next time you go, tell them I said hello.  :)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

8 hours ago, Rebbe said:

:D Like this: large.KawecoPerkeo.jpg.94dd52bfda30ceb9a9e1d1770fb26cf1.jpg

Will work for pens... :unsure:

12 hours ago, AmandaW said:

:D Like this: large.KawecoPerkeo.jpg.94dd52bfda30ceb9a9e1d1770fb26cf1.jpg

Precisely! 😄

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done"  Ludwig Wittgenstein

"It is impossible to design something that is foolproof because fools are so ingenious." - Groucho Marx

Total impulse buy, but a great one. Found out my favorite pen blog/podcast teamed up with my favorite pen maker and I had to get it. Pen Addict x Opus 88 Koloro in EF, very similar to my Koloro in orange acrylic and green ebonite. Then added in a bunch of his swag, pencils, and notebooks.IMG_20220621_162007_064.thumb.jpg.e8fee89b51fece1760f5b2d49bb09cdb.jpg

I was looking for a website.  I follow Patrick Ng on Flickr. He has photos of the Manual Factory Bear. I swear I used to be able to find a website for Manual Factory. 

In my search, I’d see the limited edition Factory Green Travelers Notebook fountain pen. I thought I found it at a pen store online at a good price. When I looked later at the website, the fountain pen was out of stock. I checked and checked, only out of stocks.  There was one on Etsy for mid $60. But when trying to check out, shipping had it in the $80s.  Then I checked eBay. I found one for $75 including shipping. The seller had great feedback, so I bought it. 

This was after reading on a blog that a person who posted comments was able to put a Kaweco italic nib on the Travelers Notebook brass pen. Someone else recommended Sailor Studio 564 ink for the Factory Green pen. 

This was one of those in bed supposed to be sleeping moments. 

Posted Image

49 minutes ago, Misfit said:

This was one of those in bed supposed to be sleeping moments. 

I had one of those moments recently.  In my case, I created a recipe for chicken and mushrooms which I later fixed for dinner.  It was palatable.  In all honesty, it would only appeal to an old widower living alone who likes chicken and mushrooms. 

I saved the leftovers for a future moment of desperation.

5 hours ago, CRASHtheGREY said:

Total impulse buy, but a great one. Found out my favorite pen blog/podcast teamed up with my favorite pen maker and I had to get it. Pen Addict x Opus 88 Koloro in EF, very similar to my Koloro in orange acrylic and green ebonite. Then added in a bunch of his swag, pencils, and notebooks.IMG_20220621_162007_064.thumb.jpg.e8fee89b51fece1760f5b2d49bb09cdb.jpg

Super nice haul you bought. Thanks for sharing the photo of your goodies. 

Posted Image